• NVIDIA Optimus - Xorg problem - Can't boot with NVIDIA GPU

Hello guys,

I’m a little bit confused to set up my new computer using Antergos Xfce, especially the graphics drivers. It’s the 3 or 4 times I reinstall antergos because of the proprietary Nvidia drivers…

Firstly, I want to tell you that I’m going to use my computer for programming and a lil bit of gaming (CSGO), so I am right to use NVIDIA only instead of bumblebee? (I want max FPS, I was running CSGO smoothly on Win10 with 200fps avg)

Some person tell me that bumblebee is equal to pure NVIDIA in term of performance, and some others that bumblebee is not for gaming… I’m lost haha.

The problem is that I got a Dell Inspiron 15 (7559), so an Optimus Laptop. I read on internet that I need to install nvidia only driver to use only my 960M gpu to get max performance, I heard about bumblebee, optirun, primusrun, PRIME but performance would be better with NVIDIA only. But if I setup a Xorg file (/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf), my computer get stuck on booting screen. (black screen + prompt on the top left corner, I can access tty using Ctrl + Alt + F2).

I followed the archlinux wiki but now I’m stuck… What am I supposed to do ?

Here’s somes files/logs that could help:

$> pacman -Q linux

linux 4.8.7-1

$> pacman -Q nvidia

nvidia 375.10-1

$> pacman -Q xorg-server

xorg-server 1.18.4-1

$> lspci | grep VGA

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 530 (rev 06)

$> lspci | grep 3D

02:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M] (rev a2)

$> cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf

http://pastebin.com/ks6NfEKG

$> cat /etc/lightdm/display_setup.sh

#!/bin/bash
    xrandr --setprovideroutputsource modesetting NVIDIA-0
    xrandr --auto

$> cat /etc/lightdm/

http://pastebin.com/VebWNUjQ

$> cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log

http://pastebin.com/S7sAcfA0

Thank you all and have a nice day!

PS: Sorry if my english is bad…

• You’re completely confused among Nvidia, Optimus, Bumblebee, Prime, bbswitch, optirun, primusrun. It’s not good. You’ve shared your doubts prior to installation. It’s very good. Avoid to install anything until you clear the ideas. Otherwise you’ll get nothing but troubles.

Start reading a very brief overview here. Then read Antergos WIki here. It’s a bare minimum one should know about Nvidia Optimus technology.

• @just Thank you for your quick reply. No you’re wrong, maybe I didn’t exprime myself correctly but I totally understand all these words.

I just want to know what provide best performance? Disabling the intel gpu and keep only the nvidia gpu? Or keep both and install bumblee to handle the Nvidia Optimus technology? (Because I heard that bumblebee method is not really good for games)

I already tried to switch to nvidia only and disable the intel gpu (see my 20-nvidia.conf), but as I said, my laptop won’t boot like that actually. (I have probably forgotten something in the config files…)

Thank you for your help :)

• @antergos said in NVIDIA Optimus - Xorg problem - Can't boot with NVIDIA GPU:

@just Thank you for your quick reply. No you’re wrong, maybe I didn’t exprime myself correctly but I totally understand all these words.

Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t understand your post correctly.

I just want to know what provide best performance?

Bumblebee. It offers the best of two worlds - extreme power saving and good performance on Intel, extreme performance and crazy power consumption on Nvidia.

Disabling the intel gpu and keep only the nvidia gpu?

Never disable Intel GPU. It’s the best choice for normal use, working with text, modifying the source code, compiling, Internet browsing, etc.

Or keep both and install bumblee to handle the Nvidia Optimus technology?

Yes, thanks to Bumblebee you always have two GPUs available. Use Intel for everyday work. Use Nvidia for gaming.

(Because I heard that bumblebee method is not really good for games)

It’s not true. In my graphical tests there was no any difference between Bumblebee (running on Nvidia) and Prime (capable to run on Nvidia only).

I already tried to switch to nvidia only and disable the intel gpu (see my 20-nvidia.conf), but as I said, my laptop won’t boot like that actually. (I have probably forgotten something in the config files…)

Optimus cards boot on integrated (Intel) GPU.

• I tried to install bumblebee using your wiki, all looks like ok but my screen is freezing 1min after the boot and I can’t do anything. I need to shutdown my laptop and boot with modprobe.blacklist=bumblebeed.

And do you know how to fix screen tearing? Because I have this issue since the beginning…

Thank you

EDIT:
    I found this on /var/log/Xorg.2.log.old, maybe it could help
    [ 2458.737] (EE) [drm] Failed to open DRM device for (null): -22
    [ 2458.737] (EE) [drm] Failed to open DRM device for (null): -22
    [ 2458.738] (EE) [drm] Failed to open DRM device for pci:0000:02:00.0:
    [ 2458.738] Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices.
    Configuration failed.

• @antergos said in NVIDIA Optimus - Xorg problem - Can't boot with NVIDIA GPU:

I…
    And do you know how to fix screen tearing?..

It depends mostly on various window managers and various DEs, not on video driver. Different tricks are applied to avoid screen tearing, in different environments. I do not use Xfce, and know almost nothing about it.

• Thank you for your help just.

Unfortunately, I’m giving up, I’m going to install a dual boot with Arch as my main OS and Win10 for gaming only, I’m done with all these problem, so frustating. Have a nice day :)

• Optimus, best of both worlds? It doesnt even support G Sync.
    That damned hybrid stuff is broken by design imho. Get a new machien with an 10xx seriens card where you can physically disable the useless intel thing.
    J.

• De gustibus non est disputandum.

optimus25 xorg23 nvidia112 boot176 Posts 9Views 1779