• Impossible to start Wayland session after update to Gnome 3.22

When I start Gnome on Wayland session from GDM login manager I see only a black screen and the mouse pointer and my machine freezes. Any idea to solve this problem please?

• Have you installed “xorg-server-xwayland” package from pamac?

• @Makaveli said in Impossible to start Wayland session after update to Gnome 3.22:

Have you installed “xorg-server-xwayland” package from pamac?

Yes.

• Same here. Nothing has been changed, only thing that I disabled lightdm and enabled gdm just to be able to login. As soon as the greeter update released i reverted back to lightdm, but since then only xorg starts no matter what I choose on login.

• Any tip to solve this problem please?

• http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1773717

“It turns out that it is a deliberate change in the latest version of mutter. Wayland has been disabled for laptops with hybrid graphics cards. See:”

looks like you need to downgrade mutter.

• I have ati hd5870 that is hardly laptop or hybrid.

• Thanks, but my laptop has no hybrid graphics cards.

• seems a few people having issues with it over at Manjaro also
    https://forum.manjaro.org/t/gnome-broken-with-black-screen-after-stable-update-2016-10-23-manjaro-16-10-final-release/11483

“Ste74 2016-10-25 19:55:20 UTC #6
    Gnome has removed the support for catalyst driver , the only solution is use the free driver and in some case use the Xorg session no other option here .
    Unfortunally the gnome 3.22 set default sesion on wayland . In my hand works fine , only occsionally lag . At the moment use Xorg session and lightdm”

hope this helps

• My laptop’s video adapter is intel hd 4000.
    My desktop has radeon hd 4350 running with open source driver, Wayland works fine on my desktop.

• I am using mesa12.0.3 ( Gallium 0.4 on AMD CYPRESS (DRM 2.46.0 / 4.8.4-1-ARCH, LLVM 3.8.1) )
    :)
    quote from wikipedia:
    Mutter is a window manager initially designed and implemented for the X Window System, and recently has evolved to be a Wayland compositor. It became the default window manager in GNOME 3, replacing Metacity[5] which used GTK+ for rendering. Mutter uses a graphics library called Clutter giving it OpenGL capability. The name is a portmanteau of Metacity and Clutter.

i am confused

• Latest Gnome updates solved this issue on my laptop.

wayland40 session13 gnome250 impossible9 Posts 12Views 1701