• Same old things with nvidia

well,i am a desktop user ,not a laptop,so for me is no optimus thingy,but i installed the nvidia drivers and i have a very big problems,in wine it seems that i have no direct3d graphics at all,thatis a huge problem for me…
    my card is a geforce gtx 750 ti and the driver that i have installed is 375.20 from the repo,no idea why i can’t get direct3d graphics in wine at all
    another thing that i have a problem with is the tearing (i am using KDE DE) and don’t tell me about the compton fix coz that 1 did ruin my linux,after installing it it frozed my pc completely and after restart it didn’t loaded at all,i did the xorg.conf (even if is not needed now) just to add the triplebuffer option and the 1 with the fullpipeline line option,that didn’t fixed the tearing,only made it less visible,i am a noob,still trying to figure out linux and i used more debian linux,now i wanted to have everything new,and the best,like all that antergos offer,but neither in debian i was anable to fix the tearing problem in KDE DE,it is fixed as i did read about in XFCE DE using megacity+compton,what can i do in KDE to have a fix ? and how to solve the wine problem ?
    my architecture is x86_64,i installed the wine-staging (trying to have some more improvements thru the CSMT option…any thoughts ?

• so,i guess that no1 from antergos is around anymore,so i guess that i have to ask in arch forums for help,oh well,to bad,i had high hopes for antergos,but is not the first distro to let me down in the help aspect…

• Hi.
    First off all, I must comment on the impatience posted in your 2nd post.
    You need realise that people who come here to help others are NOT paid to help you or others facing difficulties.
    It’s done on purely VOLUNTEER time.
    If you want help, I’d really, REALLY suggest to hold back on the impatience.

Also, you must understand that people here can only respond to what they are familiar in helping with.
    If there is a topic that a person here is not knowledgable enough to help with, most obviously, they’re not going to answer.
    It would be a waste of yours and their time to try to help if no knowledge base is available to help with.

Secondly, with regards to the screen tearing, I’ve had that too.
    I’m not 100 percent sure but I wonder if that’s too do with either your graphics card being unable to handle that game your playing (if your playing a game using that Nvidia card you mentioned) or application due to FPS. Check your VSYNC options.

More details need to be found out from you regarding what application your using when the tearing occurs.

PS. Remember, patience…

EDIT:
    Screen tearing on GTX 750

Download " antergos-wallpapers-extra " and enjoy community sponsored wallpapers.

Use the "Linux Beginner Search Engine"

https://cse.google.com/cse/home?cx=017607476515012185699:b_owgx6xyi0

• yes master :) ,well,i didn’t notice tearing in the game i play,only in the 2 apps i most use in linux,firefox and vlc,in all distros,no matter which linux,ppl talk about same problems,this linux is not the only 1 i tried,and i only could find something to easy the tearing,not fix it,i am not a steam user,never was,never will be,i only use wine for gaming,maybe u r right that my card could be the problem even tho i never noticed tearing in windows,even though i played all games (all the new) at all high and never had tearing,i like linux,but this problem do make me spend more time in windows than in linux,i checked v-sync,double checked,triple checked,no improvement,with it on or off has the same effect,i don’t have tearing in the game i play with it at all,i guess that i have to wait like every1 for the xorg 1.9 to come out,maybe will fix this problem…hopefuly
    the “easy the pain” solution was to make a xorg.conf and edit it,putting 2 line,the triplebuffer line and the other with fullcompositepipeline,and i do chosed in the compositor window at full screen repaints and i made a kwin.sh file with 1 lines in it, was something with usleep,things that i found reading hours and hours of forums and watching youtube videos
    i was wondering if i can,somehow,adjust a refresh rate for 1 of the 2 at a same as the other thru a .sh file or in the xorg.config…maybe these 2 (card and monitor) r just unsynced ? or use different refresh rates ? and if so,how can i find out both infos and make them be more the same ?
    i am not out of patience,i am just trying to find a solution,i really want to get out of windows for good,but this problem keeps me there
    as u can see,i am a noob,my train to learn linux has come and go some time ago,now i just look for a solution from the medium and advanced users of linux and i am really sorry if i offended some1,was not my intent,was just a unwanted fact,is just that i am trying to find a solution from to long and nothing that i found so far is …satisfactory (as i said,not gaming problems as i don’t play much in linux)

• Well, I’ve had a look around the Internet.
    Here’s what I’ve learned. First that FPS may or may not affect the degree of tearing. What may affect the degree of tearing is the Nvidea driver itself. Most specifically the version number.

As for Xorg, I can tell you from having read other’s comments on other forums about all sorts of application, driver problems, etc that waiting for a newer version of this or that to come out to hopefully fix their problem, will have you wait till the cows come home. In other words, a long time. And even then, some newer version of something didn’t resolve their problem.

If you do want to find out what version of Xorg you have ( you didn’t say, so you might as well find out)
    Xorg -version
    You can go to the man pages of Xorg for more information if you like.

I realize and understand that your screen tearing is more relevant to firefox and VLC but have a look at this link here: screen tearing , even though it is game related. The last post in that topic is most relevant. I believe what he’s talking about is the idea that, that poster used a different version of Nvidia. Maybe that is something to think about on your end?

As for an .sh file, I have no idea how to make up something like that.
    That is far beyond my knowledge base and would be futile and probably result in more harm than good on your end for me to Google something like that to present to you for any utilization.
    That is something I’m afraid your going to have to work out on your own.

As for editing a Xorg.conf file, again, this is beyond my knowledge base.
    Do man Xorg.conf to find the correct location. There are many.
    But when you do access the man pages for the .conf file, have a look at the Screen name under The Section names.
    That may be relevant.

Some other ideas that I have regarding your tearing is that maybe your card is ramming up to a limit and hence the tearing effect. A limit such as a thermal limit (TDP) . The cooling system for your machine can only dissipate so much heat produced. However, you mentioned that you don’t experience tearing when using Windows. Only in Linux/GNU, so this idea might not be relevant.

Secondly, I take it that you’ve somehow checked the screen refresh rate and the GPU frame buffer for potentially being out of sync and seeing if they are displaying different partial frames.

As for the last few sentences in your post, forget it. It’s all good.
    Finally, I realize that my post here doesn’t offer a cornucopia of solutions, but it’s all that I can respond with as aiding.

Download " antergos-wallpapers-extra " and enjoy community sponsored wallpapers.

• @MariusApo : Which output module is selected in your system settings for the compositor? xrandr, opengl 2.0 or opengl 3.1?
    J.

• opengl 3.1

• @MariusApo
    What is the screen resolution?
    Is it one that was “defaulted” by the installation after the installer recognized what the resolution was or was it manually changed by yourself at some point?
    Am asking as I am looking at other possibilities for you.
    It’s a long shot but again, am just looking at possibilities even though it may not make much for sense.

How about downgrading the nvidia driver to something that does not interfere or produce screen tearing?

• @Modisc no mate,i get the same resolts with all drivers nr,i started with 340 and made my way up til 375 that i use today and had same thing,i use the default resolution that is actually the same i use in windows too,at top with all (the biggest that my screen can handle)

• @MariusApo
    Ok, I have some ideas that need to be explained.
    First of all, I have also experienced tearing (on a hybrid system. But only when Nvidia is used).
    Your not the only one.

I have to start this explanation of with a bit of history of screen tearing in Linux so that you can understand the issue. So bear with me.

1. X-Server:
    I believe that one of the reasons that you ( and many others ) are experiencing tearing on the screen while using Linux/GNU os, though not with Wind0ze, is because the X-server is/ was somewhat out dated. It’s a fact.
    Wayland came by to replace the X-Server. More on that below.

I think it’s important to realize that the X-server is somewhat, if not altogether, wrongly suited for today’s graphics hardware and basically all the video card communications that go with it .

There is very little synchronization between window rendering and the screen displaying what you should be seeing. Basically, what I’m trying to say is that the content changes in the middle of rendering.

This is an issue that is known. I think that many people believe that it might be because of V-sync.
    It’s not really because of that.
    It’s the X-server.
    There isn’t really a mechanism to handle this. The DE that you use is not altogether relevant.
    Some DE’s like KDE, might gloss over it.
    But it’s still there.

Additionally, some other problems come up. Like when you have multiple graphics cards that both require different drivers for each of them. Additionally, take something like the OPENGL. It’s library is hard-wired with a dependency on xlib. It’s a bit difficult to use independantly without that having to go through the X-server.

2. Wayland:
    Wayland is/was supposed to replace X from this tearing.
    Wayland has it’s own problems regarding tearing.
    But there are fixes available for this.
    Read below the link provided.

I found something here. Read it and have a go at it.
    I’d really like to get some feedback from you on whether or not the command ( and suggested file corrections )suggested in that post helped or not.

• So you recommend wayland with nouveau over xorg with the proprietary nvidia driver?
    J.

• @Modisc thanks mate,as i posted,i do have that line in my xorg.config and i have made another file to get even more help on it a file colled kwin.sh,in which i add another lines

export __GL_YIELD="USLEEP" 
    export KWIN_TRIPLE_BUFFER=1

i saved the file in this place /etc/profile.d/ and just made the permissions as read and write on all and executable,i did know about those code line and in the xorg.conf file from another forum where i was be4 coming to antergos,i used to like maui linux which is based on ubuntu and we were talkin about this for some time and trying to find a solution,even tho most of the ppl it seems to use their laptops that have the optimus thing,i don’t and that’s why i started the threat in there too,yes ik about the fact of the old x11thing that is outdated and i think that all nvidia users wait for the new version that we hope it will come out some day in the new year,the 1.9,that we hope to fix this tearing problem
    i just don’t know why i still have tearing problem in movies…don’t see now to much tearing in firefox (it’s still there,but not same intensity as be4 those lines in those 2 files) and honestly,i didn’t play for now any games (not talkin about steam,i never use it and never will),so no idea about the tearing in there…
    as for the nouveau driver…well,i cna say that is even worse than nvidia driver,i can say that when i install the linux,when is the nouveau driver that is used,i barely could see what i was writing or what to chose in the settings,that driver is a real mood killer,the colours change in just some part of the screen,like where u need to type is covered by same colour as the text and i had to just move away somehow just to make that part readable again and a lot like that all over,no,i doubt that nouveau driver has a future on nvidia cards

• ive gotta say as a longtime nvidia user on linux im glad i made the switch to AMD video cards.

AMD slowly but surely putting together a nice opensource driver for the newer cards.

Gnome + Wayland + amdgpu driver = awesome :+1:

• well, always was a war between ati and nvidia that i never understood, it’s just about of which 1 we believe is better, but i tried both and i still believe that better for me is nvidia

• @Modisc said in Same old things with nvidia:

Hi.
    You need realise that people who come here to help others are NOT paid to help you or others facing difficulties.

But waiting for 2 days when the topic starter has serious screen issues??? Thats too much too aks i think. His first post was 9 days ago, his second 7 days ago. So there was basically 2 days between both posts and nobody replied to it. Ofcourse the poor guy got impatienced about it. He only wanted to have his problem solved…

MSI Notebook:
    MSI GE70-2PEQuad core Intel Core i7-4710HQKingston 16 GB RAMIntel 4th Gen. Integr. GPU/NVidia GeForce GTX860MQualcomm Atheros Killer E2200/Intel Wireless 3160

• @MariusApo
    Don’t know what to suggest to you to resolve the issue.

As I mentioned in my first post, people’s knowledge only goes so far to the point where one’s help might be detrimental to resolving yours.

ONe thing that you may or may not have tried is to
    "Force Full Composition Pipeline"
    in Nvidia settings > X server display configuration

Edit : I forgot. You did try that.

Also, I do understand through the grapevine that XFCE supposedly has resolved the tearing issue.

At this point, I’d have to tell you that I"m stumped.
    More so due to lack of knowledge base.

What I could suggest to you is to find a graphics discussion forum or even try linuxquestions.org

Sorry.

@nomko
    Since I know that you read the whole post I made, no doubt I don’t need to explain to you that (1) people respond to help others based on a volunteer time and (2) that people, for the most part, respond to help when their knowledge base affords them to do so and (3) the fact that other people respond in helping when they see a post (for the 1st time) for help due to time-based circumstances (some people, like myself, aren’t here all the time) because (4) I do have a life. Others too!
    I’m interested in learning your excuse.

• @megaman said in Same old things with nvidia:

ive gotta say as a longtime nvidia user on linux im glad i made the switch to AMD video cards.

AMD slowly but surely putting together a nice opensource driver for the newer cards.

Gnome + Wayland + amdgpu driver = awesome :+1:

For me: Gnome + Wayland + amdgpu driver = nightmare, you’d have to pay me on a hourly base to make me use such a system.
    J.

• @Jeannie____ how so? been using this for couple months now and its been the best graphics experience ive had on linux.

• @nomko said in Same old things with nvidia:

@Modisc said in Same old things with nvidia:

Hi.

But waiting for 2 days when the topic starter has serious screen issues??? Thats too much too aks i think. His first post was 9 days ago, his second 7 days ago. So there was basically 2 days between both posts and nobody replied to it. Ofcourse the poor guy got impatienced about it. He only wanted to have his problem solved…

a serious screen issue? he has screen tearing :neutral_face: anyone on linux has experienced screen tearing at some point. 3d issues in wine then he should probably go to wine forums and ask. i would hardly call any of this serious issues.

as @Modisc pointed out users volunteer time to answers questions in the forum. we are not under deadline by the OP to solve his problem in a certain amount of time.

there is also a lot of info by searching any search engine.
    https://lmgtfy.com/?q=kde+nvidia+screen+tearing

• @megaman
    An alien user interface running on a mobile device orientated unfinished display server on windows optimized hardware is not the way I want to use linux. Never!
    J

nvidia98 Posts 28Views 2184