• How to restore windows option at boot screen?

I’m running a dual boot setup with windows 10 (Antergos being my primary OS) and I have a problem with actually getting into Windows. At the boot screen, I only have Antergos as an option for boot, not Windows. How can I restore the WIndows option?

Thanks in advance

• Anybody? … well, this is rather displeasing. :disappointed:

• First check that package os-prober is installed.

Then check the file /etc/default/grub
    Important is a line with following content GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=. This should be false.

If this isn’t the case, edit the file as root and change the line to true. After this you can run grub-mkconfig (as root too) to test your settings in /etc/default/grub. If they fit to your purposes you can run grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

For more informations concerning grub, visit the Arch Linux WIki

• You can also install grub-customizer which will help you to setup the boot options in your computer.

• Okay, I’m going to explain it more clearly now (since I’ve been trying to work on it and have sort of gotten somewhere).

Before I installed Antergos I had KDE 5 and I was able to dual boot successfully as well as on other distros. I’m not sure if I made a misstep while installing Antergos, but whatever I did/didn’t do, that lead to Windows not being seen at all at boot (albeit I could mount the partition that Windows is installed on)… as if Antergos was the only OS on the hard drive.

So, while looking for solutions I read about os-prober - which did not detect Windows. Updating grub did nothing as well. Then I saw about adding menu entries to a custom file that will direct grub to a bootmgfw.efi file which is supposed to be the Windows bootloader. So I did that and lo and behold a Windows option surface on the boot menu… but didn’t work.

I saw an error about an invalid EFI file path and when I checked I did see bootmgfw.efi… but it was a file folder, not a file (why that is I don’t know!). In the folder it had a grubx64.efi file. So I didn’t know where to get the bootmgfw.efi file, but was reminded that the Windows partition should have the file in it’s own boot folder. So I copied and pasted the file into the /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ directory and deleted the other folder.

I should note in between doing that I installed rEFInd which I thought would detect Windows but that didn’t work either. So with the file in place, I rebooted and Windows shows up. I click it and a new error shows up this time but it’s from within the Windows boot manager, not grub that says:

Windows Boot Manager  

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.  
    To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer. 
      2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
      3. Click "repair your computer." ...

So this is where I am currently at. The menu entry I have is

menuentry "Windows 10" {
        insmod part_gpt
        insmod chain
        set root='(hd0,gpt2)'
        chainloader /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    }

Hopefully that makes some sense.

dual boot21 grub76 boot163 Posts 5Views 888