• [Solved] Cannot enter encryption password with some keyboards

Hi, I installed Antergos on an USB stick (for a portable system) and enabled encryption.
    Now I have to enter my password everytime I want to boot the system.
    The problem is: All keyboards do work in Grub, but when it comes to enter the password to boot the system, only some keyboards work.
    I already tryed USB 2.0 and 3.0, but there is no difference.
    This is very bad, because my built-in laptop keyboard also doesn’t work there. I have to connect an external USB keyboard to enter my password and boot.
    Also I want to boot the system on other pcs, without having a working keyboard with me.

• I’d try to move keybaord (and maybe keymap) hooks out of autodetection.

Edit the /etc/mkinitcpio.conf file and make the HOOKS= line look like:

HOOKS="base udev keyboard keymap autodetect modconf block resume filesystems fsck"

Remember to rebuild the initramfs after that:

sudo mkinitcpio -p linux

Just a guess. It may or may not work.

• @just Didn’t work, ended up with this:
    0_1479483794499_20161118_163640-1.jpg

• @Bleuzen You must boot from the USB with the Antergos installed (your USB), and rebuild the initramfs from inside the working DE,

On the image you’re inside the Grub 2 recovery shell, not in the working Antergos.

• @just I booted up Antergos from USB and change the HOOKS line using “nano /etc/mkinitcpio.conf” from the KDE konsole.
    After this, I executed “sudo mkinitcpio -p linux” in the same terminal / konsole and then “reboot”.
    I booted from USB again and got this message.

• @Bleuzen You’re using UUID= in the /etc/fstab. For some reason, it has been changed for the / partition.

Instead of UUID, try to use use /dev/sdaN notation. Usually external USBs are recognized as /dev/sda by Linux. So comment out the existing UUID= line in /etc/fstab, duplicate it, and replace UUID= with /dev/sda1 (or another number of .the partition that holds the / on your USB).

Edit

Grub 2 kernel boot line uses root= instruction as well. It must be also changed from UUID to /dev/sdaN. I do not use Grub 2, so can’t help with it.

• @just I tryed to reinstall, because i can’t modify files, because the system is encrypted and i didn’t have another working antergos installation to mount the encrypted volume.
    Now installation fails to install grub, which is strange, because it already worked one time. I will try it again tomorrow.
    After I reinstalled …
    Should I try this with ‘HOOKS’ again? I guess no ;D

• @Bleuzen said in Cannot enter encryption password with some keyboards:

…Should I try this with ‘HOOKS’ again? I guess no ;D

No, you shouldn’t - if you can’t boot from modified USB.

• I’m late to the discussion, but it seems to me that OP didn’t do what he was meant to do while being chroot in the installed system (/mnt for example).

crypsetup luksOpen /dev/sda1 root
    mount /dev/mapper/root /mnt
    [etc.]
    arch-chroot /mnt
    vim /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
    mkinitcpio -p linux
    exit
    umount -R /mnt
    reboot 0

The second issue (screenshot) seems GRUB or fstab related but I’m no expert. Clearly the GRUB_CMD_LINUX="" is not set properly or something.

• – Problem solved –
    … by doing updates.

boot137 encryption10 keyboard issue5 password14 Posts 10Views 460