• PacmanXG, seriously?

Hi there, this is my second post,

So I run Antergos for half an hour now. I must say I really don’t understand why the PacmanXG application comes with it. I found a ton of bugs in under 10 minutes.

Combining the close/cancel, Since there is no ‘running vs. waiting on user’ element, I never know what the button will do; destroy my progress or save it. This button explains, on itself, the reason UI design exists.
    Half the text does not fit in the window most of the time.
    When questions are asked like “you want to retry the built” there is no clue WHY it is asked. Since it is a loop after a (common) poor AUR dependency error, it’s not ‘helping’ by not explaining.
    The pre-screen where you choose su or su - or sudo, when I choose su, there should be a user to su to.
    Searching for AUR does not seem to work at first, no error, just blank. Cause was the user that was used to start PacmanXG.
    The Tasks view shows some ‘things’ with no comment or mouse-over. When a ‘check’ (or something) has failed there is no additional information.
    Etc. etc.

Why is this crapplication included? Am I using the wrong graphical package manager maybe?

• Hi there, this is my second post,

So I run Antergos for half an hour now. I must say I really don’t understand why the PacmanXG application comes with it. I found a ton of bugs in under 10 minutes.

Combining the close/cancel, Since there is no ‘running vs. waiting on user’ element, I never know what the button will do; destroy my progress or save it. This button explains, on itself, the reason UI design exists.
    Half the text does not fit in the window most of the time.
    When questions are asked like “you want to retry the built” there is no clue WHY it is asked. Since it is a loop after a (common) poor AUR dependency error, it’s not ‘helping’ by not explaining.
    The pre-screen where you choose su or su - or sudo, when I choose su, there should be a user to su to.
    Searching for AUR does not seem to work at first, no error, just blank. Cause was the user that was used to start PacmanXG.
    The Tasks view shows some ‘things’ with no comment or mouse-over. When a ‘check’ (or something) has failed there is no additional information.
    Etc. etc.

Why is this crapplication included? Am I using the wrong graphical package manager maybe?

• I do not recognize what you write. When i use it, i use it with satisfaction.

• Hi,

We include PacmanXG because it is the best option out of the VERY short list of options. It is not perfect but it allows you to do more than any other gui option. The Arch developers do not believe that a graphical front-end for package management is needed so most of what you will find are projects that were started and then forgotten about. The questions you mentioned are being asked by the yaourt pacman wrapper so you shouldn’t fault pacmanxg for that. If oyu would like to report the bugs to the developer you can do so here: [http://almin-soft.fsay.net/index.php?programmy/pacmanxg][0]">[http://almin-soft.fsay.net/index.php?programmy/pacmanxg][1]

I hope you will keep in mind that the pacmanxg developer, like most of us in open-source, does not get paid for the time/effort speant on his application. We should always be appreciative of developers who volunteer their time and effort and ask nothing from us in return.

CHeers!

[0]: <a href=
    [1]: http://almin-soft.fsay.net/index.php?programmy/pacmanxg

• @“lots.0.logs”:wm9f22y1 said:

Hi,

We include PacmanXG because it is the best option out of the VERY short list of options. It is not perfect but it allows you to do more than any other gui option. The Arch developers do not believe that a graphical front-end for package management is needed so most of what you will find are projects that were started and then forgotten about. The questions you mentioned are being asked by the yaourt pacman wrapper so you shouldn’t fault pacmanxg for that. If oyu would like to report the bugs to the developer you can do so here: [http://almin-soft.fsay.net/index.php?programmy/pacmanxg][0]">[http://almin-soft.fsay.net/index.php?programmy/pacmanxg][1]

I hope you will keep in mind that the pacmanxg developer, like most of us in open-source, does not get paid for the time/effort speant on his application. We should always be appreciative of developers who volunteer their time and effort and ask nothing from us in return.

CHeers![/quote:wm9f22y1]

Hi l0l,

Thanks for the reply, I’ll report the bugs and you are right, I may be a bit to hard on guys donating their precious time to a project I use because I’m to lazy to use the command line, didn’t mean te bully

Cheerio

[0]: <a href=
    [1]: http://almin-soft.fsay.net/index.php?programmy/pacmanxg

• No worries

Cheers!

• Searching for AUR does not seem to work at first, no error, just blank.

This is because you need to type in something to search for before pressing ‘Incl AUR’. This means, Include the AUR in your search.

I think it is a fine piece of software (though not perfect), especially since the developer is Russian. I use the cli most of the time, but when I do use PacmanXG (ex: I use it to get to the updates for the testing repo.), it works very well, for me. Yes, even Cancel/Close makes perfect sense to me.

I’m sure you will find the dev kind and responsive. Since he is Russian though, he uses Google translate to get from your English. So make sure you bug reports are very clear and concise.

Wish you all the best in helping to make PacmanXG better for the rest of us.

In God's love,
    †MaNNa <{{{\>< …to You all thanks and glory Lord Yeshua!

And Jesus prayed to The Father, "And this is the way to ete…

• @“lots.0.logs”:1lgrb1rn said:

No worries

Cheers![/quote:1lgrb1rn]
    that’s great

• please keep pacmanXG, I like it alot

• I also like the PacmanXG package manager. I have had no problem with using PacmanXG so far. I’m loving Antergos, I have tried most of the Arch based distros and Antergos is my favorite because of its uncluttered and clean implementation of Arch Linux and provides a good selection of desktop environments. The Antergos graphical installer worked very well for me.

• I’m moving over to Antergos from Manjaro on which I used Octopi. I finally found and downloaded Octopi and then had to download gksu to get things working but Octopi will work in Antergos. Now if I could just get my bluetooth working I’d be good.

Posts 11Views 2726