• Praise, and a couple of suggestions,

Hello!
    I installed Antergos last night, having heard of the project in the last few months. I am a long time Arch user, and I wanted to see what was the buzz all about. Turns out, there’s some really great things!

When they say for everyone, they mean it. The installer is a work of art. It’s simple, explains very well all the aspects, and it is gorgeous! The default user experience so far has been tremendous, and I really think I have found my new “new to linux? check out this distro” go to distribution.

A couple of things jumped at me though. The first one is a concern, the second one is nitpicky at best 🙂

I saw that Antergos gives the option to enable by default access to the AUR, which isn’t a bad idea in itself, but since using the AUR as a complete noob can be a bit dangerous, might it not be a good idea to explain better the AUR, the dangers and awesomeness? I feel like it should be it’s own step, with warnings and a proper introduction. Because if you are new to the whole process, it can be a bit daunting.
    Also, Yaourt by default isn’t the most secure AUR helper. Most of the AUR is fine, but I worry that installing by default a program that can execute malicious code without the user’s knowledge is a bit strange. Why not use another helper that doesn’t source the PKGBUILD before showing it?

And, for the nitpicking, wouldn’t it be better to have a dedicated IRC client ready to take the user to #antergos in case there’s need of help? While pidgin does a fine job when you know it, it presents itself as a messenger, and IRC is a bit buried in there.

What do you guys think?
    Also, I’m repeating myself, but great job on a great project 🙂

• @Synth_Synapses

might it not be a good idea to explain better the AUR, the dangers and awesomeness?

There’s a hoover text that appears when you move your mouse over the selection. Oh, and then a message pop up shows up explaining what AUR is. At first, we didn’t want to add that AUR option but then some users complained about “I’m not finding X app in your distro…” so it seemed easier to add that option. Notice that is not added by default.

Yaourt by default isn’t the most secure AUR helper

I know. To be honest, I was against adding it (I do not use it), but it was the one that most of the users used at that time. I got used to packer. Do you have any suggestions here?

wouldn’t it be better to have a dedicated IRC client ready to take the user to #antergos in case there’s need of help?

I fully agree. Do you have any suggestions? (irssi is a bit extreme for new users).

Thanks for you suggestions and nice words!

• @karasu said in Praise, and a couple of suggestions,:

There’s a hoover text that appears when you move your mouse over the selection. Oh, and then a message pop up shows up explaining what AUR is. At first, we didn’t want to add that AUR option but then some users complained about “I’m not finding X app in your distro…” so it seemed easier to add that option. Notice that is not added by default.

Oh! Redoing the install, I see the prompt. And it’s disabled by default. Yay! 🙂

I know. To be honest, I was against adding it (I do not use it), but it was the one that most of the users used at that time. I got used to packer. Do you have any suggestions here?

Well pacaur is a really popular choice, with lots of good features, and none of the safety risks. There’s aurtools as well, but it’d be a bit complicated for the new user I think. Pacaur follows the same syntax and flags as other aur helpers and more importantly, pacman. What do you think?

I fully agree. Do you have any suggestions? (irssi is a bit extreme for new users).

Well, there’s a gnome IRC client in development called Polari that is perfect for that. It’s basic, useful, straight-forward. It’s in the early days, but it works really well so far from what I can see. That or Hexchat maybe?

Thanks for you suggestions and nice words!

Thank you for the hard work! I’m glad I found this project, I’m definitely sticking around 😄

• Well pacaur is a really popular choice, with lots of good features, and none of the safety risks.

I’ll talk with the other devs. Unfortunately, yaourt is very famous… xD

Well, there’s a gnome IRC client in development called Polari that is perfect for that. It’s basic, useful, straight-forward.

I’ll add it to the ISO 😉

Cheers!

suggestions11 couple6 praise1 Posts 4Views 990
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.