• Antergos Installer Error

I am using the 2016.06.18 mininmal installation iso which was the last available for 32-bit machines, of which I have two. On both machines, the installer comes to a halt with the following message:

Antergos Installer - Error
    `Cannot create download package list (metalinks)'
    Please reference the following number when reporting this error: None

Close

Since there is no other option, one has to click “Close” following which the installer also closes.

Very Windowsy-looking to a frustrated user but does any one know what I should do with this error message?

Thanks again!

• Hi,

As you’re using an OLD iso, your package list is not updated, so you’ll face multiple problems.

1. Check that Cnchi is updated. You should use a recent version (I think that the latest one is 0.14.190)
    2. Check your packages.xml file, there is from Cnchi gets which packages it has to install. You can get an updated version here:
      https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Antergos/Cnchi/master/data/packages.xml

You can tell Cnchi which xml file to use this way:
    sudo -E cnchi -dv -p packages.xml

I’m really sorry but we decided to officialy stop support for 32bit systems.

• @karasu Thanks! I guess I am a bit confused, because the installer goes and looks for if there are updated versions available and says that everything is up to date.So, then that should not be trusted? Many thanks!

• @karasu How do I get the latest file on to the installer? My question is that I have copied the xml file to a USB using this machine. But I can’t figure out how to mount it and make it accessible to the cnchi installer on the machine to install because the machine on which I am installing using the minimal livecd does not seem to have either a browser or a file manager. (I mean that the livecd does not seem to have a browser or file manager along with it.) Again, I am using the minimal livecd issued on 2016.06.18, Thanks again!

• Have you tried simply using the latest available ISO on your 32-bit machine. Depending on how old the system is, it might (really should) boot fine with the current 64-bit ISO. If you get that far, everything should workout fine with install as alpm will detect the arch automatically. Anyway, I think its worth a try. It certainly can’t hurt anything considering your current predicament :wink:

• @lots.0.logs said in Antergos Installer Error:

Have you tried simply using the latest available ISO on your 32-bit machine. Depending on how old the system is, it might (really should) boot fine with the current 64-bit ISO. If you get that far, everything should workout fine with install as alpm will detect the arch automatically. Anyway, I think its worth a try. It certainly can’t hurt anything considering your current predicament :wink:

OK I will try this. I suspect that the machine will complain that the LiveCD is not for a 32-bit system but since there seems to be no other way, I will try this. If it was as simple as this, I wonder, why would Antergos care to discontinue 32-bit builds.

• Its was only recently that someone mentioned that its probably still possible to install on most 32-bit machines (unless they are really really ancient). I cant confirm it myself because I dont own any 32-bit machines. Please do let me know how it goes either way!

Its was only recently that someone mentioned that its probably still possible to install on most 32-bit machines (unless they are really really ancient). I cant confirm it myself because I dont own any 32-bit machines. Please do let me know how it goes either way!

Sorry this went nowhere. I got what I expected. The kernel is 64-bit but the CPU detected is 32-bit. Thanks again for the help! Still time to keep looking for a solution.

• Damn. The technical premise that the guy presented when he said that it would probably work seemed pretty sound to me. I wouldn’t have mentioned it otherwise. Sorry it didn’t work out! Cnchi should automatically pull the latest packages.xml file from the web. Could you get the logs after it fails and put them on paste2? Here’s how you can do it on the minimal iso:

1. Open a terminal (there should be a terminal icon in the top bar)
    2. To mount your USB run: sudo mount /dev/sba1 /media
    • While sdb1 is usually the drive identifier, its possible that it will be something else depending on your system. You can see a list of drive identifiers by running sudo fdisk -l
    1. Copy the log to your USB: sudo cp /tmp/cnchi.log /media
    2. Unmount the USB: sudo umount /media
  • @karasu said in Antergos Installer Error:

Hi,

As you’re using an OLD iso, your package list is not updated, so you’ll face multiple problems.

1. Check that Cnchi is updated. You should use a recent version (I think that the latest one is 0.14.190)
    2. Check your packages.xml file, there is from Cnchi gets which packages it has to install. You can get an updated version here:
      https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Antergos/Cnchi/master/data/packages.xml

You can tell Cnchi which xml file to use this way:

I’m really sorry but we decided to officialy stop support for 32bit systems.

I used the other poster’s helpful hint to do the following:

I mounted the drive using.

sudo fdisk -l

I found that the drive on which the usb contaiining the downloaded packages.xml is /dev/sdc. Fine.
    So I mounted:

sudo mkdir /media
    mount /dev/sdc /media

Sure enough, on /media I have the new file.
    Then I do exactly as suggested:

cd /media

Cnchi opens up and goes through the paces. However, once I click the final install button, the installer goes to “Updating community database” at 34% and there it has been for an hour. This happened even when I did not ask for AUR to be installed. Any help now? I can keep it as is for the whole day but my hunch is that this is not doing anything except flashing advertisements of numix and antergos, etc.

Damn. The technical premise that the guy presented when he said that it would probably work seemed pretty sound to me. I wouldn’t have mentioned it otherwise.

I suspect whoever tried it (if it worked) did not realize that his/her CPU was 64-bit in the first place. Anyway!

Sorry it didn’t work out! Cnchi should automatically pull the latest packages.xml file from the web. Could you get the logs after it fails and put them on paste2? Here’s how you can do it on the minimal iso:

1. Open a terminal (there should be a terminal icon in the top bar)
    2. To mount your USB run: sudo mount /dev/sba1 /media
    • While sdb1 is usually the drive identifier, its possible that it will be something else depending on your system. You can see a list of drive identifiers by running sudo fdisk -l
    1. Copy the log to your USB: sudo cp /tmp/cnchi.log /media
    2. Unmount the USB: sudo umount /media

Went back and installed as I was instaling before karasu’s suggestion. Did not work, but this time went to the very end and said “Unable to install packages”. Here is the log file you requested. I am not sure how useful this is. I put it on fpaste.org:

https://paste.fedoraproject.org/481134/91442461

Hope this helps you decipher the issues.

• @lots.0.logs are these packages in our 32bit repo?
    And it seems that package-query needs an old version of pacman.

I’m sorry @itsme , but this looks bad. It looks like there are some missing and some old packages there. Maybe they have not been updated. As you know, we do not support 32bit anymore. Let’s wait for lots.0.logs, though.

2016-11-14 16:38:53 [ERROR] pac.py(276) install(): Can't find a package or group called 'antergos-openbox-setup'
    2016-11-14 16:38:53 [ERROR] pac.py(276) install(): Can't find a package or group called 'antergos-welcome'
    2016-11-14 16:38:53 [ERROR] pac.py(276) install(): Can't find a package or group called 'pamac'
    2016-11-14 16:38:53 [ERROR] pac.py(276) install(): Can't find a package or group called 'lightdm-webkit2-greeter'
    2016-11-14 16:38:53 [ERROR] pac.py(276) install(): Can't find a package or group called 'light-locker-settings'
    2016-11-14 16:38:53 [ERROR] pac.py(276) install(): Can't find a package or group called 'grub2-theme-antergos'
    2016-11-14 16:38:53 [ERROR] pac.py(276) install(): Can't find a package or group called 'waldorf-ui-theme'
    2016-11-14 16:38:53 [DEBUG] pac.py(286) install(): 227 target(s) found
    2016-11-14 16:38:53 [DEBUG] pac.py(148) finalize_transaction(): Prepare alpm transaction...
    2016-11-14 16:38:54 [DEBUG] pac.py(527) cb_log(): cannot resolve "pacman<4.2", a dependency of "package-query"
    2016-11-14 16:38:54 [DEBUG] pac.py(527) cb_log(): cannot resolve "package-query>=1.4", a dependency of "yaourt"
    2016-11-14 16:38:54 [ERROR] pac.py(155) finalize_transaction(): Can't finalize alpm transaction: transaction preparation failed, pm_errno 47 (could not satisfy dependencies), [('package-query', 'pacman<4.2', None), ('yaourt', 'package-query>=1.4', None)]

• @karasu Any news on this? What should I do? Thanks!

• I’ll look into it asap

Anyway, remember that we don’t support 32bit anymore, maybe you should search another option.

• Thanks for looking into it. I am sorry but “antergos for everyone” does not really hold, i guess.

@karasu said in Antergos Installer Error:

I’ll look into it asap

Thanks for your efforts!

Anyway, remember that we don’t support 32bit anymore, maybe you should search another option.

“antergos
    for everyone”?

• antergos for everyone?

Oh come on! ;)

We are a small team that we have our families, real payed jobs, … We do this as a hobby, to be honest.
    We decided that 32bit was not a big target anymore, as less and less computers do not support 64bit nowadays.

Thanks for your comprehension.

Cheers!

• @karasu said in Antergos Installer Error:

I’ll look into it asap

Did you look into this? Thanks again!

Linux is best for older systems because we are not always throwing away to get the latest because Redmond or Cupertino can not bother to write quality software. Besides, some not-so-old systems are still 32-bit: think ASUS Eeebooks which is where my troubles are.

• @itsme

I haven’t got any time to check this, sorry.

I know it’s not really a solution, but you could try Arch for 32bit and then add our repository.

Cheers!

• I know it’s not really a solution, but you could try Arch for 32bit and then add our repository.

Would that involve first installing arch? Thanks!

• @itsme said in Antergos Installer Error:

Would that involve first installing arch? Thanks!

Yep.

error174 installer33 Posts 23Views 3792