• Install ISO (Minimal) does not work with ATI Radeon 2600

I would like to use my old iMac Mid 2007 with antergos. I am running antergos on 3 other machines and this is the first one that gives me headaches. The install ISO does not work, because X fails to start. As far as I have understood other answers on the internet, the very old graphic card (ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro) is causing the problem. Because I have no knowledge about the inner workings of current Linux distributions and the way X works, I am lost.

I tried other Arch based distros, but they have the same problem. Only a Debian based distro (Mint) manages to start a live environment. I have no idea what Mint does different (using a plain old generic VGA driver without acceleration?), but it works right out of the box.

Is there a way (maybe some magical boot parameters) to let antergos live cd (minimal or standard) start with at least a basic graphical environment that let me install the system?

• @steffen.eichenberg isnt there some alternative graphic options on the boot screen? i havent used them but thought i saw some graphic options.

• @megaman There are tree options that I see.

1. boot to install
    2. boot without graphical interface (fallback)
    3. boot NVidia (fallback)

these are not the exact phrases, but something along that line.

I tried to boot with every option. Option 1) and 2) have the same effect: antergos tries to configure/start X and fails. I did not expect that, especially with option 2). I tried several times (sometimes you THINK you selected option 2, but … just to be sure 🙂 ). Option 3) results in a black screen.

In the meantime, I tried the full ISO. The logs in the console are different; I do not see any X specific details. Just a message about antergos trying to start the graphical interface and then it seems to hang.

• Because I do not want to use a debian based distro, I tried other Arch based distros. One of them does run with my graphic card (at least as a live CD). It is Manjaro Linux (the XFCE edition). So at least it does not seem to be an issue with Arch, or at least an unsolvable issue. I booted using the default options.

• Hi,

Did you try to boot with the nomodeset or radeon.modeset=0 options?

• @karasu Sorry for the delay. I have been ill. I will try that this evening and report the result.

• I tried nomodeset and radeon.modeset=0 and radeon.modeset=1

With nomodeset and radeon.modeset=0 the screen is always black. No text mode, no graphic mode.

With radeon.modeset=1 I get to see the text terminal. Kernel starts, services are starting and then the X server fails with “Fatal server error: no screen found”. The Xorg.0.log file says something along the line:

Chipset: “ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 XT”
    [drm] Failed to open DRM device for pci:0000:01:00.0: No such file or directory
    Kernel modesetting setup failed
    Unload module "radeon"
    Screen found, but none had a usable configuration

• Just an idea: Manjaro is using the 4.4 LTS kernel while antergos is using a 4.7 kernel. Might there be a difference in the kernel modules provided?

• there is a way to force a resolution with nomodeset, but i don’t remember and i can’t find it, maybe then it will work.
    Did you try “quiet splash nomodeset” and just “nomodeset”?

The site beneath shows some options:
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2184839&page=2&p=12871710#post12871710

Options for Video problems:

nomodeset
    acpi=0
    acpi_osi=linux
    acpi_backlight=vendor
    noalpic
    i915.i915_enable_rc6=1
    [email protected]
    video=VGA-1:[email protected]

To allow Nvidia hybrid machines to boot.
    nouveau.blacklist=1

Portergos site
    https://github.com/Portergos/portergos-iso

Still in love with Antergos (default OS)
    I3wm

Linux newbie since 06/2016

• In the Xorg.0.log file of Manjaro, X Server is loading sub modules after stating

Chipset: “ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 XT”

The submodules are “fb”, “dri2” and “exa”. After that, it identifies my monitor correctly.

• @fernandomaroto I tried “quiet splash nomodeset”, “nomodeset”, “quiet splash radeon.modeset=0”, “quiet splash radeon.modeset=1”, “radeon.modeset=0”, “radeon.modeset=1”, “grub_gfxmode=vesa”, “grub_gfxmode=1024x768x16”

nomodeset and radeon.modeset=0 results in an all black screen from the time leaving Grub.
    radeon.modeset=1 lets me see at least the text terminal. I can log in, but the X server refuses to start (see previous post).

• ok, i’m newbie, i have no more knowledge to help you about this, sorry and good luck.

Portergos site
    https://github.com/Portergos/portergos-iso

Still in love with Antergos (default OS)
    I3wm

Linux newbie since 06/2016

iso62 radeon10 ati8 minimal6 Posts 12Views 1564
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.