• Like 0

your favorite apps that people might not know about.

so many apps on linux its easy for some good ones to get lost in the mix. share some apps that are not as well known that you like.

ill start off with a few

Brave browser - based on chromium from the creator of firefox. been using this as my backup browser and i like how it works. could see switching over to it after it gets a little more stable.

nomacs - image browser. came across this last year and has some good options. so many image viewers out there but this one works the best for me. i use it over the default gnome image viewer

corebird - gtk twitter client. very fast and lightweight. i like it better then the website because both twitter and tweetdeck work kinda slow in the browser.

• Like 0

I don`t know if theese ones cover the “not well known” condition but here they are:

meld: compare files and folders
    fslint: find duplicate files
    darktable: photography workflow application and raw developer
    luminancehdr: hdr imaging workshop and also create hdr from a single image
    tintii: special effective colour effects
    pdfsam: split and merge pdf files
    mintstick-git: format and write images to usb sticks (LinuxMint tool)

• Like 0

i dont have that high needed apps :)

moere like

EID/MW eid-view - software for id card ( gouvernment stuf)
    google-chrome , both i have it from a repo, gotthank no aur :)

sometimes i install Mundus, to remove old configs in .config but i remove after, it is also kinda buggy :) but works…

Solaar for my logitec M570 trackball

and Pidgin for my facebook & gmail, im not a twitter, mmust find a twitter libpurple :) kde doesnt work with facebook-libpurple :(

further on my side not so special as mostly used programs :)

• Like 0

SMPlayer, it can restart sound/video files where you stopped, very useful for big files.
    SpeedCrunch, a very good calculator with options to export the math to text files.
    Easystroke, mouse recognition software, it improves the speed and eficience.
    Zim, like gnote/notes but with more options and creates text files automatically
    Guake, a terminal wich you open using F12 and has a lot of configurations like transparency.
    Redshift, control the light of your monitor according to hour’s days
    Shutter, to export images to internet links and other sutffs
    Abiword, lighter than Libreoffice, useful for simple tasks
    Dropbox/Megasync, syncronize in cloud
    Pinta/Koloupaint, good image’s editor, simple. Pinta has the magic wand to select parts of the image
    Uget/Transmission for downloading stuffs

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• Like 0

ranger: file manager (i3)
    moc: console audio player (i3)
    franz: social app to connect hangouts, facebook messenger, whatsapp… and more
    vim and visual-studio-code-oss: editor

• Like 0

Brave? That justanothercromiumclone thing which offers you to pay websites to block ads?
    J.

• Like 0

i’ve been using Linux since 1998 when I installed Debian from floppies on a HP laptop. Took two weeks to get it all working. The first real application I installed back then was MC, or Midnight Commander if you will. It is still the first application I install. It runs in a terminal which is great since it has saved my a** so many times when X breaks or I can’t get into my account I would never be without it. Even now when I really have to move a lot of files around, edit system files and troubleshoot my system, “sudo mc” is what I type. mc can do all the normal file stuff including permissions and such. It can also do nfs and ftp which comes in really handy. So even on Antergos which recently became my go-to distro the first thing I do after install is to asking pacman for good 'ol MC.

//Christian

• Like 0

Kodi - My Film & TV series library/Player. Great streaming too
    Handbrake - convert all my DVDs to use with Kodi.
    Suse Studio Imagewriter - easy ISO to flashdrive.

• Like 0

Some of the programs I use:

Vokoscreen; for screen recording
    Master PDF Editor; whats in the name
    FreeCAD, Sweet Home 3D; for design
    Geeqie, together with Digikam and Darktable

And I almost forgot, an app I can’t do without:

Cherrytree; A hierarchical note taking application

Never to old to learn.

• Like 0

FSArchiver - is a system tool that allows you to save the contents of a file-system to a compressed archive file. The file-system can be restored on a partition which has a different size and it can be restored on a different file-system.
    Sakura - is a terminal emulator based just on GTK and VTE. It’s a terminal emulator with few dependencies

Tower | Dell Optiplex 760 | Quad Core | 4gb | 250gb | Mageia Cauldron - Debian Testing - SalixOS 14.1
    Tower2 | HP DC-7700 | Core 2 Duo | 2gb | 80gb | Mageia 5 - ArchLinux

• Like 0

I agree with what everyone else already supplied. I also installed the xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin package. The Whisker menu is an alternative menu for the standard Xfce menu. I just like how it looks.

Lenovo IdeaCentre Q180

• Antergos with Xfce 4
    • Intel Atom D2700 (2 cores / 4 threads, 2.13GHz, 1MB cache)
    • 4 GB PC3-10600 1333MHz DDR3
    • AMD Radeon HD 6450A Graphics, 512MB
    • Intel NM10 Express Chipset
  • Like 0

glabels
    Simple and very usefull Label designer

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    http://kamprad.net/howto-installing-antergos/
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/1883/how-to-include-system-logs-when-asking-for-help

• Like 0

mpv (with scripts)
    Audacious
    XFCE Whisker Menu
    grub-customizer
    qBittorrent
    Terminix
    XFCE Theme Manager
    pacaur
    Plank

about1 favorite3 apps6 Posts 13Views 859