• Latest Gnome spin now my fav ! :)

Haven’t dual booted with Linux in a while…
    Took Antergos Gnome for a drive yesterday and it was almost flawless!
    Installation was just fine!
    Speed and applications behaved to a tea!
    But… could not get Firefox to install auto-hide or hide top bar extensions to work.
    That’s not Antergos fault but probably latest Gnome.
    Still, i just can’t stand seeing the top panel.
    That’s the major reason why i dislike Ubuntu.
    Also… was expecting HP printer to be setup without any personal footwork.
    That didn’t work either.

Otherwise, probably next version will be my default - Antergos is getting pretty and refined for sure!

p.s. disliked the Cinnamon version

• @danielson

btw, can’t log into this forum with username but only with email address.
    now, that is odd!

• @danielson said

can’t log into this forum with username but only with email address.

No, that s the way to log in, entering your email address.

@danielson said

could not get Firefox to install auto-hide or hide top bar extensions to work.

I didn t quite understand what you mean. Hide its title bar? Mine is set to only show only one line, the addess area field.

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• @anarch
    When first trying to log in, option to enter username or email appears as per:
    http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img921/8171/CIsA1p.png

“Install auto-hide or hide top bar” is in reference to Gnome Extensions available online that you can only install via Firefox. “Auto-hide” was more specifically indicative of the extension (like “hide top bar”) that can hide the top panel that appears in the OS which can not be “auto-hidden” otherwise.
    “install” dialog appears but does not work (“stick”) or really install for, the moment the web page is refreshed in Firefox it is still “off”.

• You re right about the forum login screen. For some reason it doesn t accept user names but only email addresses. I haven t looked further into it.
    As to the Gnome shell extentions:
    @danielson said

Gnome Extensions available online that you can only install via Firefox

You can also install them via Epiphany, AUR and a Chromium/Chrome extension.
    By the way, is the said extention compatible with 3.22 Gnome Shell, yet or hasn t been updated so far? Sorry, I myself not using Gnome and cannot let you know.
    ***You can always use the F11 key to hide the taskbar as a last resort, till it s fixed (you probably know that).

Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500

• I’m not sure which extensions you mean. Probably they don’t work with the latest version of gnome. You can check if you select “Compatible with current version” on the extensions site.

• @chrisflr
    If you can install these with Chromium, let me know:
    https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/740/hide-top-panel/
    https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/545/hide-top-bar/
    When trying to install with Firefox, install popup comes out, click on it and it goes away but nothing is confirmed and nothing really happens.

@anarch
    No, i didn’t know about F11
    Auto-hide is still best.

• @danielson said

If you can install these with Chromium, let me know

There s a Chrome/Chromium extention that makes it possible to install Gnome Shell extensions. I don t remember its name.
    By this, I didn t mean that you ll be successful in installing them. It was more an answer that it is not only FF that can install them, but also Epiphany, Chrome/Chromium (if its mentioned extention is installed) and the AUR.
    Also:
    @danielson said

When trying to install with Firefox, install popup comes out, click on it and it goes away but nothing is confirmed and nothing really happens.

Before clicking the install button, open the extenssions information to see if it has been updated to the 3.22 version. They most probably haven t.

• I understand.
    Didn’t know there was an extension for Chrome. Interesting!
    Do you think it’ll take years before they make them compatible?

• @danielson Maybe I didn’t make myself clear enough. There are a lot of gnome extensions, that just don’t work with gnome 3.22, no matter what browser you use. Click on your first link and you can read “Works on GNOME Shell 3.8-3.14”. The other one should work, though. I could install it with FF.

• @chrisflr
    I’m getting this message when trying with Chromium and Firefox for “hide top bar” extension:
    We cannot detect a running copy of GNOME on this system, so some parts of the interface may be disabled. See our troubleshooting entry for more information.
    https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/545/hide-top-bar/

The other extension does not work with Chromium (same error message).
    Although it does install with Firefox, every time i hit refresh it goes off.
    https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/740/hide-top-panel/

• Dude, please read what I posted. The hide-top-panel extension DOES NOT WORK in Gnome 3.22. For the other extension: Maybe you have the popups in FF disabled. Enable them and refresh the site. Hope that helps.

• Thanks chrisfr and, sorry for making you loose your patience.

• @danielson do not worry, we’re here to help ;)

@chrisflr I think that danielson had a bit of a problem understanding English (I might be wrong). Don’t give up and go on helping people. :clap:

• @danielson Everythings fine. I just wanted to make clear what I meant.
    @karasu Sure! Love this forum.

• @danielson said

I’m getting this message when trying with Chromium and Firefox for “hide top bar” extension:
    We cannot detect a running copy of GNOME on this system, so some parts of the interface may be disabled. See our troubleshooting entry for more information.

Above that message, at the very top of the page, you ll see a message asking you if you “allow” or “continue blocking”. You have to click on the “allow” button in order to allow the page to see your Gnome Shell version and let you install the extensions that are compatible with your version.
    I m talking about FF. I don t remember if Epiphany shows this warning and I have never used Chromium to install an extension.
    Keep smiling!

• For the record.
    Have recently tested Korora 25 and things went just fine to install Top Bar extension (via Firefox of course).

• Just use a window manager system, so you can have a cumbersome keyboard controlled experience just like in gnome without any panels.
    J.

• Have re-installed with latest Antergos iso and “hide top bar” extension works just fine!

Figured out how to get HP printer to work (previous issues posted here) and now i’m a happy camper!!! Yay! :sun_with_face:

• To get the same ability to install extensions from Chrome/Chromium as you have in FF, you need to install chrome-gnome-shell from the AUR

64 bit4 dualboot11 windows 109 Posts 26Views 2093