• Like 0

System freezes on boot

Hi everybody,
    I installed an nvidia package hooing to fix the impossibility to upgrade qt5-base and now I am stuck on a white screen. How can I uninstall this same package without accessing Antergos, please? I cannot log in at all. The screen freezes white with a useless black cursor. There is nothing I can do or click on. No key has any effect whatsoever. I wonder whether there is a command I could write when going into the Grub command line or else that could settle the pb and/or uninstall the package that caused the pb.
    Thx for your precious help.

• Like 0

@longliveantergos said in Login Issue with LightDM Webkit Greeter Not Accepting User Input:

…I wonder whether there is a command I could write when going into the Grub command line…

There are at least two things you can tell to Grub:

1. Depending on your video card, it is possible to play with various video drivers and modes, enable or disable them. If a right combination is found, you could eventually reach the graphical DE.

2. If above doesn’t help, you can tell Grub to boot into the bash shell (no graphical DE) with networking enabled. Add to the boot line:

systemd.unit=multi-user.target

In bash shell with network you can work normally, as in terminal in graphical DE, install / uninstall packages, enable / disable services, etc.

• Like 0

@just How do I tell Grub to boot into the bash shell and where do I add the boot line systemd.unit=multi-user.target?

• Like 0

@longliveantergos said in Login Issue with LightDM Webkit Greeter Not Accepting User Input:

@just How do I tell Grub to boot into the bash shell

By adding the systemd.unit=multi-user.target parameter to the boot line

and where do I add the boot line systemd.unit=multi-user.target?

I don’t use and don’t have Grub 2. IIRC, you should press the e key, to enter the edit mode. You’ll be able to edit the boot line. Add to it the parameter above. Press F10 - again, IIRC - to boot the system with the modified boot line.

Please, separate this thread into two different ones:

• LightDM issue
    • System freezes on boot

It’s impossible to mix two such a different topics in one thread.

• Like 0

ok @just I did edit the boot line with e, added a line at the bottom reading systemd.unit=multi-user.target, pressed F10 - and nothing happened. I mean, the system starts and freezes when the white screen comes up. (Not to add to the confusion: this is about the freezing white screen after I installed an nvidia package yesterday trying to bypass a qt5-base upgrade that did not succeed.)

• Like 0

May I also suggest this? Again, enter the GRUB edit mode by pressing e.Search for this line:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    anf change it to:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nomodeset
    Do as instructed to boot.

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.04 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• Like 0

@longliveantergos said in System freezes on boot:

ok @just I did edit the boot line with e, added a line at the bottom reading systemd.unit=multi-user.target, pressed F10 - and nothing happened. I mean, the system starts and freezes when the white screen comes up.

You type the parameter by hand. In case of a typo, a wrong or inexistent parameter is ignored. If you type

freeze.on-boot=yes

the system will boot normally, and won’t freeze on boot.

I think there was a typo in the entered parameter. It was ignored and the system continued to boot. With the correctly entered parameter the system never starts in a graphical mode.

(Not to add to the confusion: this is about the freezing white screen after I installed an nvidia package yesterday trying to bypass a qt5-base upgrade that did not succeed.)

What do you mean with “installed an nvidia package”? There are many. What video card do you have? Is it an Nvidia Optimus?

• Like 0

Thx to @just and @anarch for your help. When I type “e” in the start up menu the Grub 2 boot menu opens. It looks like this:
    ![alt text](0_1480091644123_IMG_1507.JPG image url)

I cannot find this line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet splash”. When I manually add freeze.on-boot=yes at the bottom of the file, then press F10, it boots as usual up to the frozen white screen where I cannot do anything. None of the lines that have been proposed here change anything in the boot process when manually added to the file that opens when I press “e” which is the only way to access the Grub command line.

As for the package I installed, it is nvidia-libgl as far as I remember. My video card is an Intel Q45/Q43 Express Chipset, I just discovered (shaite, I was convinced it was an Nvidia…).

• Like 0

Now I was able to remove nvidia-libgl with yaourt -R after CTRL+ALT F3 allowed me to access a command line. But on reboot I am still stuck on a white screen…

• Like 0

and you are managing your “white screen” problem?

After pressing “e”
    Grub CMD Line input

Go down till you are in the line with “rw quiet” put a “1” here will boot you into rescue mode, with “Strg+X” or "F10"
    Grub CMD Line input
    After booting you need to put in your root password, now you can access the system.
    for wired internet you may need to start with dhcpcd
    Rescue Commandline Antergos

The command “lspci | grep VGA” give you information about your graphic card give this to us and we can help on installing the right driver for your card…

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    http://kamprad.net/howto-installing-antergos/
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/1883/how-to-include-system-logs-when-asking-for-help

• Like 0

joekamprad Thx very much. I was unable to type the vertical sign after lspci and when I mistakenly validated I got this:

Is it of any help?

• Like 0

@longliveantergos 0_1480270798760_upload-73326204-5b09-4ab7-b9a2-90484a29d196 file:///home/vero/Downloads/IMG_1509.JPG

• Like 0

@longliveantergos said

I was unable to type the vertical sign after lspc

It should be between the Enter and the " keys

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.04 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• Like 0

So you see that you have a intel VGA.
    No need for a special driver… mostly xf86-video-intel

What is your Desktop ? (Gnome / KDE …)

https://forum.antergos.com/topic/1883/how-to-include-system-logs-when-asking-for-help

• Like 0

@joekamprad My desktop is Gnome.

• Like 0

do you try too choose gnome-xorg session starter inside lightdm greeter?
    Bild Text

• Like 1

joekamprad - There is nothing to choose from. The whole screen goes white after boot is finished. Yesterday when reinstalling xf86-video-intel with yaourt -S I noticed a conflict with xf86-video-intel-git (apparently an AUR package). The system proposed to uninstall xf86-video-intel but since I has just installed it I didn’t want to uninstall it again. Instead I wanted to uninstall xf86-video-intel-git or .git with its dependencies with yaourt -Rs but couldn’t find the package. I don’t know what its exact name is. So I still have a completely white screen and am unable to log in, additionally I have a package conflict - hence the white screen, probably. All your good ideas will be most welcome, I thank you in advance for your time and your generosity.

• Like 0

As:

pacman -Rs

-s, --recursive
    Remove each target specified including all of their dependencies, provided that (A) they are not required by other packages; and (B) they were not explicitly installed by the user. This operation is recursive and analogous to a backwards --sync operation, and it helps keep a clean system without orphans. If you want to omit condition (B), pass this option twice.

This is save to remove a package with all dependencies… and because you are on cosole mode no problem to uninstal driver for VGA…

So do a:

yaourt -Rs xf86-video-intel-git

complete refreshing the pacman database:

yaourt -Syy

and install standard driver:

yaourt -S xf86-video-intel

To enable OpenGL support, also install mesa-libgl:

yaourt -S mesa-libgl

check this:

sudo systemctl status lightdm

if you can post the result here…

• Like 0

@joekamprad Thx for your help.
    yaourt -Rs xf86-video-intel-git returns Error: impossible to find target.
    yaourt -S xf86-video-intel returns Already installed.
    yaourt -S mesa-libgl returns Conflict between mesa-libgl and nvidia-libgl (ahaa!!)
    I uninstalled nvidia-libgl
    Now the boot works normally and I can log in. Thx very much to each and everyone of you.
    sudo systemctl status lightdm return this:
    0_1480352184889_upload-4e5d3d32-5dbe-4ac1-89a8-b5bd094756b6 ![alt text](image url)
    file:///home/vero/Downloads/IMG_1515.JPG

• Like 0

to make shure you can do a

yaourt -Qs nvidia

this will show if more packages misinstalled.

@longliveantergos: forget to say: you are welcome! :wink:

• Like 0

@joekamprad Thx again.
    I get this:
    extra/libvdpau 1.1.1-2
    Nvidia VDPAU library
    extra/nvidia-utils 375.20-1
    NVIDIA drivers utilities

Should/can I delete/uninstall them? If yes, how, please?

Posts 29Views 1268