• Gnome shell memory leak.

I’m running antergos 64-bit with the gnome desktop environment. I use the GDM display manager and gnome runs in xwayland session.
    After about a day the shell becomes less responsive, If I go to the system monitor I can see the gnome-shell process uses about 280 MB of RAM instead of usual 90 - 130 MB. After I restart the shell it again uses 90 - 130 MB. What can be the cause of the memory leak?
    All the software is up-to-date as of January 15, 2017. I also use some extensions, can they cause the problem?
    Thanks for your attention.

• @Irakli I don’t think it’s the same issue, moreover I tested the ‘v’ letter just now, it works without problem.

• This post is deleted!
  • How do I analyse the behavior? It seems like it takes memory when it just gets processor time.
    Update 1: Using alt+tab to switch windows increases memory usage, if you click on the tab key fast you can increase memory usage by 40 MB in 20 seconds.
    Update 2: Using LightDM instead of GDM solves the problem, but I’m still looking for solution with GDM.

• Using LightDM instead of GDM solves the problem, but I’m still looking for solution with GDM.

That’s odd as gdm is from the Gnome guys… gnome-shell should work better with it. Go figure.

• Could it be the fact that GDM runs 2 instances? More here:

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 18.04 64bit Gnome
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• @anarch Well, I personally don’t think so. This is the way GDM works now (aka not a bug), why would this cause the memory leaks? Also, the memory is taken mostly when I use Alt+Tab to switch windows, so GDM multiple terminals thing doesn’t look like anything related.
    Anyway, futher investigation is needed.

• UPDATE : Switching the keyboard layout also makes gnome-shell take more memory, although it’s less intensive. The keyboard layout switching menu at least looks identical to the program switching menu.

• Looks like a bug to me. Either wait for an update or even better, report it upstream: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/

Cheers!

• Slightly old thread already, but this is in the spotlights now. The influential Ubuntu blog site, OMGBuntu, reported on it https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/03/gnome-shell-has-a-memory-leak-and-it-might-not-be-fixed-for-ubuntu-18-04-lts I have stretched my system myself. Where the gnome-shell process initially used about 200 MB, I got it up to 1251 MB by launching a lot of applications, alt+tabbing, super-key’ing etc. None of this memory was being released even after three hours.

With 16 GB of ram, and as a laptop user turning of the system regularly, I never noticed this myself. For people leaving their system in standby and/or having less memory, it is a bigger issue.

Guess what: Alt+F2 + r to restart the shell restored memory allocation of gnome-shell to about 200 MB.

wayland46 gdm41 gnome-shell16 gnome 3.22.210 Posts 11Views 2791
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.