• nVidia Optimus graphics card with 2 nVidia GPU?

Here is the output of lspci | grep -i NVIDIA

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK104M [GeForce GTX 670MX] (rev a1)
    01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GK104 HDMI Audio Controller (rev a1)
    02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK104M [GeForce GTX 670MX] (rev a1)
    02:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GK104 HDMI Audio Controller (rev a1)

The nvidia site mentions this card is Optimus capable.
    Question: Does it mean it actually is an Optimus card? Do I need to install bumblebee?
    I never used bumblebee before on Ubuntu (Linux Mint), and it worked great with proprietary drivers without anything else added (it seems to me at least). I don’t see any Intel GPU or anything here…

I also find this suspicious that I have 2 HDMI audio devices when I have only one HDMi port, that’s why I listed those here too, just in case.

I tried to follow the bumblebee guide on the [bumblebee-for-nvidia-optimus @ antewiki] (can’t post link, Akismet complains it’s spam somehow), but it didn’t work so far. Plus, some sections are written before the system install step, but it seems they can only be done after system install. it’s a bit confusing.

The fact that I have no Intel GPU makes me doubt I need to follow the bumblebee guide, but on the other hand, stock proprietary drivers don’t work at all for me on Antergos.
    If I don’t install with proprietary drivers during install, nouveau works okay, but I have trouble replacing nouveau with proprietary drivers post install.

Question: what would be standard steps you suggest I take to investigate this? Any tips on how to swap drivers without the display manager not starting later on?

• @fremiwo said in nVidia Optimus graphics card with 2 nVidia GPU?:

Here is the output of lspci | grep -i NVIDIA…

It’s a wrong command. The right one is:

lspci -vnn | grep '\''[030[02]]'

Question: Does it mean it actually is an Optimus card?

It means nothing. A wrong command was used.

Do I need to install bumblebee?

No.

I never used bumblebee before on Ubuntu (Linux Mint), and it worked great with proprietary drivers without anything else added (it seems to me at least). I don’t see any Intel GPU or anything here…

Stock *buntus and Mint use Prime technology, though don’t inform a user about it. They do not use Bumblebee technology.

Prime uses Nvidia GPU only, doesn’t use Intel GPU, doesn’t allow power saving.

Bumblebee use both Nvidia and Intel GPUs, and allows power saving.

Prime is a simplistic way to use only one of the two GPUs available in Optimus computers. Both Prime and Bumblebee use proprietary Nvidia drivers.

I also find this suspicious that I have 2 HDMI audio devices when I have only one HDMi port, that’s why I listed those here too, just in case.

The OP’s title speaks about Optimus, which is a graphic-related topic. For audio-related questions, please, open another thread. Do not mix two different arguments in one thread.

I tried to follow the bumblebee guide on the [bumblebee-for-nvidia-optimus @ antewiki] (can’t post link, Akismet complains it’s spam somehow), but it didn’t work so far. Plus, some sections are written before the system install step, but it seems they can only be done after system install. it’s a bit confusing.

When you’ll be able to connect to AnteWiki again, please, post the links to the parts which you find to be confusing. No step, preceeding the installation, requires Bumblebee to be already installed.

The fact that I have no Intel GPU…

You do have it. But unable to find it.

…makes me doubt I need to follow the bumblebee guide, but on the other hand, stock proprietary drivers don’t work at all for me on Antergos.

Stock proprietary Nvidia drivers don’t work on Optimus computers not only on Antergos but also on any other distro.

To use stock proprietary Nvidia drivers on Optimus computers either Prime or Bumblebee must be used.

If I don’t install with proprietary drivers during install, nouveau works okay, but I have trouble replacing nouveau with proprietary drivers post install.

Again, it is not possible to simply “substitute” nouveau with nvidia. On Optimus nvidia needs either Prime or Bumblebee.

Question: what would be standard steps you suggest I take to investigate this? Any tips on how to swap drivers without the display manager not starting later on?

ANtergos Wiki: Bumblebee for NVIDIA Optimus.

Regards

• @just Thanks for the reply.
    I used the command you suggested before (by following the guide actually) and it yields more or less the same two lines

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GK104M [Geforce GTX 670MX] [10de:11a1] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GK104M [Geforce GTX 670MX] [10de:11a1] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Thanks for the info on the Prime usage in *buntu. I was not aware of that. This will get me to try new things. :)

I’m able to connect to Antewiki, I just can’t paste links here, otherwise the forum’s spam filter kicks in for some reason.

The part that confused me was 1) The BIOS part (I have nothing related to VGA controllers in my BIOS, thus I always skip) 2) Disabling nouveau before install. But I assume it’s actually for after install.

How am I able to find the Intel GPU if the above command didn’t list it? Sorry to be such a drag. I hope other users will find this useful too.

@just Thanks for the reply.
    I used the command you suggested before (by following the guide actually) and it yields more or less the same two lines…

Please, do not limit the terminal’s output to these two lines only. Post back here the raw, unmodified in any way terminal’s content, including:

• the (opening) bash prompt
    • the command, as it was typed in
    • the output
    • the (closing) bash prompt

The part that confused me was 1) The BIOS part (I have nothing related to VGA controllers in my BIOS, thus I always skip)…

Right, just skip it. This part doesn’t require Bumblebee to be installed.

1. Disabling nouveau before install. But I assume it’s actually for after install.

No, it is not. I suggest to never use nouveau on Optimus computers. To avoid using it, Bumblebee installation doesn’t needed. Nouveau may be excluded by other means, described in the article. It may done on every step, which preceeds Bumblebee installation - in live session and in the installed session not having Bmb yet.

Even if nouveau was not killed, as suggested, Bumblebee may coexist with it. You may ignore nouveau removing. Just be prepared to some undesired negative effects.

How am I able to find the Intel GPU if the above command didn’t list it? Sorry to be such a drag. I hope other users will find this useful too.

Well, I suspect that you make a typo while typing in the command. That’s why I ask you to post the full output - like in examples that follow.

I’ll use three commands. The last, third one requires two packages to be installed. Install them with:

sudo pacman -Syu inxi mesa-demos

1. lspci -vnn | grep ‘’’[030[02]]'
      I’d like to see your output in this form:

┌──[just]─[alexbsd]:~$
      └─> lspci -vnn | grep '\''[030[02]]'
      00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0126] (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
      01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GF106M [GeForce GT 555M] [10de:0dcd] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
      └─>

2. A stupid lspci | grep VGA
      Again, the command and its output:

└─> lspci | grep VGA
      00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
      01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF106M [GeForce GT 555M] (rev a1)
      └─> 

3. Inxi is the best tool to get all possible hw info, in very human-friendly format.
      The command to use is inxi -Gxx:

└─> inxi -Gxx
      Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
              bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:0126
              Card-2: NVIDIA GF106M [GeForce GT 555M] bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:0dcd
              Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
              Resolution: [email protected]
              GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
      └─>

• @just Thanks.
    I have booted a Win7 partition and found out that I may indeed have 2 nVidia GPU in SLI (that’s what the driver displays at least). No integrated Intel GPU then.

Here is the exact output (why not trust me ;P)

[[email protected] ~]$ lspci -vnn | grep '\''[030[02]]'
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GK104M [Geforce GTX 670MX] [10de:11a1] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GK104M [Geforce GTX 670MX] [10de:11a1] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    [[email protected] ~]$

I’ll keep trying and report back once I get bumblebeed properly running.

In live session with nouveau disabled I did:

[[email protected] ~]$ lspci -vnk | grep -A 8 -B 2 VGA
    Device: 01:00.0
    Class: VGA compatible controller
    Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
    Device: GK104M [GeForce GTX 670MX]
    SVendor:      CLEVO/KAPOK Computer
    SDevice:       Device 0371
    Rev: a1
    Module: nouveau

Device: 01:00.1
    --
    Device: 02:00.0
    Class: VGA compatible controller
    Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
    Device: GK104M [GeForce GTX 670MX]
    SVendor:      CLEVO/KAPOK Computer
    SDevice:       Device 0371
    Rev: a1
    Module: nouveau

Device: 02:00.1
    [[email protected] ~]$ 

Thanks for your time!

• @fremiwo Is it a laptop? I hope it’s not a desktop. And not an Asus laptop.

It’s not a question of trust. The situation is new for me, so I’m simply not ready for it.

Probably it’s a bit premature to install Bumblebee, until the situation is clear.

If you could run inxi -Gxx it would of huge help.

• Ah yes, I also meant to run that command but totally forgot, thanks!

[[email protected] ~]$ inxi -Gxx
    Resuming in non X mode: xdpyinfo not found. For package install advice run: inxi --recommends
    Graphics: Card-1: NVIDIA GK104M [GeForce GTX 670MX] bus-ID 01:00.0 chip-ID 10de:11a1
              Card-2: NVIDIA GK104M [GeForce GTX 670MX] bus-ID 02:00.0 chip-ID 10de:11a1
              Display Server: N/A drivers: fbdev,nouveau (unloaded: modesetting,vesa) Resolution: 140x46
    [[email protected] ~]$ 

It’s custom made laptop (CLEVO shell). The command was run in the live session where nouveau was disabled in kernel options.

It’s custom made laptop (CLEVO shell).

It explains something. The output of all three commands are coherent one with another, and rather unusual for standard, factory-made Optimus laptops.

At this point, I don’t know what will be a result of Bmb installation attempt.

But at the end, Bmb installation is only four commands long. Backup the system, run four commands, reboot. If it doesn’t start, restore it from backup.

Good luck

• Thanks for taking the time to reply, really appreciate someone willing to write something.
    As I’ve mentioned, for me installing bumblebee doesn’t seem to work, at least not by following the guide, I must be missing something.

In TTY I did

[[email protected] ~]$ cat /proc/cmdline 
    BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-linux-lts root=UUID=6de0c6e1-2ec8-40d5-8b61-a63dbc629c9a rw cryptdevice=/dev/disk/by-uuid/b40cc447-3fdb-4952-a6a0-18c4cea39b9e:crypt_root root=/dev/mapper/crypt_root modprobe.blacklist=nouveau
    [[email protected] ~]$ 

Supposedly nouveau was blacklisted. Then, trying to look for nvidia module I “accidentally” did

modprobe nouveau

And nouveau took over, my screen resolution is better. Went to enable lxdm, logged in the XFCE DE, and did:

[[email protected] ~]$ inxi -Gxx
    Graphics:  Card-1: NVIDIA GK104M [GeForce GTX 670MX]
               bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:11a1
               Card-2: NVIDIA GK104M [GeForce GTX 670MX]
               bus-ID: 02:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:11a1
               Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
               Resolution: [email protected]
               GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NVE4
               GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
    [[email protected] ~]$ xrandr --listproviders
    Providers: number : 2
    Provider 0: id: 0xa7 cap: 0x7, Source Output, Sink Output, Source Offload crtcs: 4 outputs: 4 associated providers: 0 name:nouveau
    Provider 1: id: 0x5f cap: 0x5, Source Output, Source Offload crtcs: 0 outputs: 0 associated providers: 0 name:nouveau
    [[email protected] ~]$ xrandr
    Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 16384 x 16384
    LVDS-1 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 382mm x 215mm
       1920x1080     60.02*+
    [[email protected] ~]$ pacman -Q nvidia
    nvidia 375.26-1

At least nouveau seems fine. But I can’t find out why the nvidia driver is not loading (yet).

• I fixed it (I think)!

I simply downloaded the nVidia driver from their site, killed my display manager, made sure no nouveau driver was loaded and ran the installer. Restarted the display manager and it seems to work now. Not sure if I’ll need bumblebee yet but most problems are fixed for me. Hope that helps.

• @fremiwo If the system actually doesn’t have an Intel GPU, and has only one (or two?) Nvidia GPU, then there’s absolutely no need for Bumblebee.

Bmb is needed to switch the graphics between two different GPUs, between Intel and Nvidia, during a single session. This is its main goal, not proprietary Nvidia driver installation. Bmb may happily work with nouveau.

If the system has only Nvidia GPU, then it is a simple, not hybrid, system which should work with driver’s blob from Nvidia site - exactly as you did.

Bmb is needed for hybrid video cards only.

Regards

• Could it be that that Laptop physically has two GTX 670 MX gpus? Clevo has/had barebones that allow to install two Nvidia gpus in SLI mode.
    J.

driver36 nvidia94 optimus22 graphics14 Posts 12Views 809