• Slow load Cinnamon


    Hi all!!

    From the last days, maybe a week, I’ve been experiencing a slow load of cinnamon when I start Antergos. It start normally, but when the desktop appears, the icons take too long to appear.

    Have any of you notice something like that?? Any clue about what package update could be the guilty of this?

    Thanks in advance!!

  • Hi all!!

    From the last days, maybe a week, I’ve been experiencing a slow load of cinnamon when I start Antergos. It start normally, but when the desktop appears, the icons take too long to appear.

    Have any of you notice something like that?? Any clue about what package update could be the guilty of this?

    Thanks in advance!!

  • Hi,

    I have noticed this as well. It seems to be related to the 3.13 kernel. For a quick/easy fix you could install the LTS kernel (linux-lts) until the 3.14 branch makes its way down (which is supposed to have the related bug fixed).

    Best Regards,
    Dustin

  • @“Azrael^^”:344n7ctx said:

    Hi all!!

    From the last days, maybe a week, I’ve been experiencing a slow load of cinnamon when I start Antergos. It start normally, but when the desktop appears, the icons take too long to appear.

    Have any of you notice something like that?? Any clue about what package update could be the guilty of this?

    Thanks in advance!![/quote:344n7ctx]

    All you had to do is to read my post [url:344n7ctx]http://forum.antergos.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1505[/url:344n7ctx]

  • @“rusty”:3654c1vp said:

    All you had to do is to read my post [http://forum.antergos.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1505][0]">viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1505[/quote:3654c1vp] Actually I’m not so sure the issues are identical (but they probably related). In any case, you’ve been around here long enough to know that we do not approve of posts such as this. Let’s not forget what our community is all about

    Best Regards,

    [0]: <a href=

  • @“lots.0.logs”:3loyflfe said:

    @“rusty”:3loyflfe said:

    All you had to do is to read my post [http://forum.antergos.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1505][0]">viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1505[/quote:3loyflfe] Actually I’m not so sure the issues are identical (but they probably related). In any case, you’ve been around here long enough to know that we do not approve of posts such as this. Let’s not forget what our community is all about

    Best Regards,[/quote:3loyflfe]
    sorry didn’t mean to be rude, just pointing to the root of the issue imho.

    [0]: <a href=

  • No worries, I didn’t think it was intentional

    Cheers!

  • man Cinnamon went down the drain with these recent updates. My system is slow and UI is lagging as well.

  • Yeah I have noticed it and actually got frustrated enough yesterday to install GNOME 3.12 …im trying to give it a chance but I started missing cinnamon within the first 10 minutes lol

  • I’m looking for an alternative now as this issue hasn’t been fixed for 2 weeks. Mate seems alright but still doesn’t cut it. Any suggestions?

  • Hi,

    If you like “old school” you’ll find yourself comfortable using XFCE or MATE.

    Anyway, I’d give GNOME 3 a try, I was reluctant at first and now I feel like at home with it.

    You can try KDE too, but it’s a bit resource greedy imho.

    Cheers!

  • @“karasu”:3khd5o7h said:

    You can try KDE too, but it’s a bit resource greedy imho.[/quote:3khd5o7h]I’d say GNOME 3 is just a resource hungry

    KDE is a great, stable desktop. I really want to love it but I just can’t get over the Oxygen UI which means I end up searching allover the web for themes that are actually complete and not buggy. This usually lasts about 2 weeks until I install Cinnamon again hahaha

    I found a nice Flat UI theme recently and made it the default on our KDE install. You should check it out

  • I hate kde, seems bloated to me, I like simplicity

  • KDE doesn’t have to be bloated. Actually our default KDE install has around the same total # of packages as GNOME 3. As for resources, it’s below 300MB of ram with the desktop effects turned to 50% instead of maximum. GNOME 3.12 comes in at 326MB RAM after a fresh boot when system is idle. I’m not a KDE fan, not even close but I do think it gets a bad wrap for things that were true 2 years ago and have since been corrected. The only thing keeping me from KDE is that I don’t care for the overall look/feel of QT. Hopefully this will improve now that Ubuntu is moving towards QT.

    As for MATE, there is a lot to like but it suffers from the same issues I fault Xfce/LXDE for which is being too old/legacy. I like shiny new things hehe

    Cheers!!

  • I’m a cinnamon fan. Before Antergos I used Linux Mint for several releases. Grew to love Cinnamon but hate Mint. For someone looking to start learning the Arch way without doing it from scratch and looking for Cinnamon desktop… can’t get much better than Antergos for that.

    But after these last few kernel updates and delays with icons… I tried KDE. Wow. Forgot what I was missing with the simple Cinnamon desktop. Spent a few minutes picking a darker theme, 1080p solar flare background, alter a few desktop effects. Wow.

    Granted some parts are annoying. Simple desktop icons and short cuts got more complicated. But other things like right-click a log file and “compress” is right there and being able to use “root actions”… I wish cinnamon had native options for that. Very handy. I’ve been switching back to cinnamon less and less.

  • Yes there is a lot to love about KDE but there’s just something that keeps me running back to Cinnamon lol Check out this theme: It’s now the default for new installs

    [0]: <a href=
    [1]: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/He

  • @“reefland”:25gw4ska said:

    I’m a cinnamon fan. Before Antergos I used Linux Mint for several releases. Grew to love Cinnamon but hate Mint. For someone looking to start learning the Arch way without doing it from scratch and looking for Cinnamon desktop… can’t get much better than Antergos for that.

    But after these last few kernel updates and delays with icons… I tried KDE. Wow. Forgot what I was missing with the simple Cinnamon desktop. Spent a few minutes picking a darker theme, 1080p solar flare background, alter a few desktop effects. Wow.

    Granted some parts are annoying. Simple desktop icons and short cuts got more complicated. But other things like right-click a log file and “compress” is right there and being able to use “root actions”… I wish cinnamon had native options for that. Very handy. I’ve been switching back to cinnamon less and less.[/quote:25gw4ska]

    I have compress and open as root in right click. You need to install nemo-fileroller extension and it’s all good. The latest updates really ruined the applications time response and cinnammon as well. On top of that I get a strange cpu spikes when browsing some sites, the cpu load would jump from one core to another and continue.

  • @“lots.0.logs”:2zy09pxf said:

    Yes there is a lot to love about KDE but there’s just something that keeps me running back to Cinnamon lol Check out this theme: It’s now the default for new installs

    WOW!!
    I love how simple, clean, sharp, and elegant that theme looks. I don’t use KDE but I guess if I did, I might be interested in this. Too bad this isn’t compatible with the Cinnamon DE

    [0]: <a href=
    [1]: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/He

    Download " antergos-wallpapers-extra " and enjoy community sponsored wallpapers.

    Use the "Linux Beginner Search Engine"

    https://cse.google.com/cse/home?cx=017607476515012185699:b_owgx6xyi0

  • I don’t want to be rude guys but…all of you have gone totally offtopic. Install another environment is not the way to solve the Cinnamon’s problem…

  • Hi,

    @Azrael: You’re totally right. This thread subject should be changed to something like “Cinnamon alternatives?”

    Cheers!

Posts 20Views 2404
Log in to reply