• Keyboard Layout incorrectly set to Canadian French after installation

During installation my keyboard layout defaulted to Canadian English. I tested the layout in the provided text box and the layout worked properly.

Post-installation, my system keyboard layout is set to Canadian French, and I’m not sure how to change it back to English system-wide. I know I can do so within Xfce’s Keyboard Settings tool, but this does not affect the login screen.

EDIT with solution:
    Run localectl to get your current system layouts. You’ll get an output similar to this:

System Locale: LANG=en_CA.UTF-8
           VC Keymap: us
          X11 Layout: us

To change your VC Keymap, run sudo localectl set-keymap us replacing ‘us’ with your desired keymap. For a list of possible keymaps, run localectl list-keymaps.

To change your X11 Keymap (and this was the issue in my case) run sudo localectl set-x11-keymap us replacing ‘us’ with your desired keymap. For a list of possible x11 keymaps, run localectl list-x11-keymap-layouts.

• @DanielPowerNL said in Keyboard Layout incorrectly set to Canadian French after installation:

Following the instructions on the Arch Wiki, I changed the text in /etc/vconsole.conf to ‘TEXT=us’…

Could you paste a link to ArchWiki where it says this? Never seen anything similar there.

…and restarted, but this didn’t seem to change anything.

It won’t never. The correct syntax for keyboard setting in /etc/vconsole.conf is:

KEYMAP=us

Though it will set the keyboard to English (US), not to Canadian English. I don’t know the correct country code for it, to use instead of us.

• Sorry, I made a mistake in my post. I did actually change the text of vconsole.conf to ‘KEYMAP=us’, not ‘TEXT=us’. (The file originally contained ‘KEYMAP=cf’.

There is no country code for Canadian English, since it just uses the US English keyboard layout. I’m thinking there’s a bug in cnchi that incorrectly sets the keyboard layout to Canadian French instead of US when the language is set to Canadian English.

Changing vconsole.conf seems to have changed nothing. My keyboard layout remains Canadian French after rebooting.

• @DanielPowerNL said in Keyboard Layout incorrectly set to Canadian French after installation:

Sorry, I made a mistake in my post. I did actually change the text of vconsole.conf to ‘KEYMAP=us’, not ‘TEXT=us’. (The file originally contained ‘KEYMAP=cf’.

Ah, OK, I suspected that it was only a typo.

There is no country code for Canadian English, since it just uses the US English keyboard layout.

OK, then KEYMAP=us should work for you.

I’m thinking there’s a bug in cnchi that incorrectly sets the keyboard layout to Canadian French instead of US when the language is set to Canadian English.

Yes, there is a problem in Cnchi - and in various other installers - that doesn’t set correctly the national keyboards to work at login. If fact, it is suggested to use English (US) keyboard during installation, and change it to a national one in the installed system.

Changing vconsole.conf seems to have changed nothing. My keyboard layout remains Canadian French after rebooting.

It sounds a bit strange… Did you rebuild initramfs after modifying vconsole.conf? The keymap hook includes in initramfs the keymap indicated by vconsole.conf.

It won’t hurt to rebuild initramfs by hand one more time:

sudo mkinitcpio -p linux

Good luck

• I found the solution. My system’s VC Keymap was set to us, but my system’s X11 Keymap was still ca.

# Output of localectl 
       System Locale: LANG=en_CA.UTF-8
           VC Keymap: us
          X11 Layout: ca

I solved the issue by running sudo localectl set-x11-keymap us

• @DanielPowerNL Perfect. Thanks for marking the topic as [Solved].

• Updated main post with instructions, in case anyone comes by with the same issue.

EDIT with solution:
    Run localectl to get your current system layouts. You’ll get an output similar to this…

For me, it merits to be placed in Antergos Wiki.

incorrectly1 canadian1 layout4 keyboard34 Posts 8Views 519