• Cinnamon Update crashes Antergos

with which driver is this install installed ?

• @fernandomaroto said in Cinnamon Update crashes Antergos:

@rrosner5 Do you mean open terminal as sudo in the live cd?
    Open a NORMAL terminal and type sudo [COMMAND]
    PS: It’s not possible to open the ROOT terminal from the live cd since it ask password, but you can open the normal one and type sudo.
    Cheers.

I already experienced that, otherwise I would probably not be able to even enter chroot, but what’s the command to open the file?

• @ringo32 said in Cinnamon Update crashes Antergos:

with which driver is this install installed ?

which drivers exactly do you mean?

• on xorg there is a short xorg log, no screen found… ?

• @ringo32 said in Cinnamon Update crashes Antergos:

on xorg there is a short xorg log, no screen found… ?

well, I have 100 folders and 72 files containing “xorg” in the name. and at least there is no xorg.log

EDIT: found two in /var/log, Xorg.0.log and the .old file of it.
    In linea 96-100 there is

Fatal server error:
    [    26.307] (EE) no screens found(EE)
    [    26.307] (EE)
    Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
         at http://wiki.x.org

• [    26.303] (II) Loading sub module "ramdac"
    [    26.303] (II) LoadModule: "ramdac"
    [    26.303] (II) Module "ramdac" already built-in
    [    26.305] (EE) NVIDIA: Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module. Please see the
    [    26.305] (EE) NVIDIA:     system's kernel log for additional error messages and
    [    26.305] (EE) NVIDIA:     consult the NVIDIA README for details.
    [    26.307] (EE) NVIDIA: Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module. Please see the
    [    26.307] (EE) NVIDIA:     system's kernel log for additional error messages and
    [    26.307] (EE) NVIDIA:     consult the NVIDIA README for details.
    [    26.307] (EE) No devices detected.
    [    26.307] (EE)
    Fatal server error:
    [    26.307] (EE) no screens found(EE)
    [    26.307] (EE)
    Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support

you using nonfree drivers, you have to chroot in,
    dont know exact how to rebuild te nvidia kernel , is dkms?
    sudo mkinitcpio -P , i dont know that much… i use, free. but it fail to load nvidia in the kernel log notice this…

• if you go to #antergos irc ? probably someone online; mayby also lot quicker to answer also.

• @ringo32 ok, I will try that later, but I’m surprised that there is no easier way. I would have expected that I can just uninstall the NVIDIA Drivers and reinstall them and that this would fix the kernel modules.
    I’m not using the nouveau drivers because they can’t use any hardware accelerations for all I know and Chrome always crashes the system when using hardware rendering.
    Before coming to antergos I tried a different, quite new Arch derivate where I had these problems but it wasn’t able to install the NVIDIA drivers without messing up the whole system…and since their forum was quite a catastrophy, I switched to Antergos and let it install the NVIDIA drivers instead of the Nouveau drivers, since I motsly use that PC only for video transcoding and gaming…though I will need to get WINE DirectX 10 compatible for the latter and the number of useable programs (= GUI and many settings) for the fromer is quite low I will have to see if I still need these drivers.

• I’m not using the nouveau drivers because they can’t use any hardware accelerations for all I know

That’s not entirely true. It depends on the hardware you’re using. Here hardware acceleration works ootb. ;)

• @karasu said in Cinnamon Update crashes Antergos:

That’s not entirely true. It depends on the hardware you’re using. Here hardware acceleration works ootb. ;)

Well, I have a GTX 660. But that still wouldn’t fix chrome crashing the system.

• @karasu if I would want to make the switch to the nouveau drivers, what exactly would I need to do? Of course I will have to get rid of all NVIDIA drivers. Is there somewhere a list of installed programs? I don’t remember which ones I originally installed and in the early stages of trying to fix the problem I installed drivers, possibly different ones than before. And then, just install xf86-video-nouveau, mesa-libgl and lib32-mesa-libgl and hope that I can boot afterwards?

BTW: the CPU in use is some old AMD Phenom II, so I don’t think I can use Bumblebee.

• Uninstall nvidia:
      sudo pacman -Rnsc nvidia-304xx nvidia-304xx-utils nvidia-304xx-libgl lib32-nvidia-304xx-libgl

You must change 304xx with the version you have installed (to check the packages you have installed you can run pacman -Q|grep nvidia)

• Then, reinstall nouveau (just in case):
      sudo pacman -S xf86-video-nouveau lib32-mesa lib32-mesa-libgl

• Remove /etc/X11/xorg.conf if there is one.

• Check that you don’t have a nouveau blacklist file in /etc/modprobe.d/ or /usr/lib/modprobe.d/

More info : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/nouveau

Cheers!

• @karasu thank you very much, I will try that when I have some time.

• @karasu sorry, the error still appears:
    alt text

But on installing Nouveau, Pacman gave me an error, don’t know if it is causing it or if that just means if it’s already installed. But trying to run pacman again to update everything, it also gave me an error.
    Here are once again the logs: lightdm.log, pacman.log (had to move it to Dropbox, 515 kB is 2 kB too big for pastebin…), seat0-greeter.log, x-0.log and Xorg.0.log.
    It seems there are NVIDIA leftovers, even though I tested with pacman -Q|grep nvidia and nothing came back (had to remove the 304xx-part of your description in order to fit the output from the first try).

BTW: Now in GRUB, it shows me these additional two lines underneath the normal message for decrypting the partition:
    alt text

Has that anything to say?

• A LOT of packages were removed here! But luckly then you reinstalled most of them. Always check what pacman is going to do before saying “yes” to it ;)

For starters, please remove libreoffice:
    sudo pacman -Rnsc libreoffice-still libreoffice-fresh

There seems to be some file conflicts with it ¿?

Then, reinstall lightdm-webkit2-greeter:
    sudo pacman -S lightdm lightdm-webkit2-greeter

This worries me:

[    26.305] (EE) NVIDIA: Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module. Please see the
    [    26.305] (EE) NVIDIA:     system's kernel log for additional error messages and
    [    26.307] (EE) NVIDIA: Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module. Please see the
    [    26.307] (EE) NVIDIA:     system's kernel log for additional error messages and

It seems that X is trying to load nvidia driver. Did you delete your /etc/X11/xorg.conf? (if any?).

Do not worry about the two additional lines.

A LOT of packages were removed here! But luckly then you reinstalled most of them. Always check what pacman is going to do before saying “yes” to it ;)

For starters, please remove libreoffice:
    sudo pacman -Rnsc libreoffice-still libreoffice-fresh

There seems to be some file conflicts with it ¿?

Then, reinstall lightdm-webkit2-greeter:
    sudo pacman -S lightdm lightdm-webkit2-greeter

ok, I will try tomorrow.

This worries me:

It seems that X is trying to load nvidia driver. Did you delete your /etc/X11/xorg.conf? (if any?).

yes I have, lke you said. in /etc/X11 is only xinit and xorg.conf.d left over

Do not worry about the two additional lines.

ok

• @karasu ok, I now have uninstalled libreoffice-still (fresh was already) and reinstalled lightdm and lightdm-webkit2-greeter. But there is one thing I noticed: I tought it could be a good idea to let pacman reinstall the kernel to get rid of the NVIDIA stuff. Well…

# pacman -S linux
    warning: linux-4.8.13-1 is up to date --reinstalling
    resolving dependencies...
    looking for conflicting packages...
    error: could not open file /var/lib/pacman/local/linux-4.8.13-1/desc: No such file or directory
    warning: could not fully load metadata for package linux-4.8.13-1
    error: failed ro prepare transaction (invalid or corrupted package)

is there an way to force it to reinstall? pacman -S linux --force isn’t working, just gives me the same error.

And I now got the output of lightdm.service even though I think that won’t help much:
    alt text

• Something is wrong with your pacman local files.

What does ls /var/lib/pacman/local return?

Try refreshing your pacman databases:
    sudo pacman -Syy

And then try again with sudo pacman -S linux

If it still does not work, you can risk it and remove all downloaded packages:
    sudo pacman -Scc

Something is wrong with your pacman local files.

What does ls /var/lib/pacman/local return?

This database .

Try refreshing your pacman databases:
    sudo pacman -Syy

No, still the same error.

If it still does not work, you can risk it and remove all downloaded packages:
    sudo pacman -Scc

Before I do that, I’d like to know what exactly is removed. Just downloaded files or all get programs I downloaded through pacman uninstalled? because if the latter is the case I would like to have a backup solution first to backup all programs to restore them afterwards.

• Before I do that, I’d like to know what exactly is removed. Just downloaded files or all get programs I downloaded through pacman uninstalled? because if the latter is the case I would like to have a backup solution first to backup all programs to restore them afterwards.

Very wise. ;)

What you do with sudo pacman -Sc is delete all packages that are downloaded in your computer except those that are installed in your system (so it will delete all old packages that you downloaded in the past, but not the ones of the versions you have installed).

If you run sudo pacman -Scc it will delete ALL downloaded packages, so it will clear you cache.

Both options won’t uninstall anything, just delete downloaded packages.

All downloaded packages are in /var/cache/pacman/pkg, so if you want, you can backup that folder before clearing your pacman cache, just in case.

Cheers!

cinnamon93 crashes30 Posts 59Views 14814
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.