• Linux (kernel) vs Linux lts

I installed in early Oct and I thought I picked the linux lts during install but I currently have 4.8.4-1-ARCH instead of 4.4.x. I’m not experiencing any problems with the current kernel.
    As I am new to Antergos, I wanted to request opinions from the community about if using Linux lts was better( more stable) than staying with the current kernel and upgrade path or should i downgrade to the linux lts instead?

Thanks!

• Hi!
    If you have picked linux-lts during install, then you are having BOTH kernels and you should see them before booting so you can pick the one you d like to boot with. In this case, default is the vurrent kernel and the lts is in the “advanced options”.
    If you have not, then, you can install it now. Fire up a terminal and sudo pacman -S linux-lts, or just look for the same package in pamac gui software manager. In this case, the lts kernel will be your default kernel and the current one will be in the “advanced options”.
    It might be a good idea to install linux-headers and linux-lts-headers , as well.
    Using the lts kernel does NOT mean downgrading kernel. It is a more stable kernel because it s conservative and more suitable to older harware. Curent kernel, on the other hand, is more suitable mainly if you are on the latestr hardware .
    Keep smiling!

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• Ah, I see the “advanced options” now and, yes, I have both kernels( 5sec. delay in the grub menu goes by fast). So I can choose the lts if I want–I was under the impression that I could not have kernel options( my Google-foo was weak-so apologies).
    “Downgrading”—poor choice of terms. I’m still happily acquiring my Arch Linux skill set. I understand lts is more conservative and current Linux is suited to new hardware. My lap is fairly new so the current kernel works well–I was wanting to ensure I had an alternative kernel installed or a way to install the lts if needed but its there already.
    Thank you for the help!

• You re welcome. Personally, I feel more comfortable when using the lts kernel, though I have to admit that the current kernel has let me down only once in 3 years and only for a couple of days till fixed.

Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500

• @anarch If I edit grub to boot using the lts kernel, does the current kernel continue to get upgraded? I am assuming the answer is both kernels do unless I manually hold an upgrade back.

• You re assuming correctly!:+1:

• @anarch said in Linux (kernel) vs Linux lts:

Fire up a terminal and sudo pacman -S linux-lts, or just look for the same package in pamac gui software manager. In this case, the lts kernel will be your default kernel and the current one will be in the “advanced options”.

“In this case…” you mean that the lts kernel will be the default one if you install it only via pamac or it does not matter, if you install it via terminal the lts will be the default one also?

In

• No, whether you install via pacman or pamacdoesn t make any difference. I meant that if you install the lts kernel AFTER you have installed Antergos, then the lts kernel will become your default.
    Whereas if you pick the lts kernel to be installed at the time you install Antergos, then the current kernel is your default.

• @anarch said in Linux (kernel) vs Linux lts:

Whereas if you pick the lts kernel to be installed at the time you install Antergos, then the current kernel is your default.

OK Thanks!

• @linuxited , you re we;come!:+1:

• @anarch It seems like lts is not set as default kernel when the machine boot up. All the time I need to manually choose from advanced options to boot. I also tried to set the GRUB_DEFAULT=X but not working… How to set the default kernel to lts?
    :sun_with_face:

• you can use grub-customizer to do so
    Also GRUB_DEFAULT=saved should work together with GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true (uncommenting)
    This will save your last choice like lightdm,

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• …or according to the Arch wiki:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB/Tips_and_tricks#Changing_the_default_menu_entry
    Cheers

• That means 0 for the first entry which is the default value, 1 for the second and so on.

Yes and what is the number of the LTS entry then ;)
    For less this grub-customizer is more simple then this and also give you a lot info about what grub is doing and can do, And of course it is also capable of destroying the whole thing
    Bild Text

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• Just mentioned one more option besides yours. :angel:
    BTW, counting entries is less dangerous than grab customizer, as you ve already warned (I ve had a very nasty experience back in my early `buntu days)…:bomb:
    Entries 1 & 2 are what you can see in the boot screen ana then entries 3, 4, 5, etc counting them when opening the Advanced Options

• @joekamprad Thank you very much!
    But I do prefer doing this just modifying a few configs or some simple command like grub-set-default, grub-customizer needs additional dependencies and I don’t like to do such a simple thing with a lot of packages.
    While setting GRUB_DEFAULT=saved, GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true or set the GRUB_DEFAULT=2 which is the LTS kernel index, these two not working for me…:zap:

Also, I do think this should be fixed for future installation, I mean setting the default kernel to LTS if you check the LTS kernel in installation steps which many people prefer to do so…

• you can also start with lts kernel and uninstall the latest kernel if you do not make use of it.
    But i do not know that this would not work, i try here also and none of them has any effect to the “highlighted entry” what is loading…
    But this is (was) the standard way to change this for ghrub… i do change the colors and this works, but the default entry has no effect at all!
    Seems like there was some extra configuration done by Antergos @developers ?

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• @joekamprad My problem now is this method is not working. Is it due to the /boot/efi disk that I am using to install Antergos cuz it’s required… And I see this in the guide.
    0_1493329517598_upload-f7eca440-86f1-4498-b5cc-c57491f6902f

• @joekamprad Got you. Probably because the Advanced options are counted as entries… Thanks

• But i have to say that grub-customizer do the job here… i can change all boot entrys as i want.

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

kernel74 lts6 Posts 20Views 4387