• Couple of newbie questions

Hello everyone, I am literally installing Antergos as we speak and I have a couple of questions:

I’m using Cnchi, how long does it take? It’s been at the “configuring your new system” stage for about 30 minutes now.

Also, is it possible to increase font size for the text in GNOME? I’m using it on a large flatscreen that is about 2 metres from where I sit.

Sorry if these are silly questions! Really like it so far!

Thanks Russ

• Hello everyone, I am literally installing Antergos as we speak and I have a couple of questions:

I’m using Cnchi, how long does it take? It’s been at the “configuring your new system” stage for about 30 minutes now.

Also, is it possible to increase font size for the text in GNOME? I’m using it on a large flatscreen that is about 2 metres from where I sit.

Sorry if these are silly questions! Really like it so far!

Thanks Russ

• @“ruscal”:13w4d1vh said:

[/quote:13w4d1vh]
    You seem to be having the same problem I had [here[/url:13w4d1vh] :\

[Does this answear your question?[/url:13w4d1vh]

• Thanks very much!

Loving Linux, wish id swapped years ago

• Just started the new installer off - runs a bit differently? It’s just downloading one big file whereas the previous one downloaded lots of little ones…

Fingers crossed…

• Jesus, its taking ages, seems stuck at 4%?!

Come on Linux, I had very high hopes for you!

• In case you don’t know Arch and Antergos require internet access to download the installation files - hence it’s always a bleeding edge, up-to-date distribution

If it’s taking a very long time it either means your internet is weak or the server you’re connected to is slow.

There’s a file where you can changeto a different server before starting the installation but I don’t remember where the file is located at right now

• @ruscal Were you able to complete your installation? Let us know if you have any questions!

Cheers!

• Thanks guys, yes I left it running and it completed fine.

Am using it now and loving it. Does it come with a botorrent client?

• Think I’ve found it, Transmission?

Ok, having a couple of flash player issues. youtube works but not bbc iplayer. I think theres a thread on here that I probably should look through, but is it a good idea to uninstall and reinstall flash player? And whats the best way to do that?

I have managed to install vlc by making myself “root” in Terminal - I’ve read somewhere that making myself “root” isnt a good idea?

Thanks!

Ruscal

• You need to be root to install applications.

On arch/antergos, you usually do “sudo pacman -S <[i:1u0zuuda]application[/i:1u0zuuda]>” - the “sudo” part makes you go root for that single command.

Regarding flash player the best way to reinstall it is by simply running “sudo pacman -S flashplayer”

If you’re still having problems with something related to flash player it probably can’t be fixed since Adobe basically abandoned Linux and the latest flash player v11.2 for it is about 2 years old - perhaps try disabling “hardware acceleration” under the flash settings, you can do this by watching a youtube video, right click the video, click settings and untick the hardware acceleration box.

If you’re using Chrome, however, it comes bundled with the latest flash plugin v12.0. To install Chrome you can’t use the “pacman” command because it isn’t in the official repositories. You’ll have to use “yaourt” so just run

yaourt -S google-chrome

Notice that i’m not using “sudo” with yaourt because it asks later for the password so it’s not required.

• Hi,

If you want to reinstall flash you can do so easily using the PacmanXG GUI. Search for “flashplugin”. Of course if you prefer you can use the command line:

sudo pacman -S flashplugin

As @Vidar already mentioned the “flashplugin” package contains an older version of flash that Adobe discontinued new development on. They have continued to provide security updates, but that’s it. If you are using Chromium, which you most likely are (it’s the default browser for every desktop in Antergos), you should review this topic: [http://forum.antergos.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1392#p5497][0]">viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1392#p5497 . Basically it explains that the old “flashplugin” package will no longer be supported in Chromium/Chrome beginning in April. What we are recommending to our users is to uninstall the old plugin and install the new pepperflash plugin. If you want to do that now and be done with it, you will find the newer package by searching the AUR using PacmanXG GUI under “chromium-pepper-flash”. Or from the command line:

sudo pacman -R flashplugin  
    yaourt -S chromium-pepper-flash --noconfirm

Let us know if you get everything working properly. Oh and btw, Welcome to Antergos!

Best Regards,

[0]: <a href=

• Oh yea I forgot that chromium comes by default with Antergos - I recommended Chrome because i’m almost sure that it comes with pepper flash by default with no need to install a separate package.

• Thanks for all the info Vidar, very helpful.

I’m having a play with Libreoffice now. I was using a couple of spreadsheets yesterday with it and when i try to open either one today, the Libreoffice recovery window opens, unfortunately without the option to either start or cancel it. The start or cancel buttons arent visible. I also cant close it unless i kill the process in system monitor.

Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Calc from pacman, no luck. I’ll try reinstalling from Terminal, if that would do it differently?

Thanks

Ruscal

• Doing it from terminal is the same as using the GUI (actually all the GUI does it hide the terminal and show you what it says in a easier to read format). I am not too familiar with libra office because I quit using it after I found Kingsoft Office which has much better compatibility with MS Office formats on Windows. (not to mention a much better GUI) You can install it using PacmanXG (it’s in the AUR) just search for “kingsoft-office”.

Cheers!

• I tried to install kingsoft but there are 32bit libs that cannot be installed. Do I need to install some type of 64/32 compatability program? I have never used a 64bit system before.

[img:1pt1tebw]http://i59.tinypic.com/33e3r08.png[/img:1pt1tebw]
    [b:1pt1tebw]Don't forget to mark your thread as [SOLVED] [/b:1pt1tebw]

• If I remember correctly, the current Kingsoft package only come in 32-bit form. If you are using a 32-bit system then it should not matter. However, if your system is 64-bit then you will need to install “gcc-multilib” (it will ask you if its okay to remove gcc, the answer is yes) Let me know if you still have trouble and post your pacman log (/var/log/pacman.log)

Cheers!

• it wouldn’t install
    [2014-03-06 02:37] [PACMAN] Running 'pacman --color never -S --asdeps --needed binutils-multilib>=2.23 gcc-ada-multilib extra/doxygen’
    I’m not going to persue this anymore.

• I’m not sure why you are having a problem installing Kingsoft-office, Max. I had no problem on my end at all.

Of course you need the multilib repos turned on in your /etc/pacman.conf. And the deps that need to be installed are:

pacman -S lib32-fontconfig lib32-glib2 lib32-libpng12 lib32-libsm lib32-libxext lib32-libxdmcp lib32-libxrender lib32-libcups lib32-glu lib32-libgl desktop-file-utils shared-mime-info xdg-utils

You actually do not need gcc-multilib (sorry Dustin
    [list:32z7f94c]gcc gcc-libs lib32-gcc-libs[/list:u:32z7f94c]

If you try again, Max, would you please list the 32bit libs that won’t install?

In God's love,
    †MaNNa <{{{\>< …to You all thanks and glory Lord Yeshua!

And Jesus prayed to The Father, "And this is the way to ete…

• seems I didn’t have the multilib repo enabled (must have missed that part) and now kingsoft is installing (downloading 143mb) as I write…
    EDIT Install finished everything is working- now to remove libreoffice

Posts 22Views 4109