• (EE) no screens found(EE)

I’ve been using Antergos for the past year or so. I recently had to reinstall it because I bought a new SSD. However, whenever I try to boot the minimal installer, I have nothing but black screens. So, I edited the boot option to add nomodeset. Now I can see output from the system trying to start.

0_1477757303134_IMG_20161029_100416.jpg

In the meantime, I’ve fallen back to Linux Mint, which installed no problem. How do I get past this?

Core i7-5820k + 16 GB RAM
    NVIDIA GTX 970

• @TheBuzzSaw said in (EE) no screens found(EE):

…So, I edited the boot option to add nomodeset.

Instead of a simple nomodeset, try to boot with

modprobe.blacklist=nouveau

parameter. It might work for your video card.

• @just said in (EE) no screens found(EE):

@TheBuzzSaw said in (EE) no screens found(EE):

…So, I edited the boot option to add nomodeset.

Instead of a simple nomodeset, try to boot with

modprobe.blacklist=nouveau

parameter. It might work for your video card.

Same result. :(

• Same issue here. Im using a “NVIDIA Corporation GM204 [GeForce GTX 970] (rev a1)”

• Same problem here : just boot with
    nouveau.modeset=0
    (press e to edit the command line and add the above option at the end of the long line. Press return to validate)
    Now you can boot your ISO and install with Cnchi.
    Do not forget to install your proprietary drivers.

• @rddl Cheers mate, worked like a charm!

• Uninstall the nouveau driver:

sudo pacman -Rc xf86-video-nouveau

It’s the root of all video problems on NVIDIA Optimus cards.

• Sweet. I’m excited to try this fix tonight. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Outta curiosity… is there a reason the distro relies so heavily upon Nouveau as the default? Is it a legal matter? Or an idealistic (stay open source) one? I wouldn’t mind so much if it would work, but I really need the proprietary driver to get things working properly. Can there not be a boot option to rely on NVIDIA’s driver instead of Nouveau?

1. Nouveau is the only open source driver for Nvidia cards

2. It might work well enough on simple, single-GPU Nvidia cards. But I don’t have one for more than 10 years, so cannot speak about it.

3. Hybrid cards detection is a delicate process. It’s wise to leave to a user the choice which driver to install.

4. These are my very personal thoughts only. The real things may be rather different from the above.

• I got the same result even with the new suggestion (the “no screens found” error). Any other ideas? :(

• I still need ideas. I cannot install this at all.

screens1 foundee1 Posts 11Views 711