• Installation taking forever

Not sure why, but it’s been running an hour and a half and it’s still only 42% done, downloading at 14.30kbps or less, and I’m on a 3mbps connection. I’m new to arch and antergos, but the whole mirrors issue is a big turn off. I’m loving Antergos except for this issue. But I can’t “CTRL + C” to interupt the signal /downloads and recall last line and hit enter to restart downloads at faster speed/mirrors with Antergos installer. Hopefully something gets done about the list issues though, for both Antergos and Arch. Maybe have users reporting crappy mirrors and remove them totally and keep pushing out mirrorlist updates with only fast /working mirrors in future… I might end up going back to arch and do it myself though, at least with arch I can stop it and restart it quicker. I love the simplicity of Arch and etc, but the mirrors issue is the biggest let down… with other distros it doesn’t take hours and days just to install small packages and so forth.

Edit: yeah, this sucks, I’m going back to Arch or another distro. I couldn’t wait for a decade to get this installed. lmao And I shouldn’t have to edit mirrorlist like some guys did on another site. mirrors should be synced to the country you’re in automatically by installer or something. United States mirrors pushed to top of mirrorlist automatically after entering location / country, then next closest Country mirrors, etc… If in Germany, the German mirrors are put to top of list, and so forth. For all crap mirrors in general, just delete them totally and forget about those and keep updated mirrorlists pushing in updates when using pacman -Syu or -Syy etc… Sorry to ditch out already but it does suck to wait forever just to install it. :(

• I have installed Antergos two weeks ago with no problems and I’m very happy with it. You can change the mirror anytime before installing: HOW TO: Choose your mirrors before installing Antergos. Good luck.

• Thanks for reply, like I said above there though, shouldn’t have to do all that to have a smooth installation of the distro. I was just trying it again, now I’m stuck with the logo with the dots going underneath it for minutes on end (10 minutes or more, cause I smoked two cigs and came back and it still was logo with dots under it) and not taking me to the desktop… Although I did delete the previous OS with the live installer, maybe that has something to do with it. But either way, if it were a brand new hard drive without any OS ever been on it, it shouldn’t take this long to get to desktop. I used Rufus to make the bootable USB, but it worked before when I used Rufus… Too many complications / hassles /etc… :(

• Are you using USB1, USB2 or USB3? if i connect the pendrive into USB1 door the system is pretty slow, but it’s fine on USB2 door…

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• I normally use the front usb port on the dell optiplex 755 mini tower of mine, cause it’s right there and convenient. Back ports I think are 2.0, but forget what the front ports were… I upgraded ram to 8gb, 1tb hard drive, intel core 2 quad processor, etc … usually it’s pretty good and “fast” in general. .I’ll try it again once… I reburnt the ISO to usb stick again…

edit, put it in back port and still slow and not doing nothing… i’ll try another usb creator once…

• ok, then i really don’t know how to help you…

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• Apparently it was the usb stick that was issue, been touchy/delicate lately… it’s an old usb stick not a newer one, probably had it for more than 5 years. But did manage to get it burnt to the usb stick to get into desktop… and did that guide about the mirrors like it said to do… and went to install it and after selecting the packages to include for installation, (firefox, etc) … Cnchi popped up about ranking mirrors and updating mirrors… and the blue status bar at bottom has been going back and forth for several minutes now… Can’t win for losing… I can’t waste all day or many days just to get this installed…

Edit, wait now I got box for encryption of drive like I want… cross fingers

edit 2: nope, was only installing/downloading at 6KBPS, less than last time… LOL! This is ridiculous someone needs to seriously handle these mirrorlist issues… shouldn’t take forever to install and download etc… Sad shame too that this is /will be my only first experience with this distro… and never will want to attempt to use /install it in future…

Thread was started 4 hours ago, and still hasn’t installed once yet and hasn’t gotten past downloading packages because it takes too damn long… .Even after updating the mirrorlist per the help thread, the cinchi or whatever goes and fucks it all up and puts back the slow as fuck servers and won’t take the ones I’ve done per thread about it…

I’m done with this distro and this thread will be reminder of WHY NOT to go and attempt it again in future (couldn’t pay me enough to try it again later)… For an Arch nOOb, learning from various sources was easier and installed it quicker than using the GUI installer for this one… lol…

• Sorry to hear this. My first attempt was a bad MATE install with a black desktop and weird panel. But I tried again. I just installed Antergos on a laptop and a desktop with the KDE environment in the last couple of days and couldn’t be happier. The installation on my laptop took a little longer, being a wireless connection, than the desktop but not significantly. I didn’t pick any particular mirror. Neither seemed to take all that long, and I installed everything except the LTS kernel.

Samba shares worked perfectly, and everything set up really well. I just had to go grab a PPD for my network printer but that was pretty much it. I would hope you’d try to figure out the issue and try again, because you might really like it.

• Thanks for reply and some encouragement there. I don’t usually like when things conquer me, especially an operating system/distro, but it does get frustrating of course. When I was first learning Arch (still learning actually), I about threw in the towel and gave up… but I kept going and pushing forward with it. I might give it another try again then, in near future.

I had Arch installed how I wanted it yesterday (despite handling other things during the day) and in a short time frame, with lvm on luks, gnome desktop and many programs I wanted to use. And also even set up the icons and gtk theme and extensions etc to make it basically look like Antergos and was less frustrated doing it… Lol.

But, I do like choosing distros that look nice and have basically everything I want pre-packaged in it (example; Korora Cinnamon), so I have less time worrying about installing things and setting things up. I might give it another try again today, I dunno.

• Hi,
    Did you start cnchi with the --disable-rank-mirrors option? If not, it will always try to sort your mirror list…

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, from which country are you trying to install?

• @karasu said in Installation taking forever:

Hi,
    Did you start cnchi with the --disable-rank-mirrors option? If not, it will always try to sort your mirror list…

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, from which country are you trying to install?

Hi, thanks for replying… No I didn’t try that additional command string because it wasn’t listed on the help thread / guide about it… https://forum.antergos.com/topic/3267/how-to-choose-your-mirrors-before-installing-antergos So I didn’t know what other commands to use… only " sudo -E cnchi -dv" command was there in the thread…

I’m installing from United States… :)

• I’m installing from United States…

That’s really surprising, as one of the devs is from there… go figure.

I’ve fixed that post, thanks! (I think that at that time cnchi didn’t try to rank your mirror list…)

I’m installing from United States…

That’s really surprising, as one of the devs is from there… go figure.

Lol…

I’ve fixed that post, thanks! (I think that at that time cnchi didn’t try to rank your mirror list…)

Thanks for fixing post. I was assuming that’s what you meant to do on how to add that addition command line to the original one in thread, just wasn’t sure because things change over time. I’m using gparted or whatever now with live iso and formatting the drive quick again and going to attempt the install yet again lmao. crosses fingers I don’t want to bump thread for no reason so I’ll edit this post if I’m successful or not… haha

@karasu I tried doing the commands in help thread again, but the 3rd command for antergos-mirrorlist didn’t work. The first two commands worked… this command said something about not being able to stat it or whatever…?
    " sudo mv /etc/pacman.d/antergos-mirrorlist.pacnew /etc/pacman.d/antergos-mirrorlist" and I did the commands in order…

Edit 2: Well, I did step 1 and 2 in help thread there, but only first command for step 3 for the pacman mirror list worked. There was no antergos-mirrorlist.pacnew created/generated after running: sudo pacman -S pacman-mirrorlist antergos-mirrorlist

I then uncommented only the USA servers from the pacman mirrorlist file via terminal, and did the “pacman -Syy” from step 5 and it went nice and quick… I then ran last command from step 6 and it appears to be going quicker now compared to yesterdays attempt, currently at 16% lol. Here and there it goes quick and or then slows down to like 9kbps and then up to 300kbps and fluctuates.

@karasu Edit 3: Only 26% done since my second post edit 15 minutes ago… Lol… damn, hanging at 7.29kbps most of the time now… sucks.

Edit 4: Looking at terminal activity on which server sucks ass, it’s apparently the mirror.umd.edu/ that is culprit… >_< still at 26% done…still trying to fetch “gcc-libs 6.3.1.1” (205/794) … 6.32kbps

edit 5: gave up on that attempt, attempting it again now with only 5 top/upper listed United States servers uncommented once… 4:05 pm eastern standard time/getting disks ready for antergos. “ca.us.” server sucks… 6.xx kbps

Edit 6: mirrors.advancedhosters.com sucks ass… 7.30 kbps … 13% done 4:21pm… 102/794 … gcc-libs again…

Edit 7: still fetching gcc-libs from crappy server “mirrors.advancedhosters.com”… 7.54kbps … 44% … 4:30pm … still 13% done for installation…

Edit 8: still fetching gcc-libs from crap server advancedhosters… 7.35kbps /83% … 4:45pm … 13% done for installation …

Edit 9: 5:02pm … 34% done for installation… seems to be going a little quicker now…282/794

Edit 10: 5:27pm… 49% done for installation… another crap server again… dang taking forever man… wtf

Edit 11: 5:53pm… 62% done for installation… >_>

Edit 12: 6:23pm … 91% done for installation… fetching gedit 720/794… 8kbps…

@karasu Edit 13: 6:41pm … dunno what happened, little message thing popped up and it was behind terminal and i clicked a button by accident not seeing what it was saying… and restarted… pulled the usb /live iso out and now just blank screen with blinking cursor in top left corner… oh great… wasted all that time for nothing. >_<

• I don’t think there’s any way I can install this, it just takes too long no matter what I try to do with mirrorlists. I do what help thread said about it, takes 6 hours or so and still didn’t work and failed (read last post edits). I generated a list from arch mirrorlist generator for only good servers in United States and uncommented couple of them of higher rank ones only and same result… I tried doing help thread route again this time and only uncommented a couple servers out “worldwide” ones… and its going at 5.5x kbps… 3% done… it just takes too damn long. something isn’t right here…

Edit: I’m attempting to only install the chromium browser and firewall this time once instead of all those other optional packages from installer. see if that saves some time.

• I just did a reinstall with 17.1 last week and it took less than a half hour I believe. I think it took me longer to download the ISO and get the USB drive setup than installing the OS took.

• I just tried it without so many packages selected in the installer, just chromium and firewall … it went quicker to install this time and message popped up again…

Antergos Installer - Error
    "Can’t install necessary packages. Cnchi can’t continue." Please reference the following number when reporting this issue. error: 422330 … Happened while “Loading packages” was going on in the installer status bar.

@karasu Last bit in terminal where errors started, pastebin of it…
    http://pastebin.com/Y7Yk1Lhq

This sucks… :( :-1: Just wasted so many hours today/tonight for nothing… sigh. Could have installed arch, gnome, programs, setup theme and icons etc like antergos has 5 times in the time i’ve wasted with Antergos today… lmao

• @matteopa

I generated a list from arch mirrorlist generator for only good servers in United States and uncommented couple of them of higher rank ones only and same result…

Did you also check the antergos mirrorlist?

I’m sorry it didn’t work. As you can see in the log

alpm.error: transaction failed, pm_errno 34 (invalid or corrupted package)

so this could be a faulty usb, faulty mirror or a bad download…

I’ll do some tests myself, but I need to know which DE were you trying to install

@matteopa

I generated a list from arch mirrorlist generator for only good servers in United States and uncommented couple of them of higher rank ones only and same result…

Did you also check the antergos mirrorlist?

Not sure where to check antergos mirrorlist at the arch linux mirrorlist generator site? I tried getting some United States ones from here, for the regular arch linux mirrorlist.
    https://www.archlinux.org/mirrorlist/

I also tried the steps from your help thread about doing the mirrorlist updates… except the one regarding antergos-mirrorlist didn’t work, because none downloaded and was called “antergos-mirrorlist.pacnew”… It must have updated the one that was already there.

" sudo mv /etc/pacman.d/antergos-mirrorlist.pacnew /etc/pacman.d/antergos-mirrorlist"

Didn’t work for me, even AFTER doing " sudo pacman -S pacman-mirrorlist antergos-mirrorlist"… only the pacman-mirrorlist.pacnew was “created/generated”…

I’m sorry it didn’t work. As you can see in the log

alpm.error: transaction failed, pm_errno 34 (invalid or corrupted package)

so this could be a faulty usb, faulty mirror or a bad download…

I’ll do some tests myself, but I need to know which DE were you trying to install

I just downloaded it (live iso) again with “DownThemAll” Firefox extension and it’s showing 1.7gb in size and it completed downloading and passed verification. I haven’t tried it yet… But there’s other threads lately about “Can’t install necessary packages” or whatever… Hard to believe so many have faulty usbs and or downloads… Lol. My usb stick should be alright cause I used it all the time for previous distros and never had issues with it. I dunno though.

I’ll try it again once myself… see what it does…

@karasu Oh right, I’m doing the gnome desktop, sorry about that.

• @matteopa

Not sure where to check antergos mirrorlist at the arch linux mirrorlist generator site?

Nope. You have to check /etc/pacman.d/antergos-mirrorlist manually. Edit it and change mirrors so a different one is selected. So you know, cnchi only uses the first 5 ones, so change it accordingly. Remember to call cnchi with --disable-rank-mirrors or it will overwrite your changes in that file.

But there’s other threads lately about “Can’t install necessary packages” or whatever…

This message can mean many things, it’s just a “generic” message so the user knows that something is wrong and packages cannot be installed. Only the log tells us what went wrong exactly.

It could be that some mirrors are not updated, so that’s why some users (like you) but not all are having this problem. I did an installation (openbox) just yesterday and it worked perfectly.

I won’t be able to test this until I’m out of work (and it’s early in the morning here). Please, wait for me so I can check what’s wrong and you don’t have to try again and again.

Thanks!

@matteopa

Not sure where to check antergos mirrorlist at the arch linux mirrorlist generator site?

Nope. You have to check /etc/pacman.d/antergos-mirrorlist manually. Edit it and change mirrors so a different one is selected. So you know, cnchi only uses the first 5 ones, so change it accordingly. Remember to call cnchi with --disable-rank-mirrors or it will overwrite your changes in that file.

Oh okay, and I was wondering how it’s using the mirrors (first 5), now I know. I think they were all uncommented last several times I tried doing the installations. And yeah, I did do that “–disable-rank-mirrors” as well.

But there’s other threads lately about “Can’t install necessary packages” or whatever…

This message can mean many things, it’s just a “generic” message so the user knows that something is wrong and packages cannot be installed. Only the log tells us what went wrong exactly.

It could be that some mirrors are not updated, so that’s why some users (like you) but not all are having this problem. I did an installation (openbox) just yesterday and it worked perfectly.

True… ;)

I won’t be able to test this until I’m out of work (and it’s early in the morning here). Please, wait for me so I can check what’s wrong and you don’t have to try again and again.

Oops, I’ve already gone ahead and been installing again… lmao. It’s actually doing good this time for download speed, 87% done, think I started it half hour ago… Lol. And this time I did select most packages again in the installer for ones I want. Usually my internet is better at night from midnight until 8am, cause most in area are in bed and not using the internet. Oh, and I didn’t do anything with the mirrorlists this time either, I just waited for cnchi to update itself and started installation process. crossing fingers AGAIN (for millionth time) though haha

If I remember right, the first time I downloaded the live iso with “DownThemAll”, the speed dropped from 300kbps or whatever to 45kbps, so I paused it and resumed it (to wake it up and splash water on it’s face to get it in gear)… that might have messed it up. This time I downloaded it I left it alone and handle itself. 94% done with installation now…Dunno why but these damn “gcc” related files are a super bitch to download quick… wtf… it’s like they’re fighting tooth and nail to not be downloaded immediately. They need their asses kicked. … 98% done…

@karasu YAY! Installation Complete! Do you want to restart your system now? … Well hell yeah bitch! … lmao…

forever1 crappy mirrors1 installation175 Posts 22Views 2060