• Failed to start Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Stack

Hi,
    It has been a few days since avahi stop working and I can’t figure it out why, or how to fix it

Nov 03 10:27:22 ant systemd[1]: Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Stack...
    Nov 03 10:27:22 ant systemd[1]: avahi-daemon.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=255/n/a
    Nov 03 10:27:22 ant systemd[1]: Failed to start Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Stack.
    Nov 03 10:27:22 ant systemd[1]: avahi-daemon.service: Unit entered failed state.
    Nov 03 10:27:22 ant systemd[1]: avahi-daemon.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

Searching I’ve found this post but it’s kind of old, I don’t know what to do with the “solution”, and I’m not even sure if mine is caused for the same reason, so I’m not sure what to do next.

Could you please give me any help/guidance? Than you in advance

• @Rzro Please open a terminal and enter the following command:

systemctl status avahi-daemon.service

Most probably, it’s ouput will tell you that the user “avahi” is missing in your system. This would be the same problem as described in the post that you found on archlinux.org. The solution references the install script which is supposed to get executed after avahi is installed (https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/avahi.install?h=packages/avahi). I just installed Antergos and am experiencing the same problem.

In order to solve it, you just need to add the missing user and group using the commands given in the install script (using sudo):

sudo groupadd -r -g 84 avahi

sudo useradd -r -u 84 -g avahi -d / -s /bin/nologin -c avahi avahi

• @danielappelt nice explanation. Someday I will learn about all this stuff and know how to solve it by myself. Meanwhile, thank you very much

mdnsdns-sd2 avahi3 stack2 Posts 3Views 1708