• Initial memory consumed by Antergos Arch linux too high

I have installed antergos arch linux about 4 times and each time after I have installed all my needed application, the default memory consumed after bootup is about 1GB. On Fedora 20 or Ubuntu 13.10 and 14.04, it averages about 500MB. I’m not sure what the cause is. Part from the memory usage upon boot, I’m quite happy with the setup i had. I’m using ubuntu now.

My laptop has 4GB ram and since archlinux doesn’t support PAE it means only 3.5GB is seen, then 1 gB out of this is used up after just starting the system. On a couple of occasions my swap was used which never happend on other non arch based distros i’ve tried. I hope there is something that can be done.

• I have installed antergos arch linux about 4 times and each time after I have installed all my needed application, the default memory consumed after bootup is about 1GB. On Fedora 20 or Ubuntu 13.10 and 14.04, it averages about 500MB. I’m not sure what the cause is. Part from the memory usage upon boot, I’m quite happy with the setup i had. I’m using ubuntu now.

My laptop has 4GB ram and since archlinux doesn’t support PAE it means only 3.5GB is seen, then 1 gB out of this is used up after just starting the system. On a couple of occasions my swap was used which never happend on other non arch based distros i’ve tried. I hope there is something that can be done.

• Hi,

Arch places /tmp onto a tmpfs using the systems RAM. This normally results in much improved performance but on systems that have less RAM it can hurt performance. Edit the /tmp line in /etc/fstab to be like this instead:

tmpfs /tmp tmpfs nodev,nosuid,size=500MB 0 0

Now restart your system. Be careful that you do not make any typos or your system may not boot. If that does not help the issue, remove the line from fstab completely and run this command:

sudo systemctl mask tmp.mount

Restart you system. Let me know the results.

Cheers!

Posts 3Views 883