• How to umount nfs external usb share

Hi I am using Antergos, kde, as main computer as home nfs server. I share some folders from main computer and a share external usb disk.
    The usb disk is mounted by fstab at boot on /mnt/seagate1. I would like to unmount the usb disk since it is not in use most of the time. However, if I try to unmount I get the message " one or more files are open by an application"
    sudo fuser -m /dev/sdb
    /dev/sdb: 403

ps auxw|grep 403
    root 403 0.0 0.0 34860 4312 ? Ss Oct18 0:00 /usr/sbin/rpc.mountd
    leon 11588 0.0 0.0 10756 2076 pts/1 S+ 09:58 0:00 grep 403

Any suggestions please

• @lmcogs If you don’t need it all the time, you could comment out the entry from /etc/fstab so it won’t be mounted at boot time and mount it as you need it with mount /dev/sdb /mnt/seagate1 and unmount it with either umount /dev/sdb or umount /mnt/seagate1.

Btw, it’s strange that you wrote /dev/sdb, usually I would expect a partition number, e. g. /dev/sdb1, was that just a typo. If not it would be helpfull to know your partition layout / filesystem.

• @lmcogs thanks for reply. Would there be any problems if I manually mount as suggested with the nfs share (/mnt/seagate1 in the /etc/exports file)? When I manually mount will it automatically get exported or do I have to exportfs -rav after mounting. I can try it and see if works ok.

As for disk it was not a typo. I got nothing when I did fuser -m /dev/sdb1. Here is partition table
    lsblk
    NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
    sda 8:0 0 236G 0 disk
    ├─sda1 8:1 0 200M 0 part /boot/efi
    ├─sda2 8:2 0 256M 0 part /boot
    ├─sda3 8:3 0 227.9G 0 part /
    └─sda4 8:4 0 7.7G 0 part [SWAP]
    sdb 8:16 0 2.7T 0 disk
    └─sdb1 8:17 0 2.7T 0 part /mnt/seagate1

• @lmcogs Strange, your partition table says /dev/sdb1 would be mounted and not /dev/sdb

EDIT:
    Concerning your nfs share, I have to admit that I dont know this, as I dont have any experience with nfs shares, but I dont think you can damage something with the good old ‘try-and-error’-method.

• @liketechnik2000 re partitions, could be that I should have partitioned such a large disk!

usb57 nfs2 unmount1 Posts 5Views 378