• Like 0

Black screen after login

I’m running Antergos on my 2012 Macbook pro and it has been running great for several weeks. Today when I rebooted my screen went black following login to GNOME. There is an ‘X’ cursor that can be moved but nothing else. I tried setting “Gnome on Xorg” as suggested in this post but this did not help. Setting it to “GNOME Classic” did give very limited functionality to backup some files but is generally unusable. How do I fix this?

• Like 0

@gtho123 I ran pacman -Syyuu from the “GNOME Classic”. Now when I login to GNOME i get it if I click the mouse a couple of times/ Weird.

• Like 0

Hi,

I didn’t understand your second post. Do you mean that Gnome session is working again?

• Like 0

Yes, that is correct. Earlier today when I entered my login details a got a black screen with a cursor. Now when I do the same the Gnome session starts like I expected, although there is a black screen for a couple of seconds.

• Like 0

Could you try the LTS kernel to see if the issue is resolved?

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.04 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• Like 0
    This post is deleted!
  • Like 0
    This post is deleted!
  • Like 0

@anarch Would this take me off the rolling release of updates? Is it easy to switch back?

I’m a newbie so don’t really know the consequences of this but switching kernels sounds like a big deal. Could you elaborate on why it is advisable?

• Like 0

@gtho123
    Can you post your pacman log file?

/var/log/pacman.log

• Like 0

@gtho123 said

Would this take me off the rolling release of updates? Is it easy to switch back?

Not at all. The lts kernel is more conservative, thus, more stable. You ll have both kernels in your system and both will keep upgrading. On your lboot screen you ll have both options (the current ore in the “Andanced Options” to choose with which one to boot. I find the lts kernel more suitable for older hardware such as ours and this is what I m using myself… If you want to try:
    sudo pacman linux-lts
    sudo pacman linux-lts-headers (in case you want to run a virtualbox)
    or simply look in pamac (the GUI software manager) for the said packages and install them from there.
    No need to mention that you can uninstall it any time you want with no problem for your system

Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500

• Like 0

@dgameman1 I tried but apparently I don’t have the privileges to post files to the forum.

• Like 0

@anarch I installed the lts kernel but when I turn my computer on it goes to the Grub screen like usual and there is no option for selecting between kernels. Under “Advanced Options” there is Antergos Live and Antergos Live - Fallback. However I am able to use the computer at the moment so the problem is not too bad.

• Like 0

@gtho123 , ooops! My bad!!! Forgot to tell you to regenerate the grub. Please give:
    sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    and reboot. You should see the options now. Let me know if the original issue was fixed

• Like 0

@anarch I don’t see any difference when using the lts kernel, there is still a couple of seconds of black screen before the GNOME session starts. However that’s not a big deal. My original problem is solved as I can use my computer. Thank you for your help.

• Like 0

@gtho123 said

Setting it to “GNOME Classic” did give very limited functionality to backup some files but is generally unusable. How do I fix this?

You re welcome. Actually I was concerned about your above statement of non usability. That black screen with the x cursor which runs for a couple of seconds is normal, I guess, under lighDM. I ve seen it in installations I ve made to friend s machines for quite some time now (I m not using lightDM)

• Like 0

I have the same problem and I have tried even installing nvidia drivers from l
    CTRL+ALT+F2 but nothing works. What can I do?

black screen9 reboot8 Posts 16Views 571