• Getting Minecraft to use openjava8 instead of 7

I installed Minecraft but it was bugging me to upgrade Java, which I did through both yaourt and pacman (a little confused if I needed to do that, I’m moving from mint and need to do research on the package managers) anyway, minecraft still wants to use 7 instead of 8. Some of the mods I tired to install require 8 and won’t work, the game runs but the mods don’t.

Thanx,
    Stan

• @second.exodous You’ll have to tell Minecraft the correct java path instead of /bin/java.

Whether you’re using the Vanilla Launcher, FTB Launcher, or my favorite MultiMC, there is an options page that lets you tell it which java to specify. It should say Java Runtime or Java Path, and it may be blank (to use system pathing) or have a variable in it.

As an example of what to paste in the box instead, my java8 is:
    /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk/bin/java
    which I found with find /usr/ -name java

If your intent is to change the system default java from 7 to 8, you can do that by rewriting the symlinks in /usr/lib/jvm, which look like this on a system where the default is java 8:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   14 Dec 11 12:06 default -> java-8-openjdk
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   18 Dec 11 12:06 default-runtime -> java-8-openjdk/jre
    drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 Dec 11 12:06 java-8-openjdk

• There is one more thing: If you’re trying to run mods but haven’t installed Minecraft Forge, they probably won’t work. You’ll want to download the correct version of Minecraft Forge (usually the latest or latest stable for the version of MC you’re playing). If your mods are for Minecraft 1.10, you’ll need Forge for Minecraft 1.10 installed with Minecraft 1.10.
    (The only exceptions to that are that sometimes 1.8 or 1.9 mods will work in 1.10; you’ll need to read the official forum the modders release the mod at to see whether other people have had it working.)

minecraft5 openjava81 Posts 3Views 218