• Antergos Macbook runs very hot

I really, really love Antergos, but I’ve noticed that it runs very hot. At idle, it sits around 50c, but even if I am simply watching a youtube video, it climbs to 70-80C. I have read various topics here and on other resources documenting a similar issue, but none of their solutions have solved my probem. I have done a number of things to try to alleviate this problem, but to no avail.

I have installed mbpfan, which helps to set a min/max fan RPM.
    Thermald, using default configuration
    CPUPower, set to PowerSave
    My graphics card driver is installed as well.

I have a late '14 Macbook Air, and I am running Gnome.
    I am unsure of what to try next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• @tree_fingers Have you tried tlp? (it’s more to control your battery, but maybe helps).
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TLP

Which graphics card do you have? Also, which wireless chip?

• Hi there, thanks for your help.
    I have just installed TLP. I will let you know if it helps. I have a broadcom BCM4360 WIFI chip. My graphics card is: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller, and the driver I am using is xf86-video-intel.

Thanks again for your help!

• So, after some experimenting, I think the problem has something to do with my wifi driver. I have been connected to the internet via a usb dongle today, and my temperatures have been MUCH lower. WIthout the wifi dongle, my computer would sit at like 75-80c watching video, using the wifi dongle it sits at around 60C. I would prefer not to permanently have a wifi usb dongle attached to my computer. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why using the broadcom chip would result in such high temperatures?

Thanks!

• Which driver are you using? wl? b43?

• I’m using broadcom-wl. I installed through yaourt.

• What’s the output of lspci -nn -d 14e4: ?

Then you can check if b43 supports it:
    https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43

Also, you can try enabling power management with sudo iwconfig wlan0 power on

• Thanks for the tip. B43 doesn’t support it, I think WL is my only option. I have adjusted the range at which the fans turn on, and I think I will just have to deal with the higher temps. It doesn’t normally get too much hotter 80C. It’s a small annoyance, but I’m not sure that there is anything else I can do. I really appreciate all of your support, though. I did try enabling power management. Perhaps this will make it a little better.

macbook22 runs1 hot1 Posts 8Views 1136
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.