• Like 0

Greeted by a blank screen with a pointer after installation

hi every one,
    i have a gl502vt laptop, i tried to installed antergos this morning as i finished installing and booted up i greeted by blank screen with a pointer. what should i do now. plz help me guys

• Like 0

@krypton27 , hi!
    What Desktop Environment did you install Antergos with?

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.04 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• Like 0

(1.) also, did you install to SSD or HDD?
    That is, dual booted and Antergos is on a SSD for example?

(2.) What graphics does your system have?
    AMD, Nvidia?

Download " antergos-wallpapers-extra " and enjoy community sponsored wallpapers.

Use the "Linux Beginner Search Engine"

https://cse.google.com/cse/home?cx=017607476515012185699:b_owgx6xyi0

• Like 0

I Googled the laptop and it has NVIDIA GTX 970M,

• Like 0

It also has a 1TB disk, so probably HDD.

• Like 0

I have the same problem, After installing linux with KDE and booting, I can select windows ok, but when I try to start linux, after grub a bunch of unreadable characters appears then starts loading but stops to a black screen with a mouse pointer…you can move the pointer but nothing else…should I install everything again???..Laptop Pentium 3540, 4gb ram, intel hd/Nvidia 810m, 500Gb hdd + win7

• Like 0
  • Like 0

@herbie yes it is 970m and i have both ssd and hdd , installed on hdd if that helps
    also installed from nvidia fallback

• Like 0

Did you install the nvidia (proprietary) graphics driver?

Oh, perhaps changing the login manager to GDM helps.

• Like 0

@karasu how can change login manager if it didn’t even show up, i had installed driver from cnchi

• Like 0

@krypton27 said

how can change login manager if it didn’t even show up

Ctrl+Alt+F2 (try other F keys if needed) to open a tty screen.
    Type your user name when prompted, then password ana then:
    sudo pacman -S gdm
    sudo systemctl disable lightdm
    sudo systemctl enable gdm
    sudo reboot
    and let s see if that fixes it
    Cheers

Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500

• Like 0

@anarch sorry for the long delay
    after doing exactly as you said it says “a problem has occurred and system can’t recover. please log out and try again”. i did a clean install and it says the same

• Like 0

hello anyone???

• Like 0

@krypton27 ctrl-alt-F2 , youi go normally to TTy screen.

You can use also chroot , to chroot intoo te system with your usb.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/change_root

or mount your disk root to /mnt from usb
    then sudo systemd-nspawn depend also if tyou have luks,

but greeter is the issue of the blank screen i got that feeling, doesnt work well :)

you must switch to GDM, works better for gnome aswel, or switch to lightdm-gtk-greeter…

• Like 0

Sorry, I didn t quite understand what happened
    @krypton27 said

“a problem has occurred and system can’t recover. please log out and try again”.

So, did you log out ans back in as prompted? If yes, what happened?
    Did any of the above commands return any errors? (seeing the output is very important if something needs fixing).
    Did you c/p them on to your terminal?
    What puzzles me more is thisL

@krypton27 said in Greeted by a blank screen with a pointer after installation:

i did a clean install and it says the same

What do you mean? Trying to boot shows you this “a problem has occurred and system can’t recover. please log out and try again”, again?
    Or
    You tried running the commands and after rebooting you came to the same result?

• Like 0

@anarch i ran the commands perfectly without any errors after rebooting i am greeted by a white screen which says “a problem has occurred and system can’t recover. please log out and try again”.

• Like 0

Ok. Two more questions. Did you do as asked?Tjat is logout and then log back in?
    And you also mention a new fresh insta. You see this message in the new clean install, too?

• Like 0

@krypton27 said in Greeted by a blank screen with a pointer after installation:

@karasu … i had installed driver from cnchi

If it means that proprietary Nvidia driver was installed on Optimus computer from Cnchi during Antergos installation, then this is the root of the problem.

More info in AnteWiki.

• Like 0

@anarch yes, i had logged back as asked and also did a clean install the result was the same

• Like 0

@just will give a try and report back :)

• Like 0

i again did a clean install without proprietary driver and i was able to get login screen but after logging in it gets freezes and i am not able to get in cli mode also

dosent1 Posts 22Views 1265