• Can't Login After Upgrade

I am unable to login to Antergos after today’s upgrade and the fix involving dragging text with the mouse does not work. Up to now very happy with Antergos but now…completely stuck.

• I just installed the latest version 5 mins ago and have this same problem (selected DE during install was Cinnamon). I can’t actually figure out where to input my password. What looks like a text input just won’t accept my focus.

• If all else fails, open a virtual terminal > login
    Then
    sudo systemctl stop your login/dm
    then try
    startx
    Not sure that will work depending on you .xinitrc
    if you are using xfce
    the startxfce4 should work,
    This way you can check on what was update by going to pamac and check the hamburger menu
    and select update history.
    Might give you a clue as to what is wrong.

• Seems I have the same problem with Antergos GNOME. The lightdm login screen just seems not to detect the keyboard, no matter what key I press, after selecting the user name with the mouse, the text input box is unresponsive. Of course I can switch to gdm but at this moment gdm has a bug too, when logging out it hangs too long. I would like to use lightdm.

Intel NUC D54250WYK, 16 Gb RAM, 1 Tb SSD
    Multi -boot (no MS-Win &no UEFI) Legacy MBR with GPT

• Thanks for replies, I’m using gnome. I have logged in to a terminal and deleted the password but still can’t get passed the greeter screen, it blanks out then returns to where it was. I’ve tried downgrading webkit2gtk and lightdm-webkit2-greeter. I don’t know what login/dm is, presumably login to display manager? Nearest thing to that is logind.service which I can’t stop anyway. startx doesn’t work either. I’ve never heard of the hamburger menu and didn’t understand what was meant by going to pamac. I will look into that, but so far this experience has badly put me off antergos and I’ll probably switch to majaro xfce or plain arch, both of which I have running trouble free on other machines. Grateful for any help but generally speaking forum replies tend to assume more knowledge than I have. Surely newbie corner means what is says?

• @Eric_Shed said in Can't Login After Upgrade:
    Nearest thing to that is Grateful for any help but generally speaking forum replies tend to assume more knowledge than I have. Surely newbie corner means what is says?

Simplest thing to do, install gdm and login. When you are on the login screen hit CTRL+ALT+F2 to go to a console. Login as root, than type:
    pacman -S gdm
    systemctl disable lightdm.service
    systemctl enable gdm.service
    systemctl restart gdm

These will install gdm and get you to the gdm login screen. But it will not solve the lightdm bug :(

• @Eric_Shed , sorry, but I cannot reproduce it. Everything seems to be working fine for me. For the time being, I suggest you install and switch to gdm:
    sudo pacman -S gdm
    sudo systemctl disable lightdm
    sudo systemctl enable gdm
    sudo reboot
    and see if it got any effect. You can always switch between the 2 DMs anytime using the above commands accordingly…

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• @ant77 said

I can switch to gdm but at this moment gdm has a bug too, when logging out it hangs too long.

Sorry, but I cannot confirm this. Have you checked your logs to see what keeps your system hanging?

Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500

• @Eric_Shed said

Grateful for any help but generally speaking forum replies tend to assume more knowledge than I have. Surely newbie corner means what is says?
    Please, bear in mind that it s community users who keep it going, not a 24/7 customer care of some business. So, it takes both:

1. users devoting their free time to be connected here so they can see a post and
    2. to know the answer.
      Cheers.

• @anarch said in Can't Login After Upgrade:

@ant77 said

Sorry, but I cannot confirm this. Have you checked your logs to see what keeps your system hanging?

Unfortunately it seems this gdm bug only affects some configurations. But it’s not related to arch, I’ve seen it also in fedora. I searched a lot in different forums but never could find a fix or workaround. May be I should wait for next systemd versions

• @ant77 said

Unfortunately it seems this gdm bug only affects some configurations.

Ok, I see.:+1: Anyway, still, it is a better option than not being able to boot at all…

• I’m not complaining about the “service” I’m asking for simpler replies.

• I reinstalled with GNOME instead of Cinammon, and switched off prompt for password and now it works, even when I go to the lock screen. Weird.

• You could have enabled autologin in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf just by adding your username where there is something like"autologin=BLANK" to “autologin=YOURUSERNAME”

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @acron1 said in Can't Login After Upgrade:

switched off prompt for password and now it works, even when I go to the lock screen. Weird.

No, this is how GNOME behaves by default as far as I can remember. There s a setting in System Settings to disable it.

• Many thanks to all who replied especially anarch, fernandomaroto and acron1. Installing gdm worked for me and I’ve learned a lot from this experience.

• @Eric_Shed , thanks for your kind words! You are welcome!:ant:

• I have the same problem with lightdm.
    After last update I’m not able to login in gnome.
    The greeter shown correctly but after I typed the password the screen goes black with an X coursor and nothing else.

The problem is lightDM because if I switch to gdm I can login correctly.

• @gspe said

After last update I’m not able to login in gnome

In this case, I suggest you try the lts kernel.
    sudo pacman -S linux-lts
    It might also be a good idea if you also installed
    sudo pacman -S linux-lts-headers
    if you use or going to use virtual box,
    Then, Regenerate the GRUB
    sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    Please note that linux-lts will became default with current kernel being an option in the advanced options in your GRUB

• In this case, I suggest you try the lts kernel.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I can’t use linux-lts, my laptop is a Dell Precision m5510 (xps 9550), I need last kernel for proper hardware recognition.

I’ll wait for next update to see if it’s solved, in mean time I’ll use gdm and gnome on wayland.

upgrade36 login63 Posts 21Views 1846