• Do I need local country specific mirror in Update Manager preferences?

Installed Antergos Gnome on my DELL Inspiron 5559 and working very well

When I look in Update Manager preferences, I see my mirrors is set to ‘Use mirrors from: Worldwide’. I am in UK but I am not able to make any changes, looks like Worldwide is the only option available. Is this correct ?

Is it OK to leave mirrors set to Worldwide? System is working fine and no problems, just wondered if I should be pointing to a more local mirror.

• @hughparker1 You’re talking about pamac, the default Antergos graphical package manager. There are no much things we can do with mirrors from within pamac.

Default mirrors, installed by Antergos, are all good. There’s no need to change them frequently.

Antergos uses:

• its own mirrors, included with the package antergos-mirrorlist

• Arch Linux mirrors, included with the package pacman-mirrorlist

Most packages come from Arch Linux mirrors.

Sometime you could notice that the pacman-mirrorlist package gets an upgrade. The newly upgraded /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist.pacnew file appears in the /etc/pacman.d directory. It means that Arch mirrors are changed. It is worth to use updated Arch mirrors.

Default Antergos mirrors are good, but they may be not optimized for any and all possible geographical locations. Is it possible to optimize them? Yes.

Install the reflector package:

sudo pacman -Syu reflector

reflector has a huge amount of options to optimize Arch Linux mirrors in every possible way. They are countless.

My preferred one is:

sudo reflector --age 8 --fastest 128 --latest 64 --number 32 --sort rate --save /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

Here, reflector:

• selects the mirrors updated in last 8 hours
    • selects 128 fastest from them
    • selects 64 updated most recently
    • limits their number to 32
    • orders them by download rate (speed)
    • writes the ready to use /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist file

reflector works with Arch Linux mirrors only. It changes the /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist file.

It doesn’t work with Antergos-specific mirrors. It doesn’t change the /etc/pacman.d/antergos-mirrorlist file. They may be optimized with rankmirrors command. Though it is rarely needed.

reflector is a good tool, to run once or twice a year. Or when Arch mirrors are changed. It finds the fastest mirrors for our current geographical location. And sets country specific mirrors used by pamac Update Manager.

• @just thanks for your feedback. i was just concerned I might be missing out on some updates, but sounds like I don’t need to worry. I will check out reflector later, sounds like a very useful tool to have.

• @hughparker1 Yes, it’s that simply. There’s nothing to worry about.

Regards

mirrorlist7 Posts 4Views 400