• What is the suggested way to install updates?

Hi,

I use the graphical update manager (tray icon) to install updates since I try Antergos. But is this the suggested method to install updates? I ask because in the Manjaro forum it is strongly recommended to install directly via terminal and not to use the graphical update manager to avoid several problems.
    It is save to use the update manager or is it the better way to use only the terminal in Antergos?

• Hi!
    In Antergos/Arch never I saw such recommendation. Everything is perfectly updated through pamac, without problems.

Russian fan club of Antergos

• @Noel said in What is the suggested way to install updates?:

It is save to use the update manager or is it the better way to use only the terminal in Antergos?

Yes, it is safe to use Pamac only in Antergos. Pamac carefuully tracks and applies all updates as needed.

Pamac is a very good software and update GUI manager.

But sometime it hides some detail(s) about the changes to be appied. The native pacman, in terminal, hides nothing.

• Pamac is safe for everyday use and headless updates
    • pacman (in termianl) is the preferred way for Arch users
  • Thanks for the quick replies and for the clarification!

• @just
    Unfortunately pamac is GTK3.
    J.

• Personally, I use pamac mainly as a (kinda) software Center. I can look for and inspect packages, check out dependendies, do some staff automatically. But for ease of mind, I want to have complete control over what s going on with my computer. I want to read what s installed or changed, so in case of a problem I will be able to sort out what might have gone wrong and fix it.
    In pamac this is not happening,
    I m posting a good and informative video tutorial of how to use pamac as a Software Center by the…notorious Spatry.:innocent:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwLoUJYA5A4

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• @Jeannie____ said in What is the suggested way to install updates?:

@just
    Unfortunately pamac is GTK3.
    J.

Yes, you’re absolutely right. It’s pamac’s weakest point.

• @just said in What is the suggested way to install updates?:

It’s pamac’s weakest point.

Ein?

• Probably it’s not the only. But pamac seems to be good enough for everyday use. For new Arch users.

Nothing is better than the native pacman.

I speak Finnish, English, Italian, Russian ony. Neither French nor Deutch. Sorry if I misinterpreted your post.

• Wow, speaking Finnish or Russian would be like a dream to me. I only speak Catalan, Spanish, French, Italian and English. As you see, most of them are Romanic languages, so it’s not a big deal.

Back on topic, I meant that I didn’t get why being GTK3 is a weak point. :grinning:

• Pamac looks super nice in Gnome :+1:

• Looks prety nice under Qt, too. If only they got any interested in making it fully compatible with Qt like many other GTK3 apps…

Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500

• I stick with Octopi, a native pacman frontend.

• @Jeannie____ , the only feature that s missing is the right click menu of the system tray icon. Not a big deal to me since I only use it as a notifier and Software Information Center. Here s why (according to my needs, always)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0crhf0kswo

• I use Octopi in the same way you described. Octopi has got a tray icon too, it’s called octopi-notifier and works perfectly ( including right click) on my plasma5 panel.
    J.

• I have used Octopi, I know it. Did you see the video comparison between the two? It was to justify why I prefer pamac over Octopi (personal opinion according to my own needs, use and taste, for once more, so as not to start a flame war)…:innocent:

• There’s another interesting alternative, PkgBrowser. How do you like it?

Russian fan club of Antergos

• is PacmanXG4 still around?

• @Jeannie____ said in What is the suggested way to install updates?:

I stick with Octopi, a native pacman frontend.

It wasn’t until just recently that Octopi was updated to use libalpm api directly (previously it had simply parsed the output of pacman). Pamac, on the other hand, has always used the libalpm api. I only mention this to ensure that we’re not spreading misinformation on the forum :wink:

Edit: And it just occured to me that you were probably referring to QT with that remark. Oh well, I’m sure someone will find what I said interesting anyway :laughing:

updates26 suggested1 Posts 19Views 1289