• NOPASSWD: ALL in sudoers file but still asking for password

Hey,

Not really an installation question but I don’t know where else to post it.

I’ve added myself to group wheel and uncommented the following line using visudo:
    %wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

I’ve logged out and back in and rebooted even.

Sudo is still asking me for my password, why is that?

Thanks!

• @Injo Ouch :astonished: ! For me, you’ve found a little bug in Antergos, congrats :) .

Can confirm that freshly installed Antergos behaves as you describe. Continues to ask for password when it should not do that anymore.

I solved the issue here by removing the file

/etc/sudoers.d/10-installer

It contains (for my user):

just ALL=(ALL) ALL

These are sudo settings to ask for password when a command is prefixed with sudo.

The file’s content doesn’t change even if /etc/sudoers is edited with

sudo visudo

Without /etc/sudoers.d/10-installer file, sudo visudo returns the expected results:

• %wheel ALL=(ALL) ALL asks for password

• %wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL doesn’t ask for password

The native Arch Linux installations here don’t have the /etc/sudoers.d/10-installer file. The /etc/sudoers.d/ folder is empty.

Regards

• Thanks for the quick reply.

Removing the file indeed restores the expected behavior.

Cheers man! :+1:

• @Injo Thanks for marking the topic as [Solved].

• Just wanted to chime in here and state that customizations to the sudoers file should be made using files placed in /etc/sudoers.d. It is considered a bad practice to edit the sudoers file directly. :neckbeard:

• Double ouch :) ! It’s not a bug but the intended behaviour. I wasn’t aware of this recomendation, and simply followed the Sudo article in ArchWiki.

I commented out all %wheel instructions in /etc/sudoers with sudo visudo again, created the file /etc/sudoers.d/10-antergos, and placed in it the instruction:

just ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

It works exactly the same way as /etc/sudoers edited directly. Doesn’t ask for password when sudo is used.

I think that

%wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

should work too, though didn’t check that.

Very elegant way to avoid messing up the sudoers. Antergos devs know well what they’re doing :) !

asking3 nopasswd1 sudoers1 password22 Posts 6Views 763