• Black Background after update of Mate 1.16.1

Hello Anterguys

After the latest update of Mate, have all running well, except for the black background and missing wallpaper. I can´t change it. Any clues?

Thank you and have a happy 2017!

• Are you using mate gtk2 or gtk3? I’m using gtk3 and everything is fine. The gtk2 is buggy on my pc.
    Did you install mate-tweak-tool? If so you can try to enable something like “view icons on desktop”

• I think is GTK2, how do i enable GTK3?

Thank you Fernando!

• Fernando, with the Mate Tweak Tool, i disable/re-enable the “Show icon desktop” (it was enabled by default) and now i see my Wallpaper! :D thank you!!!

• ok, i’m glad it worked for you (didn’t work for me once heeheheh)
    You’re welcome 👍

• @fernandomaroto , today after the shutdown, the black background comes again :( . Now the Mate Tweak trick doesn´t work. How i change from GTK2 to GTK3?

Thanks!

• Hi!
    That’s sad!!
    Ok first you should uninstall mate:
    sudo pacman -R mate mate-extra

Clean your cache (let’s make a backup first):
    sudo cp -r /var/cache/pacman/pkg /var/cache/pacman/pkg.bak
    sudo pacman -Scc

Then install mate-gtk3
    sudo pacman -S mate-gtk3 mate-extra-gtk3

See if it works…

• Fernando, i installed mate-gtk3. Now i can see my wallpaper :) , but had several conflicts between gtk3 and gtk2 packages…that´s weird

libmateweather y libmateweather-gtk3 están en conflicto. ¿Quitar libmateweather-gtk3? [s/N] 

• hum… yes you can uninstall, perhaps should be uninstalled with sudo pacman -Rns mate mate-extra but you fixed manually then…
    Everytime you update your system you’ll get the message like “the package version is newer than the blablah”, but it’s not a problem… hehehe

• @fernandomaroto , i cannot uninstall the gtk2 packages :(

Also cannot install the mint-menu :(

sudo pacman -Rns mate mate-extra
    error: no se pudo preparar la operación (no se pudieron satisfacer las dependencias)
    :: mate-control-center-gtk3: quitando «mate-menus» se rompe la dependencia con «mate-menus»
    :: mate-panel-gtk3: quitando «mate-menus» se rompe la dependencia con «mate-menus»
    :: mate-screensaver-gtk3: quitando «mate-menus» se rompe la dependencia con «mate-menus»
    :: mate-screensaver-gtk3: quitando «mate-session-manager» se rompe la dependencia con «mate-session-manager»

• ok… do you have another DE installed? I guess you can’t be logged into Mate while trying to unisntall it. (so enter other DE and type the commands)…
    Or if you write the commands on a paper you can pres Ctrl + Alt + F2 at login screen to do a terminal login, type the commands then reboot your pc…

• @fernandomaroto No Fernando, the only DE here is Mate. I did all the instructions of the uninstall/reinstall of mate desktop with your commands in the console with Ctrl + Alt + F2 before the graphical interface appears at the boot, and after the commands, reboot…

• according to this [https://antergos.com/wiki/desktops/how-to-reset-an-existing-mate-set-up/](link url)
    you should uninstall mate-tweak-tool first, give it a try and then follow the previous commands:
    sudo pacman -R mate-tweak
    If that doens’t work then i don’t know what else you can do…

• Thanks Fernando, i´m going to reinstall again the Mate desktop with the commands of the article ;)

• This bug happened to me too !
    I have an amd r7 250 (O.C) graphics card , maybe something has to do with it ?
    Also gtk3 mate seems difficult to install something wrong about the packages,dependencies etc.

black71 background13 mate desktop4 Posts 15Views 3176
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.