• Create Persistent Antergos Live USB on Windows 10

Hi gang. This is my first post and I’ve searched for an answer to making a persistent Live USB on Windows but found no workable answers. I’m using a 64GB USB, so there’s plenty of space for storage.

Does anyone have any idea if this is possible?

Thanks,
    Reynaldo

• persistent-Live ? or simply persistent?:cyclone:

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    http://kamprad.net/howto-installing-antergos/
    how to add system logs

• Does the OP mean to 1) produce an Antergos installation USB stick, to be used for installing Antergos onto a pc, or 2) to install and run Antergos from a USB stick, making a portable bootable operating system?

Both are easy to do, we just need to know what the intention is of the OP.

Cheers!

• @joekamprad Hi joekamprad, thanks for the reply. I want to be able to boot only. I am not installing alongside Windows–at least for awhile.

• @ColaBear Thanks for the response, ColaBear. Portable boot only, for now.

• Ok, here goes… Download the current Antergos ISO image and burn to a DVD to boot your system from. Make sure you can boot from the DVD. Then, disconnect any internal/external HDD. You will use ONLY the DVD drive and USB stick.

Once the DVD has booted into Antergos, connect to your wifi or LAN to access the Internet. Close cnchi, you will come back to it later. Open Firefox to to the following page, since Antergos is Arch with some added flavor. Read it carefully to make sure you understand the principles.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installing_Arch_Linux_on_a_USB_key

Insert the USB stick into the pc. Make sure it is NOT mounted.
    Open a command prompt (Terminal), by typing:

CTL-ALT-T

Then to be able to issue commands as root, type:

su (password will be blank, so just hit ENTER at the password prompt.)

To see the drive assignments, type:

lsblk (The first letter is a lower-case L.)

You should see drive letters such as sda, sdb, sdc, etc. with a capacity next to them such as 7.8GB, 500GB, etc. Write down the drive associated with your USB stick. it may be similar to “sdb 15.6GB” if your stick is a 16GB unit. In the given examples, use the correct letter for YOUR stick in place of X. Example… sdX for you might be sdb. Be VERY careful, you do not want to format the wrong drive.

If the lsblk command shows multiple partitions on the USB stick such as sdX1, sdX2, etc., use the umount /sdXx command to unmount the drive. Leave it plugged in.

To make the stick usable, it needs to be cleaned and formatted properly. Make sure ANY needed data is backed up FIRST. To clean the stick, type at the command prompt (as su):

wipefs -a /dev/sdX

Then to install a partition to the USB stick:

fdisk /dev/sdX (Simply use the defaults to make 1 primary partition. No swap partition or EFI partition.)

Once the partition is in place, it needs to be formatted. Use the following command (again, as su.)

mkfs.ext4 -O “^has_journal” /dev/sdX (this disables journaling)

For persistence, type:

e2label /dev/sdX1 Antergos

In the second command “Antergos” can be replaced with any name e.g., “flash” “myOS”, etc.

You can close the terminal now and start “cnchi” from the menu and the install should proceed as normal. Do NOT select “Erase drive and install Antergos” option. Simply select manual formatting and choose your pre-formatted USB stick as the target drive. At the option, select to boot from GRUB, not systemd. I believe cnchi uses the UUID method in the fstab, so everything should be ok. When finished, test boot the stick, if ok, re-attach your internal/external drives.

Hopefully this is understandable and easy to follow.

Hit back with any issues. Cheers!

• @ColaBear Thanks so much for the info. I’ve been in the weeds for a few days but will give this a go when I catch up!

Best,
    Reynaldo

• @ColaBear I’m not able to follow your guide.

When choosing to not wipe the usb drive in the cnchi installer, I need to create 2 new patitions. A swap partition and a root partition. This is not possible though, because the whole USB space was gone by creating a new partition with “fdisk /dev/sdX (Simply use the defaults to make 1 primary partition. No swap partition or EFI partition.)”.

When I do it a little different from your description (because it’s not working when I follow it 100%), cnchi is not able to install GRUB to the USB drive.

Any suggestions?

Kind regards

• I solved this (at least, to my satisfaction) by simply installing Antergos directly on a 64gb 3.0 USB drive. It provides me with more than enough storage and using 3.0 seems to be as fast as when I dual boot with Windows 10.

Hope this helps,
    Reynaldo

Posts 9Views 1068