• gnome-screenshot auto-save directory can't be changed

Hi,
    The current directory is set to ~/Pictures and I would like to set it to ~/Pictures/Screenshots.
    I’ve tried using dconf-editor and changing manually the value with the following codes but nothing worked:
    gsettings set org.gnome.gnome-screenshot auto-save-directory ~/Pictures/Screenshots
    gsettings set org.gnome.gnome-screenshot auto-save-directory "file:///home/$USER/Pictures/Screenshots"

How can the default path be modified?

Thanks for the help!

• @fnc
    I have checked what you say and you have a point here, indeed. Maybe these settings sit somewhere else.

But I’ve found a workaround. If you change the shortcut from the default PrtScr to something else, this fixes the problem. The dconf change now is respected.

Keep Your Mind in a Constant State of Openness

• @NickTh said in gnome-screenshot auto-save directory can't be changed:

@fnc
    I have checked what you say and you have a point here, indeed. Maybe these settings sit somewhere else.

But I’ve found a workaround. If you change the shortcut from the default PrtScr to something else, this fixes the problem. The dconf change now is respected.

@NickTh I’ve changed the keyboard shortcut to Ctrl+Alt+Super+P. Then I changed the auto-save directory and tried to save a screenshot. Is that what you meant? Everything stills the same… :S

• @fnc said in gnome-screenshot auto-save directory can't be changed:

@NickTh I’ve changed the keyboard shortcut to Ctrl+Alt+Super+P. Then I changed the auto-save directory and tried to save a screenshot. Is that what you meant? Everything stills the same… :S

Yes. This worked for me. I added a new shortcut (Insert key in my case) with the command reading : /usr/bin/gnome-screenshot

Then, I changed the directory in dconf-editor (not gsettings) and it worked as expected.
    If I press the new Shortcut key, the screenshot is saved in the directory I’ve set.

alt text

/usr/bin/gnome-screenshot

I just try it, but it isn’t working for me >.<

@NickTh said in gnome-screenshot auto-save directory can't be changed:

That’s weird. This is what I use and in combination with dconf settings change, it works. I have tested multiple times.

alt text

Something else came into my mind, but I’m not quite sure for this one.
    Are you using the Wayland session ? Have you tried from Xorg ?

• Not sure if this is the problem, but I’m not COMPLETELY sure that the PrintScreen button does the command gnome-screenshot

Under settings > keyboards, I made a shortcut with command gnome-screenshot
    and ran gsettings set org.gnome.gnome-screenshot auto-save-directory "~/Downloads"

This let me use whatever shortcut I set for gnome-screenshot to save a screenshot into my Downloads folder.

SideNote:
    I tried gsettings set org.gnome.gnome-screenshot auto-save-directory "~/Downloads" and hit PrintScreen and it still saved the screenshot into my Pictures folder.

@fnc said in gnome-screenshot auto-save directory can't be changed:

Something else came into my mind, but I’m not quite sure for this one.
    Are you using the Wayland session ? Have you tried from Xorg ?

I’m using Gnome DE, not sure if I’m using Wayland or Xorg. Probably the default option cause I don’t know anything about them.

• @fnc
    If you are using GNOME with GDM, you can change the default session from the login screen.
    Use GNOME on Xorg as it is considered more stable.

alt text

Thanks

• @NickTh I was using Wayland and changed to Xorg but the problem is still there and nothing changes. Thanks for the help.

• @fnc
    Sorry to hear that.
    I don’t know what the differences could be between my setup , @slackerbot 's setup, where the workaround worked, and yours where it doesn’t.

• Hi, i don’t use gnome and i found a solution and posted here:
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/5389/print-screen-automatically-without-popping-up-the-screenshot-manager

After all configured you can create a keyboard shortcut or use easystroke to make screenshots very easily.

OBS: I know you probably just want to fix it, but for now is a solution if you’re in a hurry.
    Good luck.

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @fernandomaroto scrot isn’t working but I’ll try to do something similar as a temporary fix to the problem. Thanks

• Hi:

FNC

When you capture the screen, it changes the default folder, the next time it will save it there by default .
    Is easy…

• @Archrysler said in gnome-screenshot auto-save directory can't be changed:

When you capture the screen, it changes the default folder, the next time it will save it there by default .

Hi,
    I don’t if you didn’t read the thread, but the issue is that “the next time” it won’t save it where I want it to be saved.

• @fnc

What I’m about to say is not a solution to actuall problem.
    If you don’t mind, try the xfce4-screenshooter
    Per my opinion, is by far better than gnome-screenshot.

screenshot10 gnome37 gsettings3 Posts 17Views 978