• Installed yesterday on ZFS. Can't boot after a kernel update today.

Hi,

I installed Antegros on ZFS yesterday and everything worked great on my Thinkpad X1 Carbon. This morning there was a couple of updates, looked like kernel updates and I thought I was to install them (I came from Ubuntu where I always installed the available updates). The update took very long, more than 5 minutes. I didn’t pay attention to it and thought things went well. Then I reboot, I get the blue welcome screen but then a blank screen with this:

ERROR: resume: no device specified for hibernation
    ash: 1: unknown operand
    The ZFS modules are not loaded
    Try running '/sbin/modprobe zfs' as root to load them.
    ERROR: failed to mount the real root device
    Bailing out, you are on your own. Good luck

sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
    [rootfs ]#_ 

Even I understand that this is bad. Probably very bad to the extent I have to reinstall? Anyway, ZFS may not be such a good idea if I reinstall? I used btrfs on Ubuntu without problems, but I have read all these horror stories about btrfs lately so I thought I would try the hyped up ZFS file system. Oh well. Let me know how busted I am please! :)

Not a flying start on my second try to transition to Antegros from Ubuntu, but I’ll try again if I have to! :)

//Christian

• @lots.0.logs said in Installed yesterday on ZFS. Can't boot after a kernel update today.:

This should help: https://forum.antergos.com/topic/5418/zfs-on-root-and-kernel-upgrade-process

Thank you! The first post explaining how to solved this by chrooting from the LIVE USB media solved it for me.

//Christian

booting problem16 zfs24 modules5 Posts 3Views 427