• Steam does not run certain games except with Terminal command

Regardless of what distro you’re using, Steam comes with an Ubuntu 12.04 based runtime. steam-native is basically a launcher that runs STEAM_RUNTIME=0 steam, disabling the Ubuntu 12.04 runtime and telling Steam to use the system libraries instead.

The arch package steam-native-runtime comes with all the libraries you’ll need to run steam with STEAM_RUNTIME=0, but some games require additional libraries.

I’m not sure what exactly the issue with Portal 2 is, but it seems that it ignores your STEAM_RUNTIME variable and tries to use the Ubuntu 12.04 runtime anyway. Which is why you need to manually load the additional libraries with LD_PRELOAD before launching the game.

• @DanielPowerNL

LD_PRELOAD=’/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6 /usr/$LIB/libgcc_s.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libxcb.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libgpg-error.so’ /usr/bin/steam
    Loads and plays the game

LD_PRELOAD=’/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6 /usr/$LIB/libgcc_s.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libxcb.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libgpg-error.so’ /usr/bin/steam-native
    Loads but does not play the game

Running Steam(native) which your launch options does not play the game

and I can’t even open Steam normally

• Also, I’m trying to run the game ,Gear Up , with this command

LD_PRELOAD='/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6 /usr/$LIB/libgcc_s.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libxcb.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libgpg-error.so' /usr/bin/steam

, and these are the errors I’m getting

AppID 214420 "Gear Up", ProcID 22039, IP 0.0.0.0:0
    ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/daniel/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
    >>> Adding process 22039 for game ID 214420
    ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/daniel/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
    >>> Adding process 22040 for game ID 214420
    Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 214420
    Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID:  Caching Steam ID:  76561198053238632 [API loaded no]
    Fatal error in __driConfigOptions line 1, column 0: unknown encoding.
    Log file "Application.log" created
    Using settings "Application.config"
    Steam; Available languages: english,german,french,italian,schinese,russian,polish,dutch,swedish,czech,romanian
    Steam; Waiting for stats...
    Game removed: AppID 214420 "Gear Up", ProcID 22040 
    No cached sticky mapping in ActivateActionSet.

• Could you please do the following in the terminal and post output?
    1 Run steam-native
    2 Set the Launch Options for Portal 2 to LD_PRELOAD='/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6 /usr/$LIB/libgcc_s.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libxcb.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libgpg-error.so' %command%
    3 Run Portal 2

Make sure you copy/paste the launch options exactly as they are shown. Do not remove or change %command%. As for Gear Up, I’m not sure exactly what’s going wrong from the output you’ve given, and I don’t have the game myself to test.

• @DanielPowerNL

I don’t have portal downloaded lol

• The instructions I gave were specifically for Portal 2, and Portal 2 is the game OP mentioned, so when you said the instructions didn’t work, I assumed you meant with Portal 2.

What game are you trying to play that runs with LD_PRELOAD=’/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6 /usr/$LIB/libgcc_s.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libxcb.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libgpg-error.so’ /usr/bin/steam but not steam-native.

• @DanielPowerNL I think you’re mixing people up in this thread :P

I think the other guy will be thrilled to know his Portal 2 will work, but I’m talking about the game Meadows that works with that stuff and doesn’t work with the others.

• For Meadows, try setting this as the launch options and run with steam-native.

LD_PRELOAD=’/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6 /usr/$LIB/libgcc_s.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libxcb.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libgpg-error.so’ %command%

• @DanielPowerNL Game doesn’t load

Game update: AppID 486310 "Meadow", ProcID 25448, IP 0.0.0.0:0
    >>> Adding process 25448 for game ID 486310
    /bin/sh: /usr//libgcc_s.so.1: No such file or directory
    >>> Adding process 25449 for game ID 486310
    Game removed: AppID 486310 "Meadow", ProcID 25448 
    No cached sticky mapping in ActivateActionSet.

• Sorry, just now realizing that the launch options I gave in my latest post are exactly the same as the ones from my original post. I copy/pasted from your post above and replaced /usr/steam with %command%, the same way that I fixed Portal 2.

I’m not sure why libgcc_s.so.1 loads when you run LD_PRELOAD=’/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6 /usr/$LIB/libgcc_s.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libxcb.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libgpg-error.so’ /usr/bin/steam, but fails to load when you run the same thing in Steam’s launch arguments.

Sorry I couldn’t be more help.

• @DanielPowerNL Hey I appreciate the help in trying!

• @DanielPowerNL Sorry for the radio silence on the forums past couple days. Believe it or not, I had a light bulb moment and thought of that exact solution, but then started having problems on Steam itself. End result, I gave up on vanilla Arch and installed Antergos - I find this community to be a lot nicer and the OS to be a lot easier to work with. Way I see it, the behind the scenes stuff that I need that I would spend hours searching the wiki for on Arch being there from the get go far outweighs the stuff that I don’t need like a GUI for pacman and so forth.

Thanks for the help though!

steam68 games16 certain8 except2 Posts 32Views 8592
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.