• Update manager / updates not working

Hi!

I’m having the strangest issue that has occurred for one and a half weeks now. Whenever I login to my Xfce desktop, or if I open the “Software Updates” application, then there are no updates available.

This is strange because I haven’t updated the computer during this period and I have grown accustomed to seeing updates available every 2-3 days or so. The lack of available updates seems odd. When I look at the package RSS feed from Arch side, they are constantly updated.

Does anyone know what could cause this behavior? I find it difficult to believe that there simply aren’t any updates available or that no packages that are installed on my computer have updated in the past week and a half.

Can anyone recommend possible tools that I could use to determine the cause?

• @antkes said in Update manager / updates not working:

Can anyone recommend possible tools that I could use to determine the cause?

The best tool is pacman. It clearly lists all possible causes:

sudo pacman -Syyu

• The problem was related to the Xlfe’s update manager icon which is shown in the system tray. This icon turns between gray and red to indicate available updates. I’m not sure what the exact name of this piece of software is, so if anyone knows, please add a tag to this post so people can find the solution if necessary.

It is this icon that hasn’t been working for the past week. User 'Just’s answer led me down the correct path, which was to issue ‘pacman -Syy’ in the admin command prompt. After running this command, the icon turned red and I received a notification that there were roughly 90 updates available.

So, problem solved.

• It’s best to always use pacman -Syu or pacman -Syyuu (the last one reloads all repos db info, and normally it’s not necessary).

Cheers!

manager38 updates27 Posts 4Views 371