• Update Broke Antergos

Hey Guys,

As the subject states, I was notified of a few updates when I booted up my dell XPS 13 this evening. Installed the updates and walked away, when I came back (about 30 mins later), I found a black screen with a mouse cursor.

I tried restarting and booting to both of my ‘fallback’ options with the same results. So…it appears that an update broke my system. What can I do to get things working again?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks,
    Asif

• @a4orce84

Hi Asif

In my case I am running Gnome, and here is what I had to do at the blank screen.

1 - Select Contrl + Alt + F2
    2 - Login with you name and password at the prompt.
    3 - Now apply the following commands;

sudo pacman -S gdm
    sudo systemctl disable lightdm
    sudo systemctl enable gdm
    sudo reboot

You will then, after reboot have a GDM login screen.
    It think the problem is with an update called webkit.
    All the best - Steve

• I have the same problem, does anyone have an idea if this can be solved with an update? or do I have to change to gdm in order to get a graphical interface?, does anyone know if gnome has can run without the antergos-welcome Interface? Do I have to do something else?

I’ve read some stuff about lightdm-webkit2-greeter, it seems Cenobite could be right as Antergos/lightdm-webkit2-greeter uses WebKit2 for theming via HTML/JavaScript

Hope it can be solved quickly T_T

• Cenobite,

You the man sir! After running your steps, I got everything working and was able to log-in again using the GDM login screen.

Question:
    I appear that I am missing one of my gnome taskbar menu’s on the left hand side. I use to be able to ‘pull’ it out by hovering near it, but it is completely disabled now. How do I get this back?

Thanks Cenobite !

• @a4orce84 Your welcome Asif.

Regarding the menu. (and I may be of base here) are you are referring to an app menu? If so then check your extenions using the tweak tool to make sure the ‘Applications Menu’ is on. Sometimes extensions reset after an update!

• Hi,

I faced the same problem, had to switch to sddm service, running i3, and now i also get screen tearing while watching videos, dont know if its due to switching to sddm or if its due to the update… anyway, once lightdm is fixed, will switch back to see if screen tearing still persists…

• @Cenobite said in Update Broke Antergos:

@a4orce84 Your welcome Asif.

Regarding the menu. (and I may be of base here) are you are referring to an app menu? If so then check your extenions using the tweak tool to make sure the ‘Applications Menu’ is on. Sometimes extensions reset after an update!

The applications menu was for the top unfortunately (looking at the tweak tool). Not the right hand sidebar, I’ve attached a screenshot I’ve found on google with it being displayed:
    alt text

That is what’s missing unfortunately!

• @Cenobite Thanks for that post, a life saver ;-)

But when would we be able to get lightdm back. And do we really need the whole Gnome Desktop to get the gdm loging manager?

• @dirkme Your Welcome.

As for lightdm being fixed, I have just a link, but the Ant-Spam bot will not allow me
    to post it here.
    Its under Antergos > Announcements and it’s titled;
    Package Advisory: webkit2gtk-2.14.3-1
    Hope it helps!
    Steve

• @Cenobite I did have that installed but didn’t help me much :-(

• @dirkme

Apologies, dirkme.
    What I should have added is that it is a link that will keep you updated regarding the fix for lightdm.

• @Cenobite Thanks, switched notification on for that topic ;-)

• Hi All,

I had the same issue with the update…last night was fine, but today was all black with no login. I did the switch to gdm and that’s letting me post this: THANKS!!

• @macspace Your welcome.

One more thing guys, do not update to webkitgtk 2.4.11- 4 as it is not fixed yet, and it will still give the same problem and break GDM.

Also do not downgrade to any other version of webkitgtk either as again it will break GDM.

Refer to Antergos > Announcements and it’s titled;
    Package Advisory: webkit2gtk-2.14.3-1 for updates.

All the best - Steve

• @Cenobite I downgraded to 2.2 something and it works just fine. waiting for the fix, meanwhile I have it on the ignore list.

• @dirkme Thanks for that info. I will give a try!

• Hi All!

Sorry, I am a newbie on this, so my question might be a bit redundant.

However, this upgrade also broke my installation last night. Since I am running KDE, would I have to downgrade webkit as well, and do I also have to disable lightdm?

Also, what is the command to downgrade a program?

Thanks a lot for your help!
    R.

• As the OG of this thread, I feel like it is my duty to report that this issue should be resolved. I just updated to the latest versions of lightdm-webkit2-greeter and webkit2gtk…switched back to LightDM…and confirmed everything works again with LightDM. Only thing is that it appears to be a bit laggy, when entering my password for example, but it works!

Feel free to update and switch-back everyone! =)

Thanks,
    Asif

• I am running gdm and have the blank screen with just the cursor showing, ctrl+alt+f2 or f1 do not work. Any suggestions for logging in so I can downgrade this package?

• @niem yes with no problem

broke11 Posts 27Views 3014