• Crash with every apparent Cinnamon update

I’ve only been using Antergos Cinnamon for a few months and really like how efficient it is. I was a software engineer a long time ago, so I’m no computer fool. Every now and then, maybe every three weeks or so, I will login and accept updates. After the updates complete, I will see a dialog telling me that Cinnamon has crashed and do I want to restart it. Regardless of whether I select Yes or No, the system will no longer boot into the desktop, even after a reboot.

I solve this problem by wiping the SSD and reinstalling a few days later with the latest release (I have other systems to use). At first, I thought the problem had to do with a wireless card (this is a desktop), so I removed it, but the problem happened again. A few days ago, I noticed that there were Cinnamon updates and then the system crashed, so I wonder if Cinnamon updates have always been the cause.

The hardware (Sandy Bridge processor and 6-series board) is likely not the problem because it has a swap-rack which I use with many different OS: W-7, Fedora, and other Linux distributions. RAID is not used in the PC.

• @pccobbler said

Every now and then, maybe every three weeks or so, I will login and accept updates.

For a rolling release distro this sounds too long. Arch gets updates/upgrades daily. Where “daily” means twice, three times or even more, sometimes. There are also newer updates fixing older ones issues. So, loging in and updating after about a month is prone to occasional trouble.
    A good practice is updating AT LEAST once week. Personally, I follow the good old saing “first thing in the morning and lastt at night”.
    As a final word: Keep the system updated as often as needed and monitor its behavor to find out if the problem persists.
    Cheers

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• @anarch Sorry, I worded that poorly. I will try again.

After I install Antergos Cinnamon, I use it on a daily basis, usually only just checking email and surfing. Every time I use it, I accept updates. There are days when I will login in the morning and accept updates, and login again later the same day and accept updates. The system rarely gets more than one day without updates.

But about every three weeks (I have never noted the intervals), I will login, accept updates, and then see a dialog saying something like, “Cinnamon has crashed: restart? Yes or No.” Regardless of which I choose, the system never reaches the desktop again.

If it matters, the only packages I add are IceCat, VLC (and the four required phonon ones), GParted, and the three for adding GNOME icons.

P.S. Kiki Dee had a song “First thing in the morning [and last thing at night]” on her self-titled record from 1977, but she was not talking about computers.

• @pccobbler said

“Cinnamon has crashed: restart? Yes or No.” Regardless of which I choose, the system never reaches the desktop again.

To be honest, the only experience I have with this DE is the frequent complaints I can read. This fact, together with its Windowsish looks has kept me away. So, I can only talk about the OS, not the DE in question…
    Keep smiling

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• @pccobbler The next time you experience the issue please grab the logs and post them here. Be sure to include both your system journal and your ~/.xsession-errors as well as /var/log/pacman.log. Thanks.

• i think for cinnamon would ~/.cinnamon/glass.log , was something about glass cinnamon own log :)

• @lots.0.logs

I will post .xsession-errors, .xsession-errors.old, /var/log/pacman.log, and .cinnamon/glass.log when it crashes again.

crash18 cinnamon68 apparent1 Posts 7Views 499