• Openbox Install

I was able to boot into Antergos but the Openbox install is terrible. The team didn’t put any love into it.
    Openbox base, installed fonts are very nice.
    The OB menu was the default menu, it could have had the installed apps listed, which I was confused about. I had to install and run Menumaker. After starting OB, it took me to the blank screen and I started looking for xterm to get into pacman, xterm wasn’t installed.

It does have some apps installed but since I installed OB from the livedvd, I didn’t know exactly what was installed by default, now I see lxterminal and some others are installed.
    Just a thought on my experience.

Tower | Dell Optiplex 760 | Quad Core | 4gb | 250gb | Mageia Cauldron - Debian Testing - SalixOS 14.1
    Tower2 | HP DC-7700 | Core 2 Duo | 2gb | 80gb | Mageia 5 - ArchLinux

• I thought the Openbox installation was fine. I took a shot of it when I first logged into it.

I’ve changed everything around since then but I had no trouble finding anything with the default setup. Maybe your installation didn’t look like mine (?).

0_1483490495568_antergos-openbox-2.png

• After installing OB from the Gnome3 LIveDVD, it open up a Blank screen, the normal default for OB. Bringing up the right-click menu looked generic also. I didn’t know it installed some apps and some it didn’t, such as xterm. I don’t think the menus had icons in them either.
    How does OB looks after a fresh install? Should the menus show icons and did it have any panel/task bar included? Mine didn’t.

Tower | Dell Optiplex 760 | Quad Core | 4gb | 250gb | Mageia Cauldron - Debian Testing - SalixOS 14.1

• @ghostdawg said

How does OB looks after a fresh install? Should the menus show icons and did it have any panel/task bar included? Mine didn’

Hi! This is how Antergos OB looks . It uses the tint taskbar. (the devs did show it attention and love)
    Cheers
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsP5NiHrEdc

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• Maybe I did something wrong during installation, but I do not remember my menu showing icons. Since, I’ve installed and ran menumaker, which include most all programs but no icons.
    Is there a way to get Antergos OB menu again without reinstalling it?
    Thnx.

• @ghostdawg said

Is there a way to get Antergos OB menu again without reinstalling it?

Yes, there is. It s the antergos-openbox-setup package in the Antergos repo

Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500

• I’m sorry for being such a klutz with this. I ran this command:

$ sudo /usr/bin/antergos-openbox-setup ghostdawg
    Applying Antergos Openbox configuration for default, root, and the following user: ghostdawg.
    $

Now how do I apply it?

• I wonder do I need to reinstall? I’m not sure what went wrong with the menu having icons. The install process is straight foward, right? Once I install Antergos with Openbox, shouldn’t everything be setup by default or do I need to run the “antergos-openbox-setup” command before logging into OB? (run it from the console).
    Any suggestions before I reinstall Saturday?

Thanks.

• @ghostdawg Hi! as far as i understand @just said to run the command
    sudo pacman -S antergos-openbox-setup
    Did you try it?
    Cheers

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @fernandomaroto , this is what I get when I ran it.

(1/1) reinstalling antergos-openbox-setup [######################] 100%
    Applying Antergos Openbox configuration for default and root. Skipping the following user: ghostdawg.

Should I log out and back in? I did ran it the other day but no change. I’m not understanding what could be the problem.

• @ghostdawg perhaps you should install it before logging in? Open the terminal when the login screen appear, and try to install it…

I3wm - Mate desktop
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB

• Maybe someone more experienced should answer this. Because we re trying to install antergos-openbox-setup on top of an already existing openbox system
    @ghostdawg said in Openbox Install:

reinstalling antergos-openbox-setup [######################] 100%
    Applying Antergos Openbox configuration for default and root. Skipping the following user: ghostdawg

Why does it skip the user? Maybe the firdt OP install has to be uninstalled and then install the antergos setup?
    Can you give more info on how you originally installed your OP setup?

@ghostdawg said

Should I log out and back in?

You definitely need to restart the computer to apply the changes. But in this situation, where the user was skipped, I really don t know what the result will be…

• @anarch I originally installed it from the Gnome Livedvd. After Gnome started, I chose the Install to disk option and picked Openbox as my environment. I didn’t do anything out of the ordinary for my installation. I assumed it was going to setup everything. Ghostdawg is my first user.

Once I install Antergos shouldn’t everything be setup by default or do I need to run the “antergos-openbox-setup” command before logging into OB? (run it from the console). If so, how would a new user know to run the command?

My system is a Dell Optiplex 760 Intel Quad-core cpu with 4gb of memory. Using the default Intel graphic drivers.

IF someone would explain how to go about installing OB for clarification, but I think everything should be setup during installation!

• @ghostdawg , I see. You re right, if you chose the Openbox DE you should have the Antergos default. The package I gave you is to choose in case you want to add it to an already existing system as multi DE.
    In your case, I m sorry but neither can I figure out what might have gone wrong originally, nor advise you to keep on with the antergos-openbox-setup.
    I guess you ll have to wait for someone who knows OB, experiment with the above or reinstall it (maybe the latter will be the fastest solution).
    Cheers

• @anarch have you heard something about an openbox-reset the same way developers created to MATE DE? perhaps it’s a similar case. (don’t know why is skipping installation to the user too)?

I3wm - Mate desktop
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB

• @fernandomaroto , I d rather not take any risks to issues I ve never come across or don t know myself…:fearful:
    Maybe @karasu or @megaman know better…

• Hi,

Sorry, I’m in a rush and I can’t check this out now.

To reapply the default Openbox setup, just run:
    sudo antergos-openbox-setup ghostdawg

All your previous Openbox setup will be lost!

• @ghostdawg said in Openbox Install:
    @karasu, see below. As mention by @anarch, I wonder do you need a different DE installed first? If so, I would like to install a minimum Gnome, but I guess I would have to use the Net Install ISO, or I could install something else light.
    I also ran antergos-openbox-setup with ghostdawg user but no change. I ran it from a console before logging into gui, no difference.

(1/1) reinstalling antergos-openbox-setup [######################] 100%
    Applying Antergos Openbox configuration for default and root. Skipping the following user: ghostdawg.

Should I log out and back in? I did ran it the other day but no change. I’m not understanding what could be the problem.

• I wonder do you need a different DE installed first

Nope.

I also ran antergos-openbox-setup with ghostdawg user but no change. I ran it from a console before logging into gui, no difference.

That should do it. Did you run it with sudo like I posted before?
    sudo antergos-openbox-setup ghostdawg

Should I log out and back in?

Well yes. After running antergos-openbox-setup, you should relogin.

• @karasu Yes, inside OB (terminal) and at a console screen (ctl-alt-fn). I think I’ll backup this partition and reinstall, see what happens.

openbox33 install78 Posts 22Views 3546