• Like 0

Blank screen after installation - Dell 7559 (Intel Skylake & GTX 960M)

Hey guys, I need your help please.

Additional info: I already tried the Antegros full installation with every possible desktop environment with proprietary nvidia driver which you can choose during the installation, but it never worked out, always got a blank white/grey screen after logging in the display manager. Thats why I now I am trying to install everything manually after the base system installation.

I am trying to install Arch Linux (Antegros) for the first time on a Dell Inspiron 7559 laptop. Apparently this is not so easy, the hardware (GPU/CPU) is not really Linux compatible, or at least is very buggy. I can not even install any Linux distro without activating the nomodeset before, but that is just one example. It seems there are just too many bugs with this hardware and I hope at least with Arch Linux I should be able to fix this problems with the help of you guys.

If someone is interested, here is more info about the hardware problems with the Skylake CPU: https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comments/3smhl7/dell_inspiron_i7559763blk_156/

Anyways, I have already installed and configured almost everything, the base system is ready, the only things I need to do is installing a desktop environment, display manager and drivers for my graphic card, but I am not sure which one that would be to get a stable Arch installation.

Should I install the nvidia (“nvidia” & “nvidia-libgl”) or should I use the beta driver from the AUR? If so, do I need to disable/blacklist nouveau before installation?

Or should I not install any nvidia drivers at all and use the Intel HD530 drivers (“xf86-video-intel” & “mesa-libgl”) instead?

What would you do in this situation?

Hardware:

• Intel i7-6700HQ with Intel HD530 GPU
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB
    • 3840 x 2160 HiDPI touchscreen (this is very annoying during the installation btw, had to “setfont sun12x22” so I could at least read something)

This is what I am planing to do:

pacman -S xorg xorg-server
    reboot
    modprobe -r nouveau
    reboot
    pacman -S nvidia nvidia-libgl
    reboot
    pacman -S mate mate-extra
    pacman -S lxdm
    systemctl start lxdm.service
    systemctl enable lxdm.service
    reboot

Do you think that would work for me without any problems?

• Like 0

A few problems exist with this type of laptop with Linux/gnu OS.
    Try acpi=off rather than nomodesetat the end of linux line.
    If at all able to get to this stage by selecting " e "

I hope this has helped even just a little bit. It may help with the screen issues being gray if your still getting them.

Download " antergos-wallpapers-extra " and enjoy community sponsored wallpapers.

Use the "Linux Beginner Search Engine"

https://cse.google.com/cse/home?cx=017607476515012185699:b_owgx6xyi0

• Like 0

@methyl1 said in Blank screen after installation - Dell 7559 (Intel Skylake & GTX 960M):

…I already tried the Antegros full installation with every possible desktop environment with proprietary nvidia driver which you can choose during the installation…

…Which is wrong.

Do not enable proprietary Nvidia drivers during Antergos installation on Nvidia Optimus computer. Install them later. Read AnteWiki about how to do it.

dell13 installation168 75591 blank8 Posts 3Views 425