• how to install correct driver for graphics card

Hi, I bought a New ASUS R558U Laptop with nvedia geforce 930mx on it. The first choice of OS i wanted to install was Antergos, And i was able to make it to boot properly only after few times of installation(i reinstalled it around 10 times:tired_face: , some problem each time, it needs uninterrupted internet connection. Guess what, most people have difficulty in getting a higher bandwidth still, why have antergos came up with this way of installation.) Any ways, i still love Antergos with Cinnamon. Then few days back i tried to install bumbelbee. I followed various tutorial, everything failed. At some point, while i was following some instructions from Arch page, that is where disaster happened.

I have explained the situation here. Since i cannot boot my system, I am using a friends machine to post issues on this forum. And since this problem i cannot use my machine, and also, no reply from anyone yet in the forum. im heavily frustrated that all my works are been delayed now. So with no further delay im planning to do re installation, and im not sure how many times i have to reinstall this time with having a worst internet connectivity(i’v got no other options other than this crapy connection).

So, can some one please help me, to install the correct driver,(im getting confused btw the drivers like optimus, bumbelbee and prime,… how to find what should i install) Please

• I think the only solution is to boot antergos live, then chroot your system and remove the package that is causing the problem.

So boot antergos live, then open the file manager (it’s a gnome session, so I guess it is nautilus). Find your system partition and mount it by clicking on it (or double click may be). Now, just right here, right-click -->Open terminal here.
    Now type pwd to get the exact path of the mounted partition. Copy it as usual.

Now

sudo -s
    arch-chroot "path to the system partition"

Then you can remove bumblebee or/and install the correct driver, etc…

At the end type exit, and unmount the system partition (click on the arrow in nautilus side panel to do so).

Reboot and see…

• And for bumblebee, @just has written a beautiful wiki page on our wiki.

Please, follow it and do not trust others, because they might be not updated.

Tell us if you manage to chroot to your system or if you need further advice.

Cheers!

• Oh, sorry, now I readed that you wanted to try to boot in text mode.

Non-Graphichal boot: Add systemd.unit=multi-user.target to the kernel command line”

Yes, in Grub menu, press 'e’
    Search for the “linux” line
    Remove “quiet” and add systemd.unit=multi-user.target
    Press F10 to boot

This change is will not be permanent.

Hope this helps.
    Cheers!

• @arvindh said in how to install correct driver for graphics card:

So, can some one please help me, to install the correct driver,(im getting confused btw the drivers like optimus, bumbelbee and prime,… how to find what should i install) Please

First, you should learn the differences between drivers, Optimus, Bumblebee and Prime. The forum is not the most suitable place to learn it. Very briefly:

• driver is a software that allows a piece of hardware to work

• Optimus is not a software; it’s the proper name of NVIDIA’s hybrid video technology; it may be used either thanks to Bumblebee (fully) or to Prime (partly)

• Bumblebee is not a driver; it’s a very specific software that allows the full hybrid NVIDIA video technology (Optimus) to work; video driver is included in full Bumblebee installation; it’s in contrast with Prime

• Prime is not a driver; it’s a very specific software that allows a small part (one third) of the full hybrid NVIDIA video technology (Optimus) to work; video driver is included in full Prime installation; it’s in contrast with Bumblebee

Second. Asus is the worst hardware for Linux, IMO. I avoid to deal with it at all costs. Still, repeating an installation is your best bet - but please, at least read the Bumblebee article in Antergos Wiki before reinstalling.

Good luck

optimus24 graphics driver5 bumblebee31 nvidia103 Posts 5Views 1333