• Bluetooth speaker connected but not listed under output

I have had this same problem with a previous install of Antergos running Gnome. I have recently returned to Antergos running Gnome. The problem is not with the initial setup (connection) of the speaker but that it gets dropped out of the listed output devices under the gnome sound settings menu. This appears to happen after rebooting. I do not always use the speaker so I cannot say if it happens immidiatley after the intial reboot. I have verified that the speaker is listed as connected under bluetooth settings. The speaker gives an audible tone when it is connected via bluetooth, which I do receive. The speakers LED indicates that it is connected as well.

Can someone point me in the right direction to troubleshoot this issue?

Here is the lspci output:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 06)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)
    00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller (rev 06)
    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI (rev 05)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #3 (rev d5)
    00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev d5)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #4 (rev d5)
    00:1c.6 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #7 (rev d5)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #1 (rev 05)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM87 Express LPC Controller (rev 05)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 05)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 05)
    01:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7260 (rev bb)

• Sorry, the post is rather chaotic and I can’t figure out what are you asking about.

When external bluetooth speakers are ON and connected, they are listed among available output devices in sound settings - the top right window on the picture below:

Speakers are on, connected, paired, trusted
    Fig. 1/2

When computer is rebooted, the connection to bluetooth speakers is closed. They are not automatically reconnected after reboot, so they are not listed among available output devices in Sound Settings, which is normal - the top right window on the picture below:

Speakers are off, not connected, paired, trusted
    Fig. 2/2

If the external bluetooth speakes were paired and marked as trusted, they will be listed among available bluetooth devices in Bluetooth Manager, even after a reboot, and even if the speakers are switched OFF - the top left window on two pictures above. But they will not be present among available sound output devices until they are switched ON.

If the speakers were not marked as trusted, they will not be listed neither in available bluetooth devices in Blutooth Manager (the top left window on two pictures above will be empty) nor in sound output devices in Sound Settings after a reboot.

If bluetooth speakers were marked as trusted, after reboot they will be:

• immediately present in Bluetooth Manager

• listed in sound output devices when they will be switched ON

This is a normal bluetooth speakers behaviour. Don’t see any irregularities here.

• Thanks for the reply (i guess). I understand how bluetooth works but thanks for explaining it to me anyways. Not sure where you got chaos out of my op but I am not reading it through your eyes.

Anyways… I use a 2nd bluetooth device (mouse) and I have connected it via the exact same bluetooth utility offered by gnome in the settings. I have zero problems with that mouse after every reboot or disconnect. I have zero problems with my bluetooth speaker under Ubuntu (unity), however I have not tested via Ubuntu (gnome).

I was hoping to get some troubleshooting steps prior to removing the device from the trusted devices list and reinitiating the initial setup via gnomes utility.

• FYI, just in case I didn’t explain myself correctly, the bluetooth speaker is listed as connected under the bluetooth utility. While it shows that it is connected, it does not list under the the output devices under the sound menu in gnome.

• My ISP has technical problems, I’m on tablet now, not on omputer.

I’m not sure what do you mean with “bluetooth utility”, where you can see speakers. They are never shown automatically in output devices in Sound Settings after a reboot. After reboot they will automatically appear here, if:

• they were previously marked as trusted

• they are powered ON

It is not correct to confront bluetooth connections for different bluetooth devices types. Mice and keyboards are connected completely differently from sound devices, using other bluetooth protocols. What applies to input bluetooth devices doesn’t apply to sound ones.

• Ok I think you and i have a communication issue here. Yes I understand how to connect a bluetooth device. Yes I have previously connected the bluetooth speaker. It worked in the session where I first connected them via bluetooth. Yes they are trusted. Yes they are powered on. The problem occured after I rebooted the pc after I connected them. After the reboot, the speakers are shown to be connected via the default gnome utiilty (gnome settings menu->bluetooth) but they no longer are listed as an output device under (gnome settings menu->sound->output tab).

I mentioned the bluetooth mouse that I also use to try and explain to you that I am not as naive as to not know how to connect a bluetooth device. Was also hoping that it would let you know that the bluetooth is working on the pc. I understand the difference between a bluetooth mouse and bluetooth speaker. I understand that one is an input device and the other is an output device. I understand that sound comes out of speakers and not the mouse.

I am not certain as to how I can better explain this to you.

• @sfg said in Bluetooth speaker connected but not listed under output:

Ok I think you and i have a communication issue here…

Surely this is the case. I don’t doubt that you know well how bluetooth works.

…After the reboot, the speakers are shown to be connected via the default gnome utiilty (gnome settings menu->bluetooth) but they no longer are listed as an output device under (gnome settings menu->sound->output tab)…

It sounds a bit unusual that your bluetooth speakers are shown as connected after a reboot. They are shown as disconnected here.

The final attempt. I’ll simply describe how they work here. Without any conclusions or explanations.

Groovy Duo bluetooth speakers are powered off. The computer is rebooted.

The speakers are shown as disconnected:
    sound-bluetooth-switched-off

Hence, they are not listed among output devices:
    sound-bluetooth-switched-off-output-absent

I power the speakers on, and with Bluetooth Manager (blueman) establish the Audio Sink connection between Gnome and the speakers:
    sound-bluetooth-switching-on-1920x1080

Once the connection is re-established, the speakers are immediately shown as connected:
    sound-bluetooth-switched-on

And appear among available output devices:
    sound-bluetooth-switched-on-output-present

Once selected, all sound output goes thru external bluetooth speakers. I have nothing to add to this.

Regards

• @just said in Bluetooth speaker connected but not listed under output:

It sounds a bit unusual that your bluetooth speakers are shown as connected after a reboot. They are shown as disconnected here.

So you are finally realizing why I ACTUALLY opened this thread. Thats my dillema. If I reboot with the speaker powered on or the speaker powered off is irrelevant. The problem is after the reboot, and after the bluetooth is shown as “connected” (not “disconneted”). When it is “connected” it is not showing up in the output tab in the sound settings. I don’t need help with how to power on a bluetooth device to allow it to connect. I know that a bluetooth device that is not powered on and listed as “disconnected” will not show up in the output tab of the sound settings.

@just said in Bluetooth speaker connected but not listed under output:

The final attempt. I’ll simply describe how they work here. Without any conclusions or explanations.
    Groovy Duo bluetooth speakers are powered off. The computer is rebooted.
    The speakers are shown as disconnected:

Hence, they are not listed among output devices:

I power the speakers on, and with Bluetooth Manager (blueman) establish the Audio Sink connection between Gnome and the speakers:

Once the connection is re-established, the speakers are immediately shown as connected:

And appear among available output devices:

Once selected, all sound output goes thru external bluetooth speakers. I have nothing to add to this.

Good god man! Thanks again for explaining to me how to power on a bluetooth device. :D Please just stop trying to help me. I appreciate the effort but you are clearly missing the point.

• I have found a solution to my dilemma. It may not be the best fix but it appears the issue is with PulseAudio and GDM as they’re trying to connect the speaker (which has a optional headset feature) as a headset.

link text

Now the speaker is listed as an output and is working as it should after restarting.

• @sfg said in Bluetooth speaker connected but not listed under output:

…the issue is with PulseAudio and GDM…

It explains something - I use default LightDM, not GDM.

Thanks for marking the topic as [Solved].

connected3 bluetooth22 speaker2 listed3 Posts 10Views 782