• Like 1

Linux (kernel) vs Linux lts

I installed in early Oct and I thought I picked the linux lts during install but I currently have 4.8.4-1-ARCH instead of 4.4.x. I’m not experiencing any problems with the current kernel.
    As I am new to Antergos, I wanted to request opinions from the community about if using Linux lts was better( more stable) than staying with the current kernel and upgrade path or should i downgrade to the linux lts instead?

Thanks!

• Like 3

Hi!
    If you have picked linux-lts during install, then you are having BOTH kernels and you should see them before booting so you can pick the one you d like to boot with. In this case, default is the vurrent kernel and the lts is in the “advanced options”.
    If you have not, then, you can install it now. Fire up a terminal and sudo pacman -S linux-lts, or just look for the same package in pamac gui software manager. In this case, the lts kernel will be your default kernel and the current one will be in the “advanced options”.
    It might be a good idea to install linux-headers and linux-lts-headers , as well.
    Using the lts kernel does NOT mean downgrading kernel. It is a more stable kernel because it s conservative and more suitable to older harware. Curent kernel, on the other hand, is more suitable mainly if you are on the latestr hardware .
    Keep smiling!

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.04 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• Like 0

Ah, I see the “advanced options” now and, yes, I have both kernels( 5sec. delay in the grub menu goes by fast). So I can choose the lts if I want–I was under the impression that I could not have kernel options( my Google-foo was weak-so apologies).
    “Downgrading”—poor choice of terms. I’m still happily acquiring my Arch Linux skill set. I understand lts is more conservative and current Linux is suited to new hardware. My lap is fairly new so the current kernel works well–I was wanting to ensure I had an alternative kernel installed or a way to install the lts if needed but its there already.
    Thank you for the help!

• Like 0

You re welcome. Personally, I feel more comfortable when using the lts kernel, though I have to admit that the current kernel has let me down only once in 3 years and only for a couple of days till fixed.

Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500

• Like 0

@anarch If I edit grub to boot using the lts kernel, does the current kernel continue to get upgraded? I am assuming the answer is both kernels do unless I manually hold an upgrade back.

• Like 0

You re assuming correctly!:+1:

• Like 0

@anarch said in Linux (kernel) vs Linux lts:

Fire up a terminal and sudo pacman -S linux-lts, or just look for the same package in pamac gui software manager. In this case, the lts kernel will be your default kernel and the current one will be in the “advanced options”.

“In this case…” you mean that the lts kernel will be the default one if you install it only via pamac or it does not matter, if you install it via terminal the lts will be the default one also?

In

• Like 0

No, whether you install via pacman or pamacdoesn t make any difference. I meant that if you install the lts kernel AFTER you have installed Antergos, then the lts kernel will become your default.
    Whereas if you pick the lts kernel to be installed at the time you install Antergos, then the current kernel is your default.

• Like 0

@anarch said in Linux (kernel) vs Linux lts:

Whereas if you pick the lts kernel to be installed at the time you install Antergos, then the current kernel is your default.

OK Thanks!

• Like 0

@linuxited , you re we;come!:+1:

lts5 kernel56 Posts 10Views 1385