• Complaint about antergos-kde-setup

Hey yall,Ive been using antergos for some days now,and i have an issue with this 1 particular package…So,I did talk to people abt the issue,and they send to post it here…

So,the thing is whenever someone chooses to install KDE from cnchi,it automatically includes the package “antergos-kde-setup”…and that installs some softwares…hmmmm…bloatware…if u will…which some might not use…(eg:vlc,clementine).

And whenever,I wanna uninstall said bloatware…the package prevents me to do so…

I know…some of yall would say just remove the package yourself,but it would be convenient if the cnchi devs could remove it altogether…

thats all…
    PEACE!

• The purpose of that package is to apply the default Antergos setup for KDE. It can be removed after install if so desired. In the same vein, it can be reinstalled at a later date to re-apply the default setup to your system. If you feel the default setup is “bloatware” then I recommend choosing the base install and doing the rest manually. Cheers!

• @lots.0.logs Although I am perfectly fine with the basic choice of packages, I tried to uninstall Clementine before, because I do not use it. But doing so will give a dependency error, and prompt to uninstall the whole Plasma DE.

@srir4m You could install the plasma-meta package, which will solve the dependency issues, and remove unneeded “bloatware” manually.
    Although I am still wondering why you would call two apps bloatware because you have no need forthem. I think that the Antergos team did a perfect job balancing a minimal number of apps appreciated by most users, without overdoing it. :v:

Never to old to learn.

• @axioma said in Complaint about antergos-kde-setup:

But doing so will give a dependency error, and prompt to uninstall the whole Plasma DE

I think you misunderstood the error. All that would be needed is to uninstall the antergos-kde-setup package. Uninstalling that one package does not remove any other packages. It is certainly not required to remove all of Plasma just to remove Clementine.

• @lots.0.logs What happened is that when trying to remove the antergos-kde-setup package or Clementine using Pamac it resulted in a prompt to remove all plasma related packages. When trying to remove Clementine in Konsole, without first removing the setup package, will result in a dependency error. That is why I thought it would not work.

Following your suggestion I first removed the setup package in Konsole and then Clementine. This worked perfect.

Never to old to learn.

• @axioma said

I first removed the setup package in Konsole and then Clementine. This worked perfect.

Sounds strange. I have removed antergos-kde-setuptwice so far. On a clean KDE install and on a GNOME install where I got KDE installing antergos-kde-setup package. I have removed it in both cases in order to uninstall apps I don t use, such as Clementine & VLC, both using pamac…

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.04 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• I’ll put my vote in to maybe look at how the devs (who do a great job) put together the setup packages. for me as I am new to Arch and antergos it is a pain to basically go through an install then have to reinstall half the packages all because I have no need or want for some apps. ie… Clementine, kopete (whatever that does?), Sweeper, hp device manager, V4L2 Test Utility (again why do I need it / what do I use it for?), Knetattach.

and I would like to know why I need all the qt4 development apps like designer etc? what are they for? why are they there?

may I please ask if maybe antergos-kde-setup doesn’t uninstall half the kde desktop for trivial apps like Clementine etc. ones in which a persons own taste dictate what they want to use.

• Hi,

Tbh, we @developers don’t totally agree with having antergos-kde-setup package with the app dependencies. It has good points and bad points at the same time, and we can’t agree if the pro’s are better than the count’s or viceversa.

Having said that, I agree with @lots.0.logs that’s very easy to uninstall the package and then unsinstall whichever apps you don’t like.

About many of the apps that @Roo79x is complaining, most of them are dependencies. I myself removed pidgin so I agree that we could remove kopete, too. About Clementine, we feel that a music player is a must (you have to think about noob users that do not know package names, so a solution must be installed by default).

If you guys feel that the system is bloated, should consider installing base and then pick only those packages you would like to have.

Cheers!

• These are the dependencies:

'ark' 'aspell-en' 'breeze' 'breeze-gtk' 'breeze-kde4' 'cdrdao' 'clementine' 'dolphin' 'dolphin-plugins'
    'dvd+rw-tools' 'ffmpegthumbs' 'gwenview' 'k3b' 'kate' 'kcalc' 'kde-gtk-config' 'kdialog' 'kfind' 
    'okular' 'kdegraphics-thumbnailers'	'kdesudo' 'kdeutils-sweeper' 'kdelibs4support' 
    'kde-servicemenus-rootactions' 'kfaenza-icon-theme' 'kipi-plugins' 'khelpcenter' 'kinfocenter' 
    'kmenuedit' 'konsole' 'kscreen' 'ksshaskpass' 'ksysguard' 'kwallet-pam' 'kwalletmanager' 
    'kwayland-integration' 'kwin' 'kwrited' 'milou' 'nm-connection-editor' 'numix-frost-themes' 
    'numix-icon-theme-square' 'oxygen' 'plasma-desktop' 'plasma-nm' 'plasma-pa'
    'plasma-workspace' 'plasma-workspace-wallpapers' 'powerdevil' 'qtcurve-qt5' 'qtcurve-qt4'
     'qtcurve-gtk2' 'qtcurve-utils' 'spectacle' 'systemsettings' 'transmission-qt' 'user-manager' 'vlc' 
    'xdg-user-dirs' 'kdeconnect'

• @karasu I am a noob so how do you think a noob feels when they go to uninstall an app, in my case clementine and I find it uninstalls the whole kde desktop. if you are worried about noobs not knowing about package names how are we meant to know what packages to reinstall after trying to remove clementine? it is not very smart to assume that because a new user doesn’t understand package names they will not want to uninstall some apps i.e a music app to try another. myself I’ve been googling and I may have found a solution in kde-neon, from what I read they do not have a music app and users are more free to uninstall / install packages and apps without having to reinstall the whole kde desktop. thank you and all the devs for your awesome work, time, skill and effort. but as a noob having to reinstall the kde desktop just so I can have vlc as my player as I personally did not like clementine (I do see how many would like it though) seems counter intuitive to me. I also do not see how a noob is meant to know what to install from a base install to get a kde desktop without
    clementine
    QT V4L2 test utility (what do I need this for?)
    kopete
    hp device manager ( I own a brother printer )
    sweeper
    knetattach
    and Avahi
    these are the apps I do not know why they are there and clementine is the only app I really want gone
    also kde-neon has none of these apps / packages. So why does antergos?

• @Roo79x said in Complaint about antergos-kde-setup:

I am a noob so how do you think a noob feels when they go to uninstall an app, in my case clementine and I find it uninstalls the whole kde desktop.

That’s not actually the case. Removing the antergos-kde-setup package does not remove the entire desktop. In fact, it doesn’t remove anything other than that one package.

• @lots.0.logs on my current clean install through add remove software it in fact does want to remove the whole kde desktop

• That sounds like a bug in Pamac then. If you try it from the command line you will see that it doesn’t actually want to remove everything: sudo pacman -R antergos-kde-setup

• I haven’t checked but could it be that pamac uses -Rs instead of -R when removing packages? That would explain this.

• @Roo79x said i

@lots.0.logs on my current clean install through add remove software it in fact does want to remove the whole kde desktop

I guess there should be a misinderstanding here. Trying to uninstall Clementine (in your case) should result to what you experience above.
    But trying to uninstall antergos-kde-setup as suggested, should give no trouble at all, weather using pamac GUI or Console. It just uninstalls this one and only single package as I ve already mentioned in an older comment above and have just verified again.
    Cheers

Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500

• @lots.0.logs @karasu As commented earlier in the thread, trying to remove the Antergos-kde-setup, or an individual package like Clementine in Pamac or Octopi will result in a prompt to remove the whole KDE desktop. I have just given this a new try in a virtual set up and with the same result: 206 packages will be uninstalled.
    Using command line with -R enables uninstalling other packages as well. -Rs prompt to remove the whole KDE envirenment.

@srir4m Run this in Konsole: sudo pacman -R antergos-kde-setup
    After that you should be able to add and remove any package you want.

Never to old to learn.

• @anarch Interesting that we get different results.

Never to old to learn.

• @axioma said

Interesting that we get different results.

The question is why? I can only guess the answer is in pamac s settings. I don t really remember what its default settings are, but in mine, under General settings, the first box (remove unused dependencies) is unchecked.
    I repeat, I don t remember if that setting was disabled by default or I myself disabled it to keep some more control.
    *** I have never used octopi but is there some such setting, too?

• I don t really remember what its default settings are, but in mine, under General settings, the first box (remove unused dependencies) is unchecked.

@anarch That’s the default option, if you want to remove unused dependencies you’ll need to add in pamac config.

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• Thanks, for confirming it @fernandomaroto

complaint1 Posts 22Views 1006