• Again: new installation, no error, no grub installed in efi

I am back again after months without any problems.
    Dual boot MacOs and Antergos with rEFInd
    Whas always kind of sceptic againts doing a system update. But after ±8 months running Antergos without problems i launched the system update and after that impossible to login properly.
    Damned!
    Antergos booted normal but after putting my password, the login window goes over to a one second flash of the desktop and back to the login window. And so on and on … No error’s at all.

Erased the disk and installed a fresh latest iso, but like the struggle ±8 months ago again; normal install with no errors, but Antergos doesn’t boot at all, also not visible in rEFInd.
    Again same problem: efi grub is empty, not installed!
    The unbelivable Thing is that after installing Antergos there’s no Antergos visible in rEFInd but a Windows logo??? And no clicking that logo does nothing at all.

So:
    Can somebody explain clearly and complete the steps to take to install and configure grub? I am not willing anymore to reinstall Antergos 10 times again to get it working.
    Or:
    Can somebody explain clearly and complete how to install dual boot MacOs and Antergos whitout grub or other bootloader?
    I hate grub now!
    Or:
    If somebody know that this will be for ever a problem, please let me know then i leave the all nice Arch world behind me and go for Debian.

My dual boot MacOs and Antergos on a MacBook Pro help page doesn’t do the trick anymore.

• But after ±8 months running Antergos without problems i launched the system update and after that impossible to login properly.

Don’t get me wrong, but it’s clear you don’t understand what a rolling release distro is, at all.

You MUST update often when you’re using a rolling release like Antergos. If you don’t, problems like this surely will arise.

Having said that, when you do your installation:

1. Tell Cnchi where is your EFI partition (make sure is not marked to format!) so Cnchi knows about it. You should mount it as /boot/efi (if I’m not mistaken).
    2. You have the option to use systemd-boot or Grub2. I’ve had different results in different computers, so I can’t recommend one or another.

Check that Grub (or systemd-boot) is installed correctly (cnchi will warn you if not).

If after booting you can’t boot Antergos, you can always restart with the livecd (usb), mount the root and efi partitions, chroot to the / partition, and recreate grub config and reinstall grub if necessary.

• @karasu
    I understand what a rolling release is, but that you must update often is little too much and strange for me.

Yes, i know all of that, see my Antergos wiki page like i described.
    Part from the url because otherwise this forum blocks my post:
    install-dual-boot-macos-x-antergos-on-a-macbookpro-91-mid-2012

Don’t like systemd, stop liking grub. :-)

Like i have written; grub isn’t installed plus i have already described the problem in an older post but nobody ever replied on that.
    It’s also described in my wiki page, see above.

I think the problem is only with Mac computers:
    When there are two or more hard drives in a (Mac) computer then there are two EFI partitions. The strange thing is that one of the EFI partitions can be once disk0s1 and the next time disk1s1.
    It seams that Cnchi mixed them up and at the end there’s no grub installed in one of the two EFI partitions.
    This problem i have seen on two different MacBook Pro’s from different build years, i have no other computer to test.

@Antergos
    Could you keep this in mind for the next liv iso?
    I am willing to test.

• @bartatantergos said

I understand what a rolling release is, but that you must update often is little too much and strange for me.

Dear friend, please, do remember that this is only a forum run by the community, NOT a 24/7 customer care of some enterprise.
    On one hand you obviously insist on running an OS whose maintenance rolling philosophy is “too much and strange” for you. So, bound to break for sure at some time.
    On the other hand, you keep repeating all those “Can somebody explain clearly and complete how to”, in a rather angry and demanding manner which I really find unacceptable. I felt as if I had to apologize for treating a customer badly.
    I guess few people here use a Mac, so help can be nothing but limited. Still, do consider: is there any point if rolling release is too much care for you? It might save you from coming back after another 8 months trying to employ new tricks because the old ones (which a user voluntarily wrote and posted) are outdated.
    With lots of respect

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• @anarch I think you misunderstood him. It was he, with all his goodwill, that wrote an article in our wiki to help mac users. Maybe the tone was not perfect, but he meant no harm, I’m sure ;)

@bartatantergos You can guess that not many Macbook pro users come to this forum. I own a Macbook pro, but to be honest, I use a VM with Antergos. Maybe I’ll start digging in all these issues when I have the time, but I can’t promise anything.
    And maybe the rolling release model is not suited to you, well, maybe.

• @karasu said

It was he, with all his goodwill, that wrote an article in our wiki to help mac users.

No misunderstanding at all. I didn t simply read the thread but studied it. I was aware of who wrote the wiki article. I mentioned it only to emphasize the fact that everything here is voluntary, there s good will and no demands or responsibilities can be held. Especially when it is clearly stated that Ι cannot go along the nature of my rolling release OS.
    With all respect to the pesron. nothing more than a matter of principle, nothing personal, no hard feelings.:+1:

Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500

• No, Karasu is right and my tone was little hard because of frustration and to get heard. I have read a lot about Linux before jumping into it. Antergos, Arch and rolling release came out for me as the perfect jump and way to learn more about Linux.

So, as a beginner into linux, i have gone thru many late evenings to get it installed properly and wrote the wiki page to help Mac users make the jump or at least has the possibility to try Antergos/Arch.
    But i wasn’t aware that you “must” update the system all time and that it will be so difficult to keep it running smootly.

Also on MacOs (21 years) i use the terminal, so that wasn’t new but still quite different.

Plus the biggest part of my post is that i point out to what the problem can be (the strange switch of the partitions) and that i am willing to help. So i don’t understand completly what’s soo bad about my post.

But ok, maybe i have to refresh my idea what i want from linux and skip the rolling release way. Then in my view the next in the pure Linux distro’s is Debian.

• @bartatantergos , no hard feelings as I have already said. I can understand your frustration. Looking at it in a positive way, our mistakes are our experience. I hope Karasu s recommendations will help you restore your system and us keeping seeing you in our company.
    After all, the frequent updates of the OS are no big deal. Too lazy for that? There s always the alternative of using the automated updater to run almost trouble-free (nothing is perfect in this world)…
    Keep smiling!:+1:

• @anarch It’s not about being lazy, it’s about having a slow internet connection. So, when i am in a place with fast internet and i have time i launch the updater manually. And that’s where things have gone wrong.

My smile was gone with your previous hard reply, now it’s back.
    My idea now is to try to get Antergos running again, but also install Debian. I will switch between them for a month and see what works best for me.

Another question linked too this post:
    Am i right that the only difference between an installation on a iMac and one on a MacBook Pro should be the graphic card drivers?
    Could i install Antergos on a iMac and then clone it on a MacBook Pro?
    And then install the correct graphic drivers?

• @bartatantergos said

My smile was gone with your previous hard reply, now it’s back.

Relieved to hear!:+1:

@bartatantergos said

having a slow internet connection. So, when i am in a place with fast internet and i have time i launch the updater manually. And that’s where things have gone wrong.

Adopt the habit of updating daily. I myself always update my system twice a day, you know that saying : “first thing in the morning and last at night”. This way, updates only on special massive upgrades are more than a 2 digit number of MBs.
    Cheers

efi6 grub69 installation194 error174 Posts 10Views 1016