• ungoogled-chromium project

https://github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium#supported-platforms-and-distributions

what do you guys think about this project? :question:

i always assumed using chromium that i am using something that is free of googles eyes but i guess not. cant wait until this is ported in to Arch. maybe it will make its way in to the antergos repo after a while ;)

• @megaman I have looked at it and discussed it with some friends. see here: http://www.ghacks.net/2016/10/05/ungoogled-chromium-removes-google-traces-from-chromium/
    My concern is that it appears to be a young, solo project and the sole contributor admits to having little time for the project.

Have you considered Slimjet or Brave? Is your concern over Chromium referenced to this: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=786909 ?

• I think that in Antergos it should be necessarily, at least to me it is not interesting (because services Google are interesting to me and I do not need privacy).

Russian fan club of Antergos

• @Orlet no doubt its a new project and need to see how it catches on over time.

i have heard of slimjet and brave havent tried them out yet.

really chromium is my favorite browser but i just dont like how google its services in to the browser. im trying to get away from google. if you are a heavy google user its not an issue but i would like chromium not calling home to the mothership.

if this project can take off i think it would be great to have a truly open source chromium.

• “really chromium is my favorite browser but i just dont like how google its services in to the browser. im trying to get away from google.”

I could have written this…I agree 100%. I’d love a Google free Chromium. I tried Slimjet on Netrunner 17(Kubuntu 15.10) and it did not perform well. I wish the new project well and hope others pitch in over time. In reference to Brave, everyone I know that has tried it loves it.
    So, I may try Brave soon and see for myself.

Anyway, if you end up trying Brave or the ungoogled-chromium project please do share your experience.

• @Orlet im trying out brave right now. seems to be very interesting. i like its based on chromium. just to let others know brave is in the antergos repo for easy installing if you want to check it out also.

• @megaman said

i always assumed using chromium that i am using something that is free of googles eyes

There comes Firefox, then. Personally, I m quite happy with the lean, snappy Epiphany (Web) as my main browser and in case I need any features that Epiphany misses, I switch to FF.
    ***"Google free Chromium sounds like an …Arch free Antergos to me!

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• I really like Qupzilla, its quite lean but works well. I’ve known for sometime Chromium “leaks” to Google but it is such a great browser I’m willing to wait until something better comes. I like how Chromium/Kmail integrate visually with Plasma than FF/T-bird.

@megaman I guess I’ll be trying Brave–wow, it’s in the repos. I’m rapidly converting to a full on Antergos(Arch) fan. :smiley:

• @anarch im a big firefox fan but its gotten slower over the years. hopefully its new browser engine they are working on will get it back to the top again.

i do like some of smaller browsers but end up missing extensions and addon selection that firefox and chrome provide.

• playing around with brave for a while i gotta say its looks good. lots of interesting features.

ill keep it around and keep testing it.

• I’ve also installed Brave. I understand why others using it like it so much. I’ll test it for a while and post what I find.

project1 Posts 11Views 663