LightDM was buggy, so I switched over to GDM. GDM Worked sorta, but it had a few issues, for example, the screen would never sleep, so I was looking into alternatives for logging into my computer. Can someone please help me with either of these potential solutions?

For the two workarounds I am going to state below, I enabled automatic login to avoid GDM’s login (but I am trying to get a login that works better!)

I could make GNOME lock at start, with the command:

dbus-send --type=method_call --dest=org.gnome.ScreenSaver /org/gnome/ScreenSaver org.gnome.ScreenSaver.Lock

I tried putting this command into a .desktop file in both the ~/.config/autostart/screen_lock.desktop and usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/ directories, but none worked.

Or, maybe an easier solution would be to force TTY1 login before GDM starts, but I’m not sure how to do that.

Thanks in advance for your time.

=============UPDATE===============
My current workaround is having my X session password protected behind tty1.
First, I enabled automatic login for tty1 https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Getty#Automatic_login_to_virtual_console
Then, I set an alias in ~/.bashrc: start-gdm="systemctl start gdm"
At boot, tty1 starts up, and I type start-gdm. It prompts me for my password before starting gnome-shell.
This isn’t perfectly safe, in fact, not safe at all, but it is effective security against technophobes, which is all I really need.
Let’s just hope that GDM or LightDM or some DM gets fixed.