• Error with theme and system login process

Greetings. I’m pretty new to Antergos, and less than a year with Linux. Use it for my old Lenovo N500 and it really bring it new life, just in the last couple of days I’m getting this message on the system login:
    “An error was detected in the current theme that could interfere with the system login process” and only can choose “load default theme” to get the choose user panel. After that everything aparently seems right, but I would like to know if somebody else got such message and how to deal with it. Thanks!.

• journalctl might provide some insight.
    maybe, not sure, journalctl |grep -i login or perhaps theme

• @shuichih Are you using a 3rd-party theme for the login screen? If so, the issue is with the theme and would need to be corrected by its developer.

• @lots.0.logs Thanks for answer, but no, not using a 3rd-party theme, using the Antergos login screen.

• @herbie thanks for the answer, this is what I got from journalctl from the last login, seems something wrong?

Dec 22 07:01:27 lap systemd[1]: Starting Login Service...
    Dec 22 07:01:27 lap systemd[1]: Started Login Service.
    Dec 22 07:01:27 lap systemd-logind[265]: New seat seat0.
    Dec 22 07:01:27 lap systemd-logind[265]: Watching system buttons on /dev/input/event5 (Power Button)
    Dec 22 07:01:27 lap systemd-logind[265]: Watching system buttons on /dev/input/event11 (Video Bus)
    Dec 22 07:01:27 lap systemd-logind[265]: Watching system buttons on /dev/input/event4 (Power Button)
    Dec 22 07:01:27 lap systemd-logind[265]: Watching system buttons on /dev/input/event3 (Lid Switch)
    Dec 22 07:01:36 lap systemd-logind[265]: New session c1 of user lightdm.
    Dec 22 07:01:51 lap polkitd[290]: /usr/share/polkit-1/rules.d/lightdm.rules:3: action=[Action id='org.freedesktop.login1.power-off']
    Dec 22 07:01:51 lap polkitd[290]: /usr/share/polkit-1/rules.d/lightdm.rules:3: action=[Action id='org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate']
    Dec 22 07:01:51 lap polkitd[290]: /usr/share/polkit-1/rules.d/lightdm.rules:3: action=[Action id='org.freedesktop.login1.suspend']
    Dec 22 07:01:51 lap polkitd[290]: /usr/share/polkit-1/rules.d/lightdm.rules:3: action=[Action id='org.freedesktop.login1.reboot']
    Dec 22 07:01:58 lap polkitd[290]: /usr/share/polkit-1/rules.d/lightdm.rules:3: action=[Action id='org.freedesktop.login1.power-off']
    Dec 22 07:01:58 lap polkitd[290]: /usr/share/polkit-1/rules.d/lightdm.rules:3: action=[Action id='org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate']
    Dec 22 07:01:58 lap polkitd[290]: /usr/share/polkit-1/rules.d/lightdm.rules:3: action=[Action id='org.freedesktop.login1.suspend']
    Dec 22 07:01:58 lap polkitd[290]: /usr/share/polkit-1/rules.d/lightdm.rules:3: action=[Action id='org.freedesktop.login1.reboot']
    Dec 22 07:02:37 lap systemd-logind[265]: Removed session c1.
    Dec 22 07:02:37 lap systemd-logind[265]: New session c2 of user shuichi.

• @shuichih In that case, try enabling debug mode in /etc/lightdm/lightdm-webkit2-greeter.conf and then induce the issue a couple times. After that, post the contents of /var/log/lightdm/seat-0-greeter.log here.

• I too am seeing the same message at login. I am also only using the default Antergos login screen. I have no additional themes installed. The only customization I have added is the breeze cursor. It doesn’t happen every time and goes away with a reboot. I will keep watching for what you find.

• @shuichih said

“An error was detected in the current theme that could interfere with the system login process” and only can choose “load default theme” to get the choose user panel

I, too, am having the same issue to my only machine where I haven t ditched lightDM. Nothing has ever been changed, everything is default. I don t know when it started because I turn it on once a week just to update it (I remember last time I got it updated there was a “webkit2greeter” update, though)…
    There are 3 options in the mentioned message: " Load default theme", “Load fallback theme” & “Cancel”. It doesn t matter which one I click. All 3 give me access to login.

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.04 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• An update was pushed out this morning that should resolve this issue. Let me know if that doesn’t turn out to be the case. Thanks.

• @lots.0.logs said

An update was pushed out this morning that should resolve this issue. Let me know

That was a fix @lots-0-logs

Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500

• @lots.0.logs Indeed! Problem solved, thanks a lot!

• @anarch Im sorry to disturb this topic again, but the message appeared again after some days, i imagine some update touched it again…

• @shuichih , ooops! You re right. I didn t notice it because, as I have said, I use lightDm on an old laptop I turn on just to update every week.
    Please, change it to “UNSOLVED” again. I ii keep posting on a new thread started here, which seems more serious:
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/5778/fresh-installation-login-theme-problem/1

EDIT : Just turned that old machine and DIDNOT see this issue any longer. I ll keep monitoring it.

• After being resolved, this has started happening again for me today after updating.

• Gateway NV49C experiencing the same issue. Not sure which update caused it. It occurs after resuming from sleep. Enabled debug mode as mentioned previously and will post the results as discovered.

Pressing fallback brought me to a non-functioning screen, but the default brought me through, unlike the situation raised in the thread started by one with a fresh installation who was unable to login.

error146 system45 theme25 login61 Posts 15Views 1764