• Cinnamon Crash after login - Asus N550JK

Hi.
    I use Antergos Cinnamon for 1 month on an Asus N550JK. It runs normally like hell, i like it very much.
    But very often (mostly!) i have problems to start it.

In most cases cinnamon crash after login into fallback mode. Retry do not work (it crash again). I can use CTRL+ALT+Backspace to go to the greeter (login) and try it again. Sometime it works, but often the same problem come again. So i try to restart the machine and try again. In some cases i have to try 15 times, before i can use the system normally.

I want to find an error entry in some of the log files. Can you tell me, which logfile is relevant? X.org.log? Or lightdm.log? Or another log file?

Thank you.

[0_1477927795771_Xorg.0.log](Uploading 100%)
    [0_1477927966443_lightdm.log](Uploading 100%)

• Same problem here after a system-update yesterday. Cinnamon crashes into fallback mode after login and is unusable now (Intel 4600 graphics). My short-term solution was the installation of xfce.

• Same problem. After todays update my Cinnamon desktop crashes after i enter my password!!!

• Have the same problem. If started from commandline reports missing library:

cinnamon: error while loading shared libraries: libreadline.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Version of readline is now on 7. Does anyone know how to fix this?

• Found a solution you may downgrade the version of redline and bash, e.g. do

cd /var/cache/pacman/pkg/
    sudo pacman -U bash-4.3.046-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz readline-6.3.008-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

• Version of readline is now on 7. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Cinnamon packages must be rebuilt against readline 7

This will take some time, and some more until all mirrors are updated.

Sorry.

• @falkmarcus Old versions are missing on my system

ThinkPad x200 with Antergos

• @Danica_Talos said in Cinnamon Crash after login - Asus N550JK:

@falkmarcus Old versions are missing on my system

Old versions of all and any Arch Linux packages are available at Arch Linux Archive (direct link to ALA), with the depth down to 3 years.

• @just Iḿ waiting for cinnamon update. But, how can i update cinnamon without cinnamon-desktop? cinnamon-desktop crashes after login.

• @Danica_Talos said in Cinnamon Crash after login - Asus N550JK:

@just Iḿ waiting for cinnamon update. But, how can i update cinnamon without cinnamon-desktop? cinnamon-desktop crashes after login.

Sorry, I have no time to strictly follow this topic right now. I’m not sure that cinnamon-desktop package crashes the system. Anyway, yes, it is possible to downgrade it, place it on hold, and try to use the system.

1. If you don’t have older cinnamon-desktop version in cache (/var/cache/pacman/pkg), download it from ALA; see above for the links

2. Install the local package

sudo pacman -U [path-to-cinnamon-desktop-package]

3. Place it on hold in /etc/pacman.conf by uncommenting the IgnorePkg = instruction and adding to it the downgraded package name:

IgnorePkg = cinnamon-desktop

4. Cross the fingers, logout-login, to see what will happen :)

Good luck

Edit

If you didn’t upgrade Cinnamon yet, and it works well right now, then just place cinnamon-desktop on hold. Then proceed with upgrade. Everything but cinnamon-desktop will be upgraded. cinnamon-desktop will kepp its current version.

• I suppose this happened because the update of bash and readline went out before you distributed the new cinnamon packages in the antergos repository.

I have a few questions:

• Why do you have a seperate version of cinnamon (and related packages) in the antergos repo even if there are official packages in community?
    • Why is there no big warning sign ala “Don’t update bash and readline until we publish updated versions of cinnamon, your DE will brick otherwise” on the front page of the antergos website?
    • Why dont you publish the old, working versions of bash and readline in the antergos repo so at least people who didn’t yet update are safe?

I understand that managing updates (and the implications of them) is complicated, but now you are aware of the issue and could at least warn the users.

• @falkmarcus Thank you very much! Helped.
    @dmehren1 Problem and in Arch. Exactly Antergos here not guilty.

Russian fan club of Antergos

• @karasu There was a new version cjs. It is available in comminty Arch, in repository Antergos you it should awake to add? https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/51816

Russian fan club of Antergos

• @falkmarcus said in Cinnamon Crash after login - Asus N550JK:

Found a solution you may downgrade the version of redline and bash, e.g. do

cd /var/cache/pacman/pkg/
    sudo pacman -U bash-4.3.046-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz readline-6.3.008-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

Now, it works, thx. cinnamon-desktop, bash and readline in ignore list.

• @tuxnot said in Cinnamon Crash after login - Asus N550JK:

@karasu There was a new version cjs. It is available in comminty Arch, in repository Antergos you it should awake to add? https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/51816

7 hours 20 mins after the bug, mentioned by @tuxnot :+1: , has been opened, Doug Newgard (Scimmia) has closed it.

cjs is rebuilded to 3.2.0-2 now.

Fully upgrading Cinnamon after that doesn’t break it anymore. Upgraded Cinnamon DE starts properly after logout-login and after a full reboot now. There’s no need to include bash, readline, cinnamon-desktop in ignore list. The problem is solved, at least here.

• I don’t understand: cjs for me is still at version 3.0.1-2, and cinnamon is still crashing. How exactly did you solved this?

Cinnamon 3.0.7-1 is in the antergos repository (which has priority over community) … and in the community repository for arch, there is cinnamon 3.2. How to use community instead of antergos for cinnamon ?

• @ekureuil It’s my fault. I came to Antergos from Arch, and still prefer to be closer to Arch than to Antergos. My repos are ordered as:

core
     extra
     community
     multilib
     antergos
     netrunner
     apricity-core
     apricity-core.sig
     bluestar
     bluestar-plasma

Arch repos have higher priority than Antergos here (“old Antergos style”). Sometimes I forget about it.

You’re right, Antergos has cinnamon-3.0 in [antergos] repo. Antergos devs have their good reasons to keep it at this version.

If you want to pass to cinnamon-3.2, place the [antergos] repo below the Arch ones:

core
     extra
     community
     multilib
     antergos

Bear in mind that in such a case you’ll loose Antergos-specific adjustments and, worse yet, the support from Antergos devs. You’ll be alone, face to face with pure, nude and crude Arch.

Edit

BTW, Clement Lefebvre (Clem) still doesn’t release Cinnamon 3.2 in production, and still fixes various small bugs, reported mainly by Arch community.

• Ok, i understand why it works for you :-)

if I lower the antergos priority, I revert to a basic arch linux configuration, right ? I mean, the antergos packages will only be installed when they are not present in neither core, extra nor community, right ?

I am conflicted: if i do that, why use antergos at all ? In fact, why are you, instead of a pure arch linux ?

• @ekureuil said in Cinnamon Crash after login - Asus N550JK:

k, i understand why it works for you
    if I lower the antergos priority, I revert to a basic arch linux configuration, right ?

Yes. you’re right.

I mean, the antergos packages will only be installed when they are not present in neither core, extra nor community, right ?

Yes, you’re right again. Moreover, even if the [antergos] repo will have a newer package, with higher version number, than in Arch repos, pacman will install that package from Arch repos, even with the lower version number.

I am conflicted: if i do that, why use antergos at all ?

Antergos has many juicy, well-maintained, very useful packages, not present in standard Arch repos.

In fact, why are you, instead of a pure arch linux ?

I started to add [anterogs] repo to native Arch years ago. At that times Antergos (Cinnarch) was not as stable and shiny as it is now. Arch is eternally stable. Later, three or four years ago, I’ve tried Cnchi. It worked nicely. Installed systems were stable and practically bugs-free. Most importantly, Antergos was using the same repos and in the same order as mine. The [antergos] repo has been moved to the top only few months ago.

Everyone knows how unfriendly the Arch community is. By contrast, in Antergos I found a very friendly people. Gradually Antergos started to become a home for me. I feel myself very well here. That’s it.

Antergos is Arch with a human face.

• Thanks for your answers.

For me, cnchi was clearly a strong selling point, as I past that point where I wanted to know how everything worked on my system: too much time invested (i was using gentoo for a couple of years, then arch, and then switched back to windows for gaming and programming reasons …)

When I am nore familiar with pacman, I will try to change the repository and see how it goes.

cinnamon69 crash19 asus10 login72 Posts 22Views 3087